An Open [Breakup] Letter to My 670g

Dear 670g… P.O.S… my dearest P.O.S.,

I’m sorry if this comes as a surprise to you, but I feel as though I’ve been open and honest all along about my disappoint in you and your behavior in the last several months…well the last year really. We were so great in the beginning. You made me so happy, and nothing will ever take that away from me. I hope you feel the same way… But something changed along the way, and I realized you just weren’t making me happy anymore. It was too much, too quickly, and I told you that. But you just could not STOP IT. I mean c’mon, the constant pings and rings and buzzes. You had to have known it just wasn’t sustainable. And they really felt like there was no reason! I mean I hate to say it, but I know I have fault in this because I started ignoring you and your constant attempts, endless attempts, to get my attention.

But that’s beside the point, because you know what I’m getting at here… Look, I just want to say thank you. For all of the good times, and the bad. And for really kicking my butt into shape to become a better person. I know that that’s all you ever wanted - was for me to get better. Sure, it may not have been the emtionally healthiest way to get there. But I do need to thank you for putting that fire under me. To make me realize that I needed to do better for myself. That is thanks to you, and I will always appreciate you for that.

But I just can’t do this anymore. I need someone who is going to listen to what I want and not constantly bug me for their own insecurities. And I need someone who is going to make me feel safe and secure. You just don’t do that. You just can’t do that. You did at one time, but I’ve changed as a person, thanks to you, to realize that that security was all a facade. And a toxic one for me.

I know this is selfish of me, but I’m done. I need to be done for my safety and my sanity. Thank you for all of your help in getting me to the person I am today, and I’m sorry to have to do this. I’m also sorry to say that I just can’t remain in contact or remain as friends with you. I hope you can understand.

All the best,
Larissa

19 Likes

You had me at

Was there anything else in there to read??

:hugs:
:heart:
:partying_face:
:fist:

6 Likes

:joy:

But why am I weirdly sentimental towards my 670g now that I hard to power her down, ole’ reliably inaccurate?? :sob:

3 Likes

I was, too. We’d been through a lot together. There were a few good times, more bad times. Laughter, tears, cussing.

Now I’ve gone back to talking about it behind its back.

Seriously, I hope the t:slim nails it for you like it has for me. It’s just been a lot easier.

But now that I’ve looked back up, I do see you stripped it down before sending it away. It is a little sad with it there all naked and vulnerable like that. :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I can hardly wait until you are able to get the download for the Control IQ in the fall and then get a great and honest appraisal of the two systems, inputs outputs pro’s con’s etc.

You have some nice hardware there, you should probably stay out of alleys someone may hit you in the head and take your diabetic hardware.

4 Likes

Somehow, I’ll never be writing a similar letter to my Novopen 3. We’re going on 15 years together and it’s never let me down.

Don’t get me wrong, technology is great. But if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

4 Likes

Right!! I should’ve made the picture black and white to add to the drama of it :joy::pleading_face:

2 Likes

@Chris - very excited to get Control-IQ and give it a try :nerd_face: it may be a higher target than I am for now (which I also chuckle because the old diabetic me would think that’s crazy). But I can totally see myself using it (if it works out well enough) for really busy times during school.

I could just pull out a glucagon pen to scare them off… wait I should probably invest in getting one of those first :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Sounds like a very healthy and loving union to me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@LarissaW, I think you might be too young to have grown up coming home from school and then watching Oprah in the 4pm timeslot…so your break-up letter has me wondering if you were raised on Dr. Phil, maybe? Like…a break-up letter…and a thorough and astute one at that…so many questions!

6 Likes

My guess is you will prefer Basal-IQ way more than Control-IQ.

2 Likes

Loved your post… but had to figure out P.O.S !!

Thanks to google I did.

Wish I had written something similar when dumping the original medtronic sof-sensor, and starting Dexcom Seven!

EDIT: The only good thing about the Sof-sensor was that it led me to the discovery and participation in DOCs.

4 Likes

Point Of Sale ?

:innocent:

3 Likes

@T1Allison - I didn’t watch Oprah or Dr. Phil… O gosh, I may just be this dramatic out of pure nature and no nurture :joy:

2 Likes

I’m guessing this as well, but still excited to give Control-IQ a go!

Basal-IQ has already got me swooning with LOVE

1 Like

Pizza Or Spaghetti?

3 Likes

Or one of these…

2 Likes

I almost wrote the same dear Janet letter to my Omnipod. I’d ripped it off at the time and gone back to MDI with keto; it actually worked for me, temporarily, but it interfered with my relationship with my wife (she cooks, cooking chicken/steak/pork every day doesn’t count.)

I developed some kind of sustainable relationship with the Omnipod yet it is certainly not permanent. Bang, whizz, pop beep and you are always pestering me.

I can switch my G6 off. Indeed I did; xDrip+ is set to say absolutely nothing. I don’t want to hear, I want to check in my own time. If I die that was my own mistake, that wasn’t because I tore everything off my body and went to swim in a rip tide.

We get a freedom we need by refusing help that is offered genuinely but without fully understanding who we are and what we live with. Most humans understand that. I’ve yet to meet a piece of electronics that does. Maybe there should be a “naked T1D” day, when we do a Lantus bolus at midnight then nothing else but be ourselves.

John Bowler

6 Likes

@MM2
My bad. You are right.

Positively Outstanding Service.

ROTFLMAO

I try not to say too much about the Basal-IQ. I assume people not running it probably don’t want to hear about it and people who are running it already know how great it is. Waking up straight line at 80 without intervention overnight is pretty amazing.

Bear in mind that Control-IQ is NOT a revision or enhancement of Basal-IQ. These two algorithms share no common code base and were developed by two entirely different companies. Tandem has expended considerable effort to develop the Control-IQ programming to run in the X2, however the Control-IQ functionality is entirely based on the TypeZero work (and licensed from TypeZero now acquired by Dexcom) whereas the Basal-IQ was 100% in-house development by Tandem.

An aspect which I find encouraging are recent public comments from the Tandem CEO stating that Tandem would now like to have both the Basal-IQ and Control-IQ algorithms residing (simultaneously) on the X2 pump (and the t:sport when it comes out in about a year) with the user having the trivial ability to switch between the two algorithms. This is a significant change of direction from only 9 months. This was a CEO stated “want” and not a company “promise”.

Tandem has a conference call next week. The Control-IQ will be an obvious point of discussion. I am hoping to hear not only the cost for the update to the end user of existing X2 pumps (expected to be $200 ~ $300) but also to hear the company state definitively that both algorithms will reside on the pump at the same time with the user having the trivial ability to switch back and forth between them.

If the Control-IQ update includes the ability to retain and switch back and forth between Basal-IQ and Control-IQ while hopefully also including the functionality necessary to connect in to the Tandem Mobile App (not yet released) then we would definitely apply the update. And out of curiosity would likely try the Control-IQ.

If the Control-IQ update removes the Basal-IQ algorithm from the pump then it would make no sense to apply the update. For us.

4 Likes

Hi Larissa…sorry to hear about the breakup with your 670G! I started on the 670G and guardian sensor back in December of 2018 after getting 8 years on my prior Medtronic pump. My first time using a sensor. Why I agree that the bells and dings can be annoying, my A1C has dropped from 7.9 to 6.5 since using it. My goal is to get to the low 6’s by year end. I am thankful my doctor has kept me on manual mode so I don’t have to deal with the issues many have complained about on this forum. Also, going from an 8 YO pump to the 670G was like going from an old beater car to a Ferrari. The 670G can be annoying, sensor changes can sometimes be challenging but I am very thankful for the significantly better control it has given me. Best of luck with your TSLIM and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

1 Like