My trip to the ER!

Yup, I ended up in the ER Monday morning with borderline DKA! GI bug came on suddenly and I couldn’t keep any liquids down, ugh. When my BG first started going up, I thought it was a pump problem, changed it out, and bolused. Wrong! I didn’t sleep all night what with going to the bathroom, inhaling Afrezza, and walking. My husband just looked at me and send it was time for some help. Two litres of fluid later plus insulin (from my pump, with the doc’s support) and I was discharged. By dinnertime (10 saltine crackers) my BG was back to 90-110 range, thank goodness. I had to go back for a recheck of bloodwork yesterday morning and another liter of fluids (not that I really needed more, IMHO) and today feel back to normal though still tired. My husband (retired physician) said he’s going to order some bags of saline and IV needles in case this happens again…which I sure hope it doesn’t!!

23 Likes

Youza! That is horrible, so glad you took your SO’s advice and went to get some medical help. Getting into DKA is rough.

6 Likes

eek! i know what its like to go to the ER…been there plenty of times for a DKA. end up in the hospital for a week, etc. only twice was it for 2 days. so far this year i havent been in there.

good thing you are ok tho. dka is scary and sucks. but glad your husband was able to help you

8 Likes

Goodness! How scary but so glad your husband was on top of this and prevented it from getting worse. Hopefully next time you can get IV fluids from home.
So glad you’re healthy and feeling better now.

8 Likes

Glad to hear you got in quickly and made a fast recovery. Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

@CatLady glad you are ok! Also glad hubby is able/willing to help. Be good to yourself. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How scary. Glad your feeling better.

7 Likes

Oh goodness! So glad you are on the mend!

5 Likes

So glad you are okay! Hope you feel better soon.

5 Likes

I am very sorry to hear you had to go through that. :frowning:

Hugs to you CL, and hoping you are feeling better.
:heart:

3 Likes

Wow, scary! I’m so glad you feeling better!

4 Likes

You guys are all awesome! Thanks so much for your support! :pray::heart:

10 Likes

@CatLady oh my goodness - I am so sorry that this happened and so glad that you are ok and feeling better. It sounds scary, but well managed. Continue to take it easy and rest up! xo - Jessica

5 Likes

Glad you are doing better, @CatLady !!

6 Likes

Glad to hear you’re back on the mend now and that your husband was there to help too.

Sounds like it was a fairly short time frame from when you noticed the BG rise/ on coming bug to when you went to the ER? Helpful reminder for me, thanks.

4 Likes

Looking back, I’d say 12 hours between when I changed my pump (thinking that was the issue) and getting to the hospital.

Scary, yes, but I experienced it as agitation, frustration, and confusion, if that makes sense.

6 Likes

Is it at all possible your pump started to malfunction, causing you to experience the DKA? I had that happen to me once. (I thought I had a GI issue too, but with further exploration discovered it wasn’t.) The second time I experienced this problem, I knew where it was headed so not only did I change the pump set up (and didn’t use it), but manually monitored myself with doses and liquids throughout the night. It was a hassle, but made all the difference. I’m so glad your response returned to normal within a short period of time.

3 Likes

The queasy stomach and other GI symptoms started before my BG started to go up. Ugh!

2 Likes

Were you able to detect any problems, even in hindsight, that this might be coming on, especially if you use a CBG? Also, I never heard of Afrezza, but when looking it up just now, I see it’s an inhalable insulin that has been discontinued. Could that have complicated your BG response? Do you still use it?

Cat Lady, I don’t get many GI problems, but for sure want to stay away from any possibility of a DKA. Thanks for sharing.

My BG not correcting as usual is the big clue. However, persistent high blood sugar really impaired my thinking. :frowning:

May I ask where you saw that? The Afrezza site doesn’t indicate that. Thanks!

1 Like