Moving from Tslim/Dexcom to Dexcom G6, Toujeo and Afrezza

I’ve had a cgm for a few years. Currently I use the G6, but I was using the G5 when I started Afrezza.

I was affected by the steep falls a correction with Afrezza created. Over time, my variability decreased as I learned the best dosing methods. A steep correction at 180 doesn’t create the same feeling as a steep correction from 250. I may have also adjusted to the falls some. I can’t be sure.

I’ll still have a reaction if it’s a big drop, but I don’t have those very often anymore.

1 Like

Well it was kind of a trial of hard core carb smoothie which I never have because even pre bolus can’t handle it and I always go low after from the bolus for that high carb count. I should have used an 8! Now I know lol. From 119 no IOB I used a 4. It went up to 296 fast so I did another 4 and dropped double arrows to 96. And smoothly evened out there since. It was a great learning experience for me!

2 Likes

@Chris , I was thinking the same thing.

@Jattzl, when I started using Afrezza I also split 4u cartridges but stopped splitting doses after a short time for two reasons:

1. I found that I built up a bit of a tolerance to it, so the amount a 4u would drop my BG wasn’t as dramatic after the first month or so…don’t get me wrong it’s still an effective insulin that I use every day.
  2. And as I started to get a better feel for the dosing and I used 4u cartridges more I didn’t feel a need for smaller doses.

I still love using Afrezza!

3 Likes

I enjoyed using afrezza, and might use it again for a little while if my insurance started to cover it, I just found that after a year, it was a lot of space in the refrigerator, and I found I primarily used it for hyperglycemic corrections while driving, etc. It was ideal if I miscounted the carb ratio… much easier to inhale a little more than to take another shot. It was also a lit of hassle with the insurance, Dr dosing amounts, etc. The pulmonologist did blame the afrezza on the decreased lung score, but I agree with the other thread that it is a very flawed test, and my 1st pulmonologist tested twice to receive the 100%, where 85% was still fine for my age.

2 Likes

We will always do a bolus plus extended bolus (Fiasp via X2) for high carb smoothies.
It seems the type of smoothies we make provide an initial quick hit of carbs followed by a slower carb delivery over a few hours. (Or maybe the way they digest - I have no idea how it all works only what we see as a result.)
If the entire bolus is up front, it would result in a seriously sustained low. The second time that happened, it was rather evident that a bolus 100% up front for a high carb smoothie was (at least for us) entirely inappropriate.

Practice makes perfect. (Or at least ballpark close enough.)
:smile:

Not to distract from the concept of the thread but sounds like you are doing similar with an initial Afrezza bolus followed a short period later by a second Afrezza bolus.

2 Likes

This is a rhetorical question - but how the hell does this stuff know to stop and level out at 90!!! It’s amazing!

Is this just me?

2 Likes

Nope, def not just you.

1 Like

It really is almost like it is some sort of smart insulin… all I can figure is that it just allows for your own body’s mechanisms to put the brakes on and level off a lot better than liquid insulin…

I don’t really know, but clearly there is something that happens with its mechanism that just simply doesn’t happen with injected insulin… and it’s to the great benefit of the user

3 Likes

Yes. If I hadn’t experienced it I could never have known or understood it logically. It’s really like nothing else I’ve experienced. All the manipulations we use to mimic our bodies function feel like a constant battle to force it to control our BG. Whatever is involved in how this works just kind of flows. The concept is so foreign and a big part of why it takes a completely new mindset when using it. The rep was explaining it in more exact details when I met with him but I had no experience with it so I couldn’t take that part in. I look forward to talking with him again.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty amazing stuff… that’s a big part of why they’ve had troubles reaching users because people just don’t understand its benefits… but they’re remarkable… so spread the word

2 Likes

I’ve already started that! He is speaking at a rather large group of T1 pumpers that I am involved with next month.

And all of you have been significant in helping and educating me as usual :heart:

1 Like

@MM2 @Katers87 tips on inhaling have been successful! No powder left.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

@MM2 when i use the diy 2u i get inconsistent results. Do you think that is due to the small dose or something about the potency changes during the diy process? I’m curious.

1 Like

I don’t do it often so hard to tell. Instead I do full 4 unit, with small snack and get more consistent results. (As long as I keep the snack small! Usually a handful of cashews).

2 Likes

Me too

1 Like