Dexcom and Exercise Questions

Bostrav59:

Yes, I tend to be proactive and do my best to stay low carb, take meds, monitor the CGM, etc. Have thought about pumps, but with my relatively minimal need for insulin (11 unit basal, 2-5 units mealtime) seems a bit of overkill at this point. That said, I have no real idea what “normal”, “high”, or “low” insulin intake is amongst others, though what I’ve read indicates quite the range depending on diet, exercise, etc. I think mine’s pretty low.

Yes, the default alarms on the Dexcom seem a little overkill; probably an abundance or caution for people that don’t take them seriously. The nightly test one particularly drives me nuts as I tend to plug it in on going to bed (after the wife, usually) and hate to disturb her. Haven’t found a way to kill that one off; perhaps plug it in for a charge elsewhere in the house and use my phone during the night on the bedside.

Appreciate your comments on exercise. We recently purchased an elliptical and a treadmill in place of going to a gym (cancelled the expense during Covid, not worth the risk!). I established a program of exercise rules for myself without involving my Endo. Signed up to participate in JDRF exercise study, but Endo refused to endorse (thought the protocol might be too severe) and wanted more time to see me level out. Told her of my program she said that was fine, but still not endorse the study. I only exercise if I’m above 120, expect a drop, and take fruit with me for use depending on level I drop to. I too use Apple Watch/Health to track and post to Dexcom. Haven’t tracked closely enough to define any impact, though it seems to level out my BGs.

While lows don’t seem a big problem, every time I think that, my body teaches me otherwise, though I think I’ve got a handle on treating the ones that occur with some restraint so as not too swing high following. The first time or two, scared the “halibut” out of me, so I have a healthy respect for them.

My biggest issue is the gradual but steady increase I have in the afternoon and evening. My bonus seems to take care of the meal carbs, but anywhere from 90 to 3 hours after I start and a steady climb upwards to being on the edge of needing a correction dose. Again, in the grand scheme of others write ups, mine isn’t that bad, but concerning to me, none the less.

Tom

2 Likes

Which alarm is this? My son’s setup doesn’t alarm very often at all except when he is low. In fact for both my wife and I (Followers) that is the only alarm we have enabled.

When you are ready we can point you towards the threads here that deal with this. You absolutely don’t need to be above 120 and expect a drop as you exercise, but the tailoring of this takes time to work out for yourself and involves some advanced insulin maneuvers.

4 Likes

Chris, when I plug in the Dexcom receiver at night, it ALWAYS prompts for an alarm test. While it offer to do it or not, if I choose not to, it wont show me my current reading, it will turn off the screen and if I hit the button again, it prompts for the test again. The test includes vibration and audible alarm, then asks if I got both and requires a response.

If you or others don’t get that, I’d really like to know how to get rid of it or only make it vibrate. Also, does everyone suffer from the “buttons” the receive offers being irritatingly non-responsive to finger touches/presses?

1 Like

Which Dexcom are you using, and I’m assuming you are using the Dexcom receiver?

I haven’t used the actual receiver since I got the G5, just through my phone on an app, and never had that type of checking alarm ever. Also means no issues with buttons.

1 Like

I’m using a G6 with the Dexcom receiver, though I primarily use my phone, I currently tote both around because I’m new and developing confidence in the app.
Tom

1 Like

That explains things, it is the receiver. We have used the old one with the G5, but since we moved to the G6 we have only ever used the phone and my son’s pump as receivers. So the solution may be to dump the receiver once your confidence in the phone app grows. Or as you said, charge it somewhere else. Sounds super annoying.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t even own a G6 receiver. Would recommend ditching it when you can and keeping it just for backup. Personally, I hated having one for the G4—it was one too many devices for me to keep track of and I’d occasionally leave it at home and be stuck without my Dexcom for the day, whereas I never forget my phone.

2 Likes