New glucagon in solution going through trials

This glucagon is stable in solution (so can be used in a dual-solution insulin/glucagon pump).

Published in July 2018:

I think this was a Phase I trial. Here is the company:

https://www.adocia.com/products/biochaperone-human-glucagon/

2 Likes

Lately a Dutch company developing a bi-hormonal artificial pancreas was in the (Dutch) news again. They are doing clinical trials with their device (I think the founder might be wearing it full-time). I’m curious what kind of glucagon they’re using. I don’t think there’s any stable solution available yet.

1 Like

@Jason99 Answer to your comment with topic ~Control IQ problems. I thought is better to mention it here.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/12/10/1958317/0/en/Beta-Bionics-Receives-FDA-Breakthrough-Device-Designation-for-the-iLet-Bionic-Pancreas-System.html

The iLet Bionic Pancreas System was granted breakthrough designation in all configurations (insulin-only, glucagon-only, and bihormonal), including use with Zealand Pharma’s dasiglucagon, a glucagon analog with a unique stability profile in a ready-to-use aqueous solution

As you can see there’s also another competitive glucagon producer so I hope that the new stable glucagon will get more and more affordable. I’m waiting for dasiglucagon now for about two years but it takes a lot of time until the last study has finished for admitting a new medication that will help us very much.
By the way, the first iLet pump studies for FDA approval will be made with the insulin only activated pump - as I know. So we have two wait another five years to get this (now ready to use) very helpful pump.

@Eric I will do the he same like you, using two pumps, if I get the first prescription for the stable glucagon. Beta Bionics started years ago the same way.

3 Likes

The link target has gone I’m not sure if biochaperone is aiming to use it in bihormonal pumps.

BIOCHAPERONE® GLUCAGON GLP-1 FOR THE TREATMENT OF OBESITY

3 Likes

It’s monohormonal and it is T2 specific. It’s somewhat weird; they are mixing glucagon with exantide:

Exenatide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist (GLP-1 receptor agonist) also known as incretin mimetics. It works by increasing insulin release from the pancreas and decreases excessive glucagon release. Exenatide was approved for medical use in the United States in 2005.

So the left hand gives and the right hand takes away. The explanation is in the blurb, I added emphasis, in italics, to this:

Based on this promising research and its BioChaperone Glucagon formulation, Adocia has developed BioChaperone Glucagon GLP-1, a two-in-one combination of human glucagon and exenatide (Byetta®, AstraZeneca), a GLP-1 receptor agonist. It has been previously shown that the combination of glucagon and GLP-1 RA works by increasing satiety, slowing gastric emptying and increasing energy expenditure.

I.e. the exenatide turns off the glucagon response while increasing insulin production in the beta cells and the glucagon cancels out the first part, so the T2 has both glucagon and insulin, very like a T1. Somehow this “increas[es] satiety”, which is medical for “the patient is less likely to pig out”.

The whole thing strikes me as throwing brown stuff against a wall and waiting to see how brown the wall is afterward.

1 Like