New to an insulin pump - advice?

Hello, I think for me I started with a basal schedule that tapered off in the late evening, creeped up in the early morning, then got somewhat flatter in the day

Over time and tiny adjustments it started to get really close to keeping things smooth. The dexcom is really helpful for that… If I only had basal going and things started to move upward, I’d make a small increase the hour before.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind.

2 Likes

It requires a lot of work and includes a lot of hope on the pump! You must be on top of your game. You must monitor what is going on. The routine of swapping hardware is a pain. I now use the Dexcom 6 with an IPen. That is a much better package but does require beadwork, attention to detail and MDI.

GOOD LUCK Don’t bet your life on gadgets. Stay in the Captain’s Seat!

2 Likes

Sorry that’s been your experience, but not everyone has that opinion. Anyone on insulin must “monitor”, and be aware of potential mishaps, either by pump or injections, by human or mechanical problem.

4 Likes

Welcome Glenn - I appreciate your perspective. In fact I was quite resistant to using a pump for about a year (I’m a 62 y.o. type 1 w/ diabetes for 12 years now). And like you I really liked the combination of the G6 with pens.

This goes back to @amusesbouche 's worries - there’s a lot to learn and one has to develop new habits. Plus the thing is annoying. I know a bunch of folks who just want to take a break from their pump.

Gradually the new processes become habits - you get used to it and it ceases to be a thing - at least for many people. I’m sure there are quite a few people who try the pump and don’t like it - go back to pens or some combination of a variety of treatments.

There was also a discussion around lows up here someplace, and I would add that I have gotten pretty good at predicting when I will go low. What that means is that as I go low I go - “oh yeah, I remember now why this is something I shouldn’t be doing.”

I go low about once a week these days - usually with exercise and the pump. While the pump is great for control, it doesn’t deliver any sucrose so all it can do is stop giving you insulin, which is important. I’m sure I have less lows than I would w/o the pump, but I do still get them.

3 Likes

Thnx. I was T2D for 17 years yes, thnx to Agent Orange. I am 73 and was on oral meds for ever. Always high even with exercise and rest. Creative shopping helped obtain liquid support but finally t1d was determined and I quit flying because of FAA mandates. I used needles, pens, Tandem pump. Then I heard of InPen. It was a pleasure logistically to use and did not dominate my my daily/weekly planning. The noise generated by the pump running at night would wake up my wife. I was on the Libre 14 then Libre. The alarm would sound too often and create quite a stir. My total experience with Tanddm was marginal and now it functions as a paper weight. I am glad you are satisfied. Perhaps the professional support failed me but my control is now steadfast and my A1c rarely exceeds 6.4, often bordering on 6.0
See you later l. gB

2 Likes

I have been using the Omniod for about four months, and one pod did not inject insulin as expected. The symptoms are the same as if you forgot to bolus before a meal. Tis is why you will still need some pens in the fridge.

As others have said, my only regret is that I hadn’t done this sooner.

5 Likes

In the first week or so, I did experience a couple lows as using the pump got my sugars on track quite quickly. Have a low sugar plan ready to go just in case. My NP actually started me on a lower basal rate to start and I adjusted it after the second drop. Since then the only lows I have are because I overestimated the carbs in what I ate.

I am a retired RN and I found this overwhelming also. It is allot of info and decision making. I had good training rep support the first few weeks and my NP responded quickly to my questions and concerns.

I count carbs mostly and use a mobile app to do that.

Also, it is important to get to know your own body’s responses to foods, activity, monthly cycle, and illness. That definitely takes time and even then some highs and lows have no explanation. You just treat them and go on. You will not get it perfect all of the time, but perfect is an unrealistic and for me at least, impossible goal. Go easy on yourself.

One thing I didn’t have worked out with my NP was what I call a plan B- when the pump fails. Basically how to manage basal and bolus with pens/syringes until the replacement pump arrives. Specifically, how much of long acting to give and have active prescriptions in the pharmacy.

The other fact I did not know was there is often a difference in the value of your finger stick and the value of the CGM reading. There is a long explanation for it, but all you really need to know is that is normal and expected.

You’ve got this!

7 Likes

Welcome to FUD @Mizmarie! What a great first post. Thank you, and keep the good posts going. It is what makes hanging around here so much fun.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful tip! I am making a mental note.

And I appreciate the reminder that perfect is unrealistic and that you sometimes have things go wrong with seemingly no explanation for them. Thank you for the reminder to give ourselves a little grace (something I all too easily forget under stressful circumstances). I will take it to heart.

4 Likes

So where DO people stash their pumps? I hook mine on my bra or shove it in my pocket. I have a formal do in December and I’m trying to figure out where I’ll put it if I can’t snake the tubing towards a pocket (of course my dress is going to have pockets). I have a dumb belt thing I wear at night and I hate it but haven’t found anything that’s better.

And in the six months Ive had the pump, I’ve yeeted the infusion set out of my body at least three times. At LEAST.

1 Like

It’s a real pain. I’m a guy so cannot put it in a bra. Mine usually goes in my pocket which allows for easy access, although there have been occasions when I really want to be discreet (and need to tuck in my shirt) where it has gone in my underpants. The problem with that is that it occasionally will fall out of my underpants and then it ends up somewhere down my leg in my trousers. Awkward!

As for having the infusion set pop off, that has happened to me a couple of times. One time the plastic tubing got caught on a kitchen drawer pull-knob and I yanked it out. One time it was because I dropped the pump and the weight of the pump pulled it off.

@amusesbouche , you can expect to lose at least one infusion set this way as you get used to the pump.

3 Likes

One trick is to put a button hole on the inside of the pocket up high in the pocket lining. Disconnect, put the pump and tubing in the pocket, thread the tubing from the pocket, through the button hole, to the inside of the dress or pants, and reconnect. Cumbersome, but there’s absolutely no exposed tubing or pump.

5 Likes

That is BRILLIANT and I’m totally going to do that. Thank you–this has
been something that’s been confounding me for a few weeks now.

2 Likes

I am soooo not looking forward to it!! #diabetesfirsts :sob:

1 Like

Living for these nuggets of wisdom!! Thank you everyone :smiley:

2 Likes

I am debating going to a pump. Sleeping is one concern. What dumb belt thing do you use and where is the pump in relation to your body. I roll from one side to the other with maybe 10% sleeping on my back. I am guessing the pump would need to be somewhere on the front.

My other concern is I bicycle in full Lycra kit. Where to clip the pump so it is secure?

1 Like

Well, I’ll take a crack at that - sleeping is a bit of an issue - I put my pump in the elastic of my pajamas on my stomach so that when I move around the pump moves with me. I do notice it sometimes and sometimes if I don’t put it in the elastic, I’ll get all tangled in the tubing at night, since I’ll move around and the pump doesn’t. Also if it’s cold outside and you and the pump have become detached, when you feel that cold metal against your skin it wakes you up. The metal warms up to your body and your body is surprisingly adaptive, so most of the time you don’t feel it.

If you bike with a biking shirt there are usually three pockets on the back fo the shirt for food and other stuff. The pump fits just fine there. Also you can tuck it in the elastic of the lycra pants in the small of your back.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. The benefits of the pump must be pretty large for me to do all these things so that I can keep wearing it. I think that’s true. Even with all the hassles, it is more convenient than the pens I was using before. And you get better control.

2. It’s a pretty robust device. If you treat it with a certain amount of respect it won’t cause you any mechanical problems. They are built to last - at least for four years, after which point they will be very eager to sell you and your insurer another one.

Good luck. There’s lots of stuff on this board about pumps so you can get lots of perspectives, including those of folks like @Glenn .

3 Likes

This is what I’ve been using–I like it because it’s adjustable and comes in a plus size version (my refractory ascites from the damage to my pancreas means I have a Highly Variable Waistline so sometimes need extra length):

https://smile.amazon.com/BANDI-Unisex-Secure-Running-Adjustable/dp/B06XD4KG2C/

I put the pump on the front of my body–I am primarily a side/back sleeper (mostly side these days) and I’ve yet to yeet an infusion site out of myself from sleeping. Dumb Belt Thing also stays in place during more, ah, adult activities if you know what I mean.

There are lots of other belts intended to hold phones/keys/etc while exercising (mostly running) out there, some adjustable, others not–I’m sure there’s something suitable for cycling out there. I don’t know how much a concern weight is for cyclists!

4 Likes

I am not a gram weenie looking to knock of every gram on the bike. I could take about 2,000 grams off the bike by losing 2 kg. :sweat_smile: :biking_man:

3 Likes