My T:slim and Dexcom Journey: Observations, Questions, Compliments, and Concerns

No. Do NOT stock up on G6 transmitters.

Generally one on the shelf. Max two on the shelf. If you have three on the shelf then likely at some point in the future you are going to have a transmitter failure. Not guaranteed but IMHO more likely than not.

4 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, not sure if G6 screen looks same as G5 on my phone. Probably not. But if so, I use the 6 hour view most bc I think it gives me the best interpretation of my data…ie steady drops don’t all look scary in 6 hour view. But 12 hour view makes them look steeper.

1 Like

Coming back to this, but first… I think I just botched my first attempt at a restart, and I think I know why…

@Jattzl, how do I stop session from my phone?? I couldn’t find it, and I tried to just go through new sensor, but now I’m being told I can’t restart sensor… so busted. :woman_facepalming:

Is there a way to stop session through the pump? Because I know where that is… just couldn’t find it on the phone. And is this sensor dead now??

Go to settings. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. STOP SENSOR. I would start from the beginning and do the restart again. I messed it up one time and just started over and it worked!

2 Likes

Dang. I was in the settings and thought I was at the bottom. I see it now. Whatever I did do was what not to do. The message I received was very specific— no restarts allowed. :grimacing:

Anyway, I’m just as glad. I won’t forget where it is for the next round, and it gives me a chance to try out my thigh. Have you done your thigh yet??

1 Like

I have been hearing about that message from others too. Ekeeee I really hope they haven’t caught onto something. Mine keep restarting but maybe it’s new batches or something. :woman_shrugging:

No. I have only used my arms. I need to save my left abdomen and legs for my infusion sites. It’s all I have left :cry:

Did you means like you last bolus given? If you touch the top right hand corner of the home screen you will see the current status screen with your Basal profile, your basal rate, last bolus and the time given, your correction factor, carburetion go, etc. etc. pretty much everything you need. It will even say what percentage of a bolus was given before basal IQ starts up. I’m not sure if that’s what you were looking for.

Also go to your Options screen and arrow down you will see Pump History then click on Bolus and see all of the individual boluses.

Hope that helps :heart:

2 Likes

That certainly is possible. It would have to be a change in the transmitter or the app used for restart. The sensor has (AFAIK) no intelligence.

I would ask somebody that reported this issue what the exact date/time of the session start/stop was. How close to the 10 days was the interval?

The last restart we did which was effective had a session length of 9.81 days which left 4 hours, 38 minutes (max) remaining on our original 10 day session.

NOTE: After the restart, the session only provided good data for about another day for us. As it was, that was an unusually long time (11 days good data) for us on a single G6 sensor. Mostly we just wanted to try the restart.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I will pay more attention. I usually read it on sites where most posts are from
people with sensor issues so I skim by.

I have had this happen too but only once. This sensor doesn’t want to die. It’s been on 23 days and unbelievable accuracy.

**Also here’s another hint about restarting. @Nickyghaleb

• after the first 15 min warmup when you stop to add the code (SAVE THE TAB WITH THE CODE NUMBER) use the camera option. For some reason it has worked every time. Could be coincidence but I’m going with it!
1 Like

Before I get upset that maybe something huge has changed, I’ll remind myself I didn’t follow your steps the way you wrote them. I waited for it to end and then selected “new sensor” because I couldn’t find where to stop it. I won’t say something didn’t work until I’ve done it properly, which was not the case last night.

I’d be happy to try the camera mode trick next time. Don’t all sensors from the same box have the same code? So as long as there’s one left, I can just use it? If I have to start remembering to keep the backing, my family’s gonna kill me. I keep a lot of paper as it is. :grimacing:

Do either of you think there’s a difference between stopping the session before or after it has expired? Last night I was past expiration.

1 Like

And this… I’ve never had spare transmitters lying around because I’ve never had the option. Do transmitters not have a good shelf life?

@Nickyghaleb I use sugarmate most of the time for this reason and many more.
-It gives real time numbers on my Apple Watch. —Most of all I can totally document everything. Like I always note extended bolus, temp basals, sensor codes, Basal pattern changes.
— It downloads onto a detailed excel data doc.

1 Like

And as I absolutely from the bottom of my heart dislike getting these things organized, how hard is this to set up? And do you use I:connect??

1 Like

With that process I’ve always waited for it to expire but many have said either works. It’s not always convenient to restart at the expiration time so I’d like to give it a shot next time.

Did you see my post regarding bolus history and Current Status?

Have you tried sugarmate? Your can document to your hearts desire on that and I know that makes you a happy girl.

Oh, that’s great. I wasn’t looking for that, but I will be one day. I was actually wondering if there was a place in-graph to see the boluses. It is one (of the few) things I liked about the 670– that you could see the whole picture with the boluses and trends and all. That’s okay though. I’ll just have to get into the habit of checking the history if I’m finding myself trying to solve something.

It does help, thank you. :heart:

1 Like

You do know me. :hugs::heart:

I’ve been torn between wanting to observe and document and just wanting to cruise. I’ve been cruising, baby. And it’s nice. :sunglasses:

So just tell me where to find sugarmama, and I’ll be off to see what it’s all about.

1 Like

I agree, @T1Allison. I’m always disappointed when I see my 12 and 24 hour screens. No matter how even I felt I had been, those screens are sharp zig zags. Im sticking with the one hour screen from here on out… there’s always happiness on that one. :grin:

2 Likes

We get two G6 transmitters shipped in a single order. (The G5 was the same for us). So it is very common for us to have a single G6 transmitter on the shelf.

No - G5 and G6 transmitters do NOT have a great shelf life. There is some battery drain while they sit on the shelf. Certainly not as much battery drain as compared to when they go into actual use but still there is shelf battery drain. (G4 was very much different in this regard.)

The Dexcom G6 transmitter warranty (in the USA) actually states the transmitter must be placed into service no later than five months after the date of shipment to you.

Three hour screen is my favorite.

Absolute not.

Do not guess on the code.

Either use the code you KNOW is proper or switch to manual calibration.

Do not guess.

BTW - We normally use the camera on the iPhone to enter the sensor code. I like that as then there is no way we can make a typo. But I did notice that in the X2 history, when the sensor code is typed in (ie - no camera) that the code is stored in the history. Kinda convenient.

I also record the codes in a spreadsheet along with lot numbers and start/stop times. Sometimes convenient. Maybe just obsessive. Could go either way.

“T”. lol. Like t:slim, t:flex, t:connect.

Try it. Pretty quick to give it a whirl. I used it a few times. Not super excited about it. Still trying to decide. Haven’t given up yet but also not spending much time looking at it. On the fence.

https://tconnect.tandemdiabetes.com/Login.aspx

3 Likes

I needed help setting up sugarmate as it’s not my forte to say the least. The guy was really helpful. Especially with using it as a “complication” through the Apple calendar on my Watch. That one threw me but it works great. I could not explain what I did at all haha. I just did what I was told.

I only use T-connect for my settings and basal patterns. I print them off and then make notes on it for any adjustments I decide on. You mentioned Basal IQ helping you see patterns. It really helped me in fine tuning all that. The majority of my nights are a straight line 90-120. It took a lot of tweaking and monitoring because I don’t do low carb, have gastroparesis and eat at weird times. In the past dealing with all of that would have been impossible. That makes me a happy girl :blush:

2 Likes