Liquid (injectable) glucagon

All these hypokits still have powdered glucagon that needs to be dissolved shortly before use, because liquid glucagon isn’t stable. Does anyone know how developers of bi-hormonal closed-loop systems (e.g. Beta Bionics and Inreda Diabetic) have solved this problem?

1 Like

This company is hoping to solve that problem. I believe they have clinical trials going in many countries.

https://www.xerispharma.com/diabetes

I can’t wait for a glucagon pen that can do mini-dosing and a glucagon autoinjector that is as easy to use as an epinephrine autoinjector. Both would improve my quality of life a lot. Just last night I had an overnight low that lasted for four hours and would not come up. After eating a gallon of glucose tablets to no effect, I suspended my pump for an hour and a half, which skyrocketed me in the other direction so that I ended up really high. I’m not at home, so don’t have glucagon on me (I don’t carry the current kit because I would not expect colleagues around me to inject it, but I would most definitely carry a glucagon autoinjector that anyone could use with minimal training), but last night would have been a really nice opportunity to use a mini dose or two of glucagon to get my blood sugar up, and would have helped me get more than the two hours of sleep I got that night.

2 Likes

So sorry, @Jen :frowning:

We keep our old glucagon pens kits just for that purpose.

I have been following them too. Let’s keep our fingers our fingers crossed!

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t know about that company. A glucagon autoinjector would be so much easier to use!
And that G-Pen Mini™ would be really useful too.

1 Like

I have two kits at home, but unfortunately am away completing an internship right now. I live alone, so I wouldn’t be able to use the present day kits if I needed glucagon, nor would I expect any of my colleagues to inject me with it, which is why I don’t bring it with me travelling. I’m hoping whatever autoinjector emerges is a two-step process like the EpiPen that someone could use even when severely low (as long as they could think clearly enough, of course) and that friends and colleagues could use with minimal training. And of course, as mentioned, the ability to do mini-dosing will be awesome, I think

2 Likes

Michel recently split a thread on a post I made, discussing the difference I saw in doing mini-doses of glucagon when I was in a glycogen depleted state. The difference was amazing to me. Years ago, I also tried using glucagon when running. It didn’t do anything because I had no liver glycogen to spare.

I just wanted to point out, there is some potential risk for people if they continually use glucagon to treat a low. One of the lessons I heard early-on about glucagon, was that you had to return the liver glycogen by eating!

I hope they are still teaching this. I think this is especially important for people who are low-carb.

You don’t have a limitless supply of liver glycogen. If you keep using a glucagon pen, eventually your liver will shrug at you and say, “What do you want me to do about it? I don’t have anything left.”

Just wanted to mention that.

2 Likes

This:

Beta Bionics is partnering with a company called Zealand, which has a liquid form of glucagon known as dasiglucagon, which has been through Phase II trials I believe.

2 Likes