New Dexcom receiver

I received a call from Dexcom yesterday saying they’ve already pre authorized insurance coverage for the new updated touchscreen receiver (I hadnt even really realized there was one) and all I need to do is say GO and they’ll send it to me. Should I opt to do that before the end of 2017 it would be significantly cheaper (in the short run anyway) since this years deducible is already used up… I think I’d pay like 20% or something like that OOP… I don’t know if it’s worth pursuing at this point— didn’t really have a burning desire to have a new updated receiver before they called me, but thought I’d ask you guys since many of you are far bigger Dexcom gurus than I am. What’s so great, or not great, about the new receiver. Should it be a priority to get my hands on one?

1 Like

I trialed it as part of a study last summer and did not think it was much of an improvement over the old one. I was offered the new one but declined since I only use the reveiver as a backup.

1 Like

Do you generally use the receiver or the phone? You are more on the receiver because of job concerns, right?

I have heard (from multiple sources) that the new one is crappy. But if you can get it for cheap now with deductibles, here is what I would do.

1. get it for cheap now
  2. try it out
  3. if you don’t like it, sell it on eBay and use the money to buy an old-version
    model

That way it washes out, you are essentially swapping the new model for the old model.

2 Likes

I use the receiver more at work… I more often than not go without cgm when not at work… the thing I like about he receiver is it’s smaller size than my plus sized iPhone…

1 Like

My DME provider just sent me one, and a two pack of transmitters, when all I ordered were sensors. As a matter of fact they sent me six boxes of sensors!

I’m long done with my OOP for this year so it was no cost to me. I think they just sent the pre auth for the whole shooting match and when they got an approval sent me the $7,000 worth of stuff. I’m now set with Dexcom stuff for a whole year.

I figure that even though I don’t use a Dexcom receiver it’s a good idea to have one as a back up.

1 Like

Then stick with the old one. The new one is bigger than the old.

1 Like

That’s deal breaker for me then

I don’t exaxtly understand how it works with my plan, dme seems to be a separate deductible than anything else… and the cgm is really the only thing I use that’s billed in this category

1 Like

From what I have read:

• New - 2.5 x 4 inches
  • Old - 1.75 x 3.87 inches
1 Like

I wish I knew how insurance companies determine what goes where.

On mine pharmacy copay doesn’t count toward deductible, but does count toward OOP. DME counts for both deductible and OOP. Copay for doctor visits doesn’t count toward deductible either but counts toward OOP.

2 Likes

Yep, awkward shape/size and more trouble for me getting it into a jeans pocket. Same issue I have upgrading from my trusty ol’ iPhone 5s. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I was literally thinking yesterday that women’s clothing manufacturers never consider digital devices when making pockets.

I had an iPhone 5 and it was a tank. I could’ve dropped it from a building roof and it’d be fine. The 6 I’ve got has needed screen replacement at least three times. And I use a case.

Too bad to hear about the new Dexcom receiver being larger. So strange they went that route. Who wants more stuff to carry that’s enlarged?!?

I’ll look forward to hearing about what folks wind up doing. I’m wondering if we should try to buy the older version/Dexcom 5 to have on hand as a backup…

1 Like

Thanks @Thomas! I forgot the fact you don’t need a receiver. The G4 requires it. Someday we will catch up to the future. :wink:

1 Like