My 3 minute ophthalmologist appointment

I had my annual 3 minute ophthalmologist appointment. He complemented me on my BS ( maybe he noticed I answered the What was your last BS question as “100” for 15 years🤪).

As he gave notes to his nurse, I always listen closely for “right eye no DR…left eye no DR”.

Some of the best 3 minutes of the year🤭!!

12 Likes

I had an ophthalmologist who had a grave look on his face every time he examined me, with an urgent voice giving notes to his scribe. Then his demeanor would change immediately as he sat up and cheerfully tell me I have very healthy eyes. Good doctor and clinic, but I didn’t miss those exams when I moved and had to find a new one.

4 Likes

If my ophthalmologist only looked at me for 3 minutes, I’d get a different one.

I like mine. His practice is so busy and I see him so few minutes a year that I doubt he remembers individual patients. He never assumes anything.

It takes more than 3 minutes just to read my chart to look at the photos and measurements that the techs entered. I’m not concerned about his facial expression when he’s looking in my eyes - that’s not a social interaction. If he was relaxed and smiling instead of attentive and serious, I’d wonder how hard he was working to analyze what he was looking at.

That raises a question. Has anyone ever known or heard of a blind ophthalmologist?

1 Like

Same. That title terrified me lol.

2 Likes

The other thing that concerned me was the comment about an annual exam. Maybe it’s age-related but my PCP wants me to see an ophthalmologist twice a year and I don’t have any eye issues worth addressing.

I now average more than one doctor’s appointment per month, and starting to wonder why I’m spending those precious hours. In their offices. It’s been years since I haven’t seen my lab test results and know what they meanbefore an appointment. Most of the time I know what they are going to say before they do. I could post my stats online. They could phone me with their comments.

What’s particularly disturbing is that I’m usually more up to date on research, guidelines and cost-effective products that apply to me than my doctors are.

I don’t ask my doctors about “x”, I inform them. It’s like they don’t learn anything unless a salesman walks in the door to promote something, or they attend a convention. I’ve taken even CME courses in their specialty areas that they haven’t.

1 Like