My trip to the ER!

I don’t think Afrezza has been discontinued.

1 Like

I sure hope I’m not starting some conspiracy theory about Afrezza. In truth, I just didn’t know anything about and found this: https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology/type1diabetes/55663 May not be accurate at all, but I thought there were a few articles on this topic. The site claimed the product had been stopped as of 2014. It is/was made by Sanofi, which makes Toujeo, a product I use everyday for my basil.

Here’s another site about Afrezza. The article refers to something that had been written in the WSJ. This says the product was discontinued as of 2/2016. Sanofi tried and failed with Afrezza. Why does MannKind still think it can win?
Again, so very sorry if any of this is inaccurate. I had never heard of this product, but I’m simply a regular consumer not a scientist or in the scientific community. I’m here to learn.

This was in the past. Mannkind had given Sanofi the right to market Afrezza, which Sanofi then neglected to do. Mannkind took Afrezza back when the contract with Sanofi expired and proceeded to market it itself much more successfully. Afrezza is available now and being used very successfully by a number of FuD members.

4 Likes

Gah, happened again (without the trip to the ER, thank goodness). I remembered your post, @Jubilee, and took action! High BGs, ineffective pump bolus, lagging G6 readings, 4 units of Afrezza, 2 pump changes, Zofran, lots of liquids, brisk walk, and bolus by pen: grestly improved, even ate a small lunch. This is so NOT fun!! :flushed: :disappointed_relieved:

ETA: My BG is hovering around 150 after a small lunch bolus and correction. Just bolused another correction but still don’t feel very well (though I am well-hydrated). Basal rate 10 percent more the last of hours…I dunno… :thinking:

6 Likes

Take good care and keep us posted!

3 Likes

I hoped I helped; it’s always good to write about your concerns and here is a great site to do that!

It’s certainly worrisome that you’ve had these extreme fluctuations recently. My (very unprofessional!) guess is that you might want to explore how your hormones, including stress levels, may be effecting changes as well as the old standard: food/liquid intake and exercise. For me, these changes don’t result in a hospital visit but can explain high BG levels. The pandemic has brought on lots of changes in lifestyle, habits, and routines – financially, medically, emotionally. Consider also that it might be worthwhile to check if your pump may need some adjustment (aka recalculation). But be leery, test often, and check with your doctor: when I was on the pump, small changes made a dramatic difference.

For me personally, my young adult son died four months ago and that sent my BG levels into a tailspin. Comfort food despite my lack of desire to eat, not sleeping, wintertime blues, etc: all did a number on my numbers. I know my stress level and food intake aren’t quite back to where I had been before this unexpected loss, but Spring and time have helped. Lately I’m trying to get more exercise. My A1C went up, but my doctor reminds me to keep a long term perspective on these events. I hope you haven’t had the same type of tragedy, but stress alone is that unknown quality that can play havoc BG levels.

9 Likes

Wow @Jubilee, I am very sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you.

4 Likes

@Jubilee Prayers and warm thoughts are being sent your way, along with a lot of hugs.

3 Likes

@Jubilee, I am very very sorry to hear about your son, no parent should have to bury a child. I am so sorry for your loss. Words are never enough.

4 Likes

I am actually in hospital: apparently I overhydrated worrying about ketones so that my sodium level dropped… Feeling better, hoping I can go home. Will write more later.

9 Likes

Sending warm vibes your way @CatLady

5 Likes

I really hope you catch a break soon…

3 Likes

Oh my goodness CatLady! If it’s not one thing, it’s another. I sure hope you get all this figured out without more problems and visits to the hospital. Please keep us posted.

Thanks all for your supportive posts. My beautiful son was a challenged guy from before he was born (premie), learning disabled (which is how I got into education and eventually pursued my teaching degree), bullied throughout school years and assaulted even as an adult (requiring 4 facial surgeries). He was brilliant but struggled with anxieties. Folks ask if he died of Covid, no, but it was the job loss and restrictions due to Covid that killed him. So much has changed in the four months since he died: vaccines, seasons (he also has S.A.D), declining unemployment rate, and new addiction drugs just approved. It helps me to come here and think about something else and someone else. Being able to express myself here is a cathartic release.

12 Likes

Glad we can be a safe place for you. Release away!

3 Likes

Well, I am glad to say I was discharged Saturday afternoon. At home, I enjoyed a happy reunion with my cats, a light supper, and early bedtime. I still can’t figure out how much of this episode was pump-related vs. illness. AllI know for sure was that my CGM was 50 points off at 199 (fingersticks 252 and 234) when I changed my pump and bolused with my pen. In hindsight, I didn’t bolus enough and didn’t think to raise my basal until later on. With a brisk walk my BG came down a lot but never responded normally to a subsequent bolus or two. Once again I also had GI symptoms and did take Zofran but felt worse after a brief nap, which is when we went to the ER. Haha I drove ‘cos my husband has shoulder issues right now. :flushed: :crazy_face:

In the ER I had a litre of normal saline and and the usual lab tests. Since my sodium was weirdly low, the ER doctor wanted to admit me. The admitting doctor made sure orders showed that I was responsible for using my pump to bolus. :smiley_cat: (We also had a nice chat about mindfulness meditation.) After that it’s wait to go up and get settled in and hooked up and try to sleep between blood draws and finger sticks. By mid-day Saturday I felt more like myself again and was taking walks in the halls to help my post-meal blood sugar. I am really grateful for my care and was totally relieved to be discharged!!

14 Likes

I learned from a doctor recently that high BG can cause pseudo-hyponatremia. Maybe your sodium wasn’t actually low, the labs can falsely read it as low as a side effect of the high BG you had.

4 Likes

So glad you got discharged and are feeling better!! :hugs:

3 Likes

@Jubilee, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for sharing his memory with us. :heart:

@CatLady, I’m sorry to hear about your multiple hospital tours. But I am glad you took care of business! :heart:

5 Likes

One more thought CatLady. Are you mostly using your CGM to monitor your blood glucose level? I really, really like the CGM because I like the graph, but I don’t trust the actual numbers. I find the numbers can differ from my meter anywhere from 20-70 points. Very rarely are they the same. I’ve called Abbott several times about this issue, but that’s how it is. (Biggest variations are when they are going up or declining quickly.) As my husband said, better than nothing.

So glad you’re feeling better.

bkh: interesting post. I get my sodium levels checked as part of my regular blood tests every 4 months and they are often low. I wonder if it’s a false read and related to a high BG instead.

3 Likes