My Fiancé Hates My Dexcom

I’m waiting for The Drop today…thought I saw it yesterday afternoon…but my overnight numbers declared otherwise…

…and I’m starting a new Dexcom sensor as we speak and my Day 1 Dexcom ALWAYS acts like the Drunk Aunt at the family reunion…meaning you can ignore most of what she says bc it’s crazy…but sometimes it’s Spot Freakin’ On and you’re shocked by it!

#goodtimes
#allthecontourteststripstoday

5 Likes

Oh wow we’re practically sensor twins, I set my new one up yesterday evening. At warmup completion it was instantly accurate (this freaked me out because it was 58mg/dl) but I ate and brought it back up to a healthy 138 post-prandial. Honestly it was the evening low that sold it for me, low and behold this morning I woke up with a lovely gift. :roll_eyes: at least I’m over the initial hump.

I’ve grown a little with my Dexcom, where I’ll try to fingerstick when I don’t feel it’s being accurate. This helps me trust the reads better, and trust my judgment more.

The worst experience I ever had with a sensor replacement last night btw, the applicator didn’t detach once the needle retracted and I had to hold it up cuz it wouldn’t get off my stomach. As I followed the procedure on dexcoms website the applicator randomly detached and I was able to make sure the needle was still intact under the sensor. Left it on, informed tech support, and prayed throughout the warmup. :laughing: so far, so good. But pulling back and having that thing stuck on my sensor was definitely one of my top 10 panics involving D.

4 Likes

I heard a trick for this: if it’s stuck, smack it with a wooden spoon a few times and that can get it to release. Never had the stuck inserter issue myself.

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re kidding or serious :face_with_raised_eyebrow: but I will take this into consideration either way. :laughing:

3 Likes

He is not kidding, it works! (except when it doesn’t)

5 Likes

Apparently wooden spoons are an essential diabetes tool. When my G4 starts going wonky, I whack it a couple times with a wooden spoon, and I get another two or three weeks out of it. I understand that won’t work with the G6, but I might try it anyway, just cuz it’s kinda fun.

4 Likes

This sounds like a form of catharsis and I am here for it.

4 Likes

I was waiting to find out if you use Lantus. Lantus is supposed to be flat but actually has a slight peak around 6 hours.

Before I started MDI (type 2) I was injecting 30u of Lantus at bedtime. I didn’t have a CGM at the time. I would wake up around 2 to 3 AM hot, sweaty and shaky. This was close to the 6 hour peak. I changed to 2 injections18u at bedtime and 12u 12 hours later.

This eliminated the nocturnal hypos while giving be the option of delaying the morning 12u until after exercising.

After starting MDI, I had to come up with a whole ‘nother strategy, but that’s another story.
See the peak:

I have had bothersome alarms from the Dexcom App often at night, Sometimes is is a false low, often false so I tend to finger stick. Then there’s the rapid fall over 15 minutes which causes a low alarm and a bit later a loss of sensor signal (Don’t change the sensor, wait up to 3 hours). This seems to start about day 7 out of 10, The last sensor was the worst, I changed it a day early.

Good luck with it. I almost want to change to an Android phone for X-Drip and other reasons, but I have so much invested in Apple stuff, watch, phone, laptop and tablet,

2 Likes

In another thread I went over my Lantus struggles with Eric and others ad nauseam, and @Eric made me those graphs I love to hate so much about Lantus peak times, I tried the split dosing. I was so inexperienced with my boluses because I had recently been prescribed Humalog that I just couldn’t manage the spikes and inevitably I found a decent medium for my Lantus until I heard the magic words “once you meet with your diabetes educator, you can discuss pump options” :pray: this was a life saver for me. I’m using omnipod now and if I’m a little on the lower side when it’s bedtime, I set a temp basal and it tapers off right before I wake up to avoid FotF and the dawn phenomenon.

Lantus was very troublesome for me - and my Endo just didn’t see why. It was here and with my DE I received the reassurance that it wasn’t just me, and that Lantus does peak around the 4-6 hour mark. Glad you found a happy medium!

I have two phones cuz I’m a brat. My Android is incompatible with Dexcom, so I run the Dexcom app on my IPhone and I follow it on xdrip+ on my Android. I guess you could say I get the best of both worlds there.

5 Likes

I’m 71 and type 2 for 30 years. It has progress in me over the years requiring Metformin after a decade, then Lantus and recently Humalog.

I continued splitting the Lantus in 2 doses, but notice, thanks to the G6 that as the lunch bolus was declining 3 hours after injection that my BG was rising, even if I ate exactly the same thing as breakfast.

That’s when, on my own, I went to 3 Lantus injections and decrease the 3rd by 5 units. This resulted in a much better BG curve.

As to CDEs I haven’t had one in more than 20 years, they seem to be as rare as endos in the place rampant with type 2 diabetes.

3 Likes

Interesting that you found better comfort in 3 split doses of lantus and kudos to not giving up until you figured it out!

What happened to you has been the 4 year entirety of my diabetic journey:

Diagnosed as type 2 uncontrolled at 30, metformin 1,000 2x a day prescribed
Hba1c 7
Next hba1c 14.6, glimepiride prescribed - eventually maxed out to 4mg 2x a day
Next hba1c 12.7
Lantus added, (aka basaglar because my plan sucked at the time) started at 12u a day and eventually was at 18u a day, 22u being my highest at one point
Hba1c 9.5, Endo recommended
Endo ordered bloodwork, diagnosed t1/LADA, prescribed Humalog, taken off glimepiride.
Hba1c last end of may was 6.5

It’s a struggle for us, but eventually we find the right regimen. Some days will always be better than others.

I love my DE, I was lucky to get her though. Her son is t1 so she completely understands the issues we face and the medical disbelief that certain things play a heavy role in our care and control. Hopefully your Endo is good!

7 Likes

I won’t make an A1C graph for ya. :grinning:

But look at the progress you’ve made!

5 Likes

Aww I feel incomplete now, you’ve conditioned me! :laughing:
I have made a lot of progress, you’re right. Guess that’s one way of looking at it! I go back soon for bloodwork, I’m a little nervous about it - like I didn’t do my homework and I have class now lmao. I’m sure it’ll be around the same, my Dexcom is giving me a projected a1c of 6.2 which is around the ballpark I was at in May when I sacrificed 4 vials of my blood.

I’m sure that as I get more comfortable with insulin and those freaky “sh*t I took too much insulin and I’m dropping” lows (like the one I was on the phone with you for 30 mins about gorging on everything in sight haha) my a1c will be even lower. I’m also still so damn sensitive to insulin because my pump goes in spots my pen needles never did.

Progress takes time, but you’re right… I have made a lot of changes already in the past 4 years of my journey!

… now where’s my damn graph? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

cheers-leonardo-dicaprio

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis I had a similar issue with Lantus, going low in the early morning after a bedtime single dose, and based on various readings, including here on FUD, split my dose. It resolved almost all of the lows; although I’ve had to increase my dosage a couple of units over the last couple of months. Possibly of more interest to you, there is an Xdrip4iOS that may address your Android/Apple issue.

5 Likes

A bit late as it’s now March ‘22 but my preferred hypo treatment is always what will be easiest to take and work the quickest, especially during the night. Glucose liquid will be easier to swallow than glucose tablets. I use the stuff they use for pathology Glucose Tolerance Tests. It is neat glucose, containing 15 g glucose in 60 mls. There is a weaker solution but this is what I use. Here in Perth Australia we get this from our diabetes association for $2.50 for a bottle of 75g glucose in 300 mls. I decant this into “hypo-size-doses” of 60 mls. And keep one in my bag, one in my car, one beside my bed. I have tried the tablets, the juice, the jelly beans, etc etc and for me this works by far the quickest. The second- fastest and tastier is Orange Fanta!

4 Likes