My Fiancé Hates My Dexcom

To answer you first question- would your SO prefer to wake to find you in a coma?
You need a real heart to heart talk with your SO. The occasional AM low is only part of dealing with diabetes; is your SO prepared to handle that?

On the second, you need to analyze your snacking. In my case overnight lows almost always follow a midnight snack, even if my bedtime BG is around 150.

4 Likes

He’s getting used to it, now that he sees I never wake up to the alarms or the fact that my body is that low on sugar… He’ll gently nudge me and tell me to fingerstick and eat something to bring me up. So he is getting better with it, however this is a new side of diabetes for both of us and so I’m being patient in the idea that he will eventually follow the learning curve and stop fighting it. He already has.

I have not snacked at bedtime since this night and have gone down 2u a day on my basal, for I am STILL going low. A number of factors play in:
-Lovely being a woman one week out of every month
-my basal insulin dose is still too high, been tweaking. Down to 18u. Had a later drop in BG this morning but it still fell to 53 before my breakfast began to digest.
-I have humalog and I am afraid to bolus. Being the lantus is already giving me uncontrolled lows, I have an irrational fear of utilizing my bolus insulin. Trying to warm up to the idea of eating foods I have also grown to fear over these last 3 years and using my humalog. Will try and do that today.
-Because of my middle of the night hypos, my sleep has been erratic and therefore so have my sugar levels.

I’m learning, I’m growing, I’m deducing my basal.
My fiancé is moaning, groaning, and deducing his attitude. We are both working on it. :laughing:

6 Likes

The good thing about bolus insulin is that it’s mostly gone within 3 hours, and all done within 5 hours. So if you take too much bolus insulin it’s really easy to fix it with glucose (if you’re low or dropping fast) or any kind of sugar (if it’s not quite an emergency) or something tasty (if you have lots of time before your BG will go too low.)

Til now, the excess basal insulin has been helping cover your meal carbs. As you reduce the basal towards a correct value, you will likely need to ramp up your meal bolus to fill the gap.

5 Likes

Absolutely! I was told here today to do one major change at a time, so I’m really going to do my best to regulate my basal rate. 18u has been good to me today so far, with one fall to 53mg/dl right before I took my first bite of breakfast today around 6:30am.

My goal now is to have a very low carb dinner, most likely grilled chicken salad and see what a split dose does to my BG. 9u at 10pm when I’m going to sleep and the other 9u at 8am tomorrow to create a gap between 2-7am where my BG are dropping too low. Hoping that this will give me better control, and if after a few days I’m seeing it works… I will do a victory dance and enjoy the calm.

You’re right, I need to clean my system of the excess basal so I can see where I will need the bolus. Such a weird, confusing transition for me. I’m glad I have all of you keeping me somewhat sane. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a good approach. It helps reveal cause-and-effect relationships.

53 is not good. 75 is ok, and 65 might not be harmful but it’s lost all safety margin. Splitting the lantus may help, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find that you need to continue decreasing the basal little by little to keep your BG from dropping overnight.

5 Likes

I’ve already gone down severely, which I was saying to others before is crazy. If I’m hitting lows like this now that are visible because of my CGM, I don’t even wanna know what those hours looked like on 24u a night.

Not surprised that I’m hypo-unaware now. This has probably been going on for longer than I realize.

4 Likes

I discovered drinking water also helps to speed up the cgm delay when you are still reading low on the Dexcom and you know you are not low… hydration seems to help the interstitial fluid accuracy

8 Likes

Hey, I know I’m late to this party, I’m rarely on here and usually here just for tech rather than general, and I definitely don’t mean any offense, but:

If you’re taking 18 or 20 units of Lantus in 1 injection without any supplental bolus for meals, your sugar is going to be SCREWED.

Lantus is supposed to be a background basal, it’s not meant to be a primary catch-all. This screams disaster to me, especially if you’re new to all of this.

I take Lantus - I have for years - and I’ve done both large nighttime injections, large morning injections, split injections, and damn near every permutation therein. For me, the sweet spot is taking 9 units right before I go to sleep. I started at 16 units. I had lows all the time at night. It was horrible.

I honestly think your basal is just WAY too high. If you were just diagnosed, you’re probably still honeymooning (your body is still making some irregular small amounts of insulin), and with your constant lows, it’s pretty obvious you’re way overdosing on Lantus.

The suggestion of XDrip+ is spot on. Dexcom’s app is, as @docslotnick would put it, a tricycle with training wheels for diabetes management. XDrip+ is a 12-speed. Snooze alerts, share them to your fiance’s phone, have his follow set to go off after 20 or 30 minutes of lows - everybody’s happy. My wife and I have it set up this way, and it works great… if I’m too dumb/low to get myself up, she doesn’t get constantly pestered; instead she only gets pestered when it matters. XDrip+ also gives you a few options for calculating HBA1C values, so cool bonus for you there!

Lantus/Humalog is my routine, hopefully you’re finding yours, T1 sucks, and it’ll be hard, but it honestly gets a LOT better. You found a great community to be a part of, and there’s lots of great technology that makes it a lot easier, and sorry if I sound so serious, but really: don’t less around with those extreme overnight lows. If you know something’s wrong, don’t wait for your endocrinologist to fix it for you… especially not if they’re the one who suggested it in the first place.

-M

3 Likes

Not helpful now, because Necroplasm has made great strides figuring out basal/bolus insulin dosing over the past 5 weeks. Pastadude’s reaction is to her insulin dosing practice as guided by her physicians back then, before she came here and worked out how to do it.

6 Likes

A little background on where I was at this point in time…
I was initially diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic back in 2018. It has been a rollercoaster of diabullsh** since then. :laughing: I was originally put on Lantus from my first GP to really “treat” me for my diabetes, and though she tried her best - she didn’t really have anything worthwhile as far as basal dosing was concerned. I was told to “just keep going up until BG numbers were stable”.

Fast forward to now: where I have an active relationship with my endocrinologist, I have a new diagnosis of Type 1.5 LADA, and last month received my first prescription for Humalog. It has been a rough journey, but I have found solace here(mostly) and on other online forums for T1D.

@bkh is correct, this is an old post, and I have since been working my ass off to regulate my numbers so that I could start bolusing and eating more foods. When I signed up on here, I was practically no-carb, super low-fat. I still for the most part eat that way, I try not to eat anything that will need me to bolus more than 1 unit of Humalog. But that’s because I am in the infant stages of short-acting, and in turn I am being patient with my body to learn how and what it needs for these medicines to work properly. Granted some days have been better than others, but 14 units seems to hold strong for me. I have had one morning of bad lows this month, and surprisingly enough :roll_eyes: it was around my lady time. I am not surprised at this, and have taken it as a warning sign I need to reduce my basal. The night after these lows I’ll take 12 units of Lantus, and it seems to offset the balance. After that my body is no longer insulin resistant from all of the progesterone, and I am cautious in my bolus decisions the week after due to my estrogen production. Estrogen seems to increase insulin sensitivity. I carry around glucose tabs along with other various snacks, in case I hit a snag - and then it’s a candy party of my choosing.

I have learned so much on here, and in general. In the beginning of all this (around the end of May) my head was spinning, and people close to me were worried I was obsessing too much. I disagree, I was able to soak up a lot of knowledge in that time, and in micro-managing my numbers I was able to pinpoint where I needed to do things differently or tweak something in order to not just survive… but to live as well as I can. Diabetes included.

The 14 units seems to be pretty stable, I don’t drop below 80 in the mornings. I have rare occurrences where I’ll be a perfect 71mg/dl but it has only been lower than that once due to hormonal imbalances. Consistently 12 units is not enough, and instead of keeping a straight line in between meals I’ll rise out of nowhere… for no reason.

A lot of people on here really gave me the courage to trust that my body, in it’s own way, will tell me what I need. I know @Eric calls it The Force. I’ve been trusting mine, and so far it hasn’t steered me wrong. Neither have any of you. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Priceless!

4 Likes

I bought a massive bag of the original life savers. I don’t like how much of them gets stuck in your teeth, especially at night when it’ll be there to rot your teeth for hours. The gummies might be better in that regard

3 Likes

i wanted to add to pastadude’s suggestion on using xdrip, and wanted to add in predicted lows and highs helps me a lot with diabetic management, also i am a smart watch xdrip watch face advocate… when your watch has your glucose on it, its easier and you’ll find you’ll rarely check your phone, which will make you seem less obsessed… I’ve used my watch for 3+ years and it makes a huge difference.

4 Likes

I honestly love this, because I’m less likely to take my phone out, but I still look often lol.

4 Likes

as long as it works…in the past i spent a few days before i was able to successfully link an Eversense sensor to xdrip just to use my watch and predicted alerts… i also wanted to chime in on insurance shenanigans and whether or not you ve investigated tresiba or split lantus doses, or if a pump is covered? i was not a fan of pumps, but most of the users here swear by them, adjustments are a little easier with pumps, but it really depends on your durable medical deduction… my wife recently spoke to another type 1 wife and asked her if she’s as sick of the alarms as she is…and she told her he’s used the pump for 20+ years and didn’t have a problem… but i wasn’t there to ask the normal 20 questions about which pump, cgm, a1c, etc

2 Likes

YES!!! Love this SO much!

And I’m SO STOKED that you can already see correlations between your hormones and your insulin resistance/sensitivity. That will SAVE you so much extra boogeyman fear down the road. We have to figure this out for ourselves…and you are doing it!!

You go girl!!

8 Likes

I have a nutritionist appointment on Tuesday and there was talk about her getting me pumpified so :crossed_fingers: but I think I’ll do much better on a pump! These basal rates are tough, but I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got for now.

6 Likes

Honestly the first month on my Dexcom was rough cuz I saw what damage my hormones are doing, but I am happy that I’m learning about my body! It’s a shame we’re all different as women in that area, but I think at the base of it we have similar core issues with it. High or low, progesterone insulin resistance or estrogen heightened insulin sensitivity… If I can get a handle on it sooner than later I might be able to enjoy more than 1 week of excellent G6 graphs. :laughing: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

For sure!

It took me seven years on shots to suss out…and it’s taken me seven years on podding to suss out.

I believe and hope that your investigation process will proceed much more quickly than mine did!! As long as we know that we need to look for whether something is there…it goes much faster!

6 Likes

Absolutely! We’ll catch something if we’re examining that specific area, so I’m kinda hard staring everytime my monthly visitor comes knocking lmao.

4 Likes