mmol/L to mg/dl Conversion

It’s well within the margin of error of the meters were using to get the thumbers to begin with… I like your techniques

1 Like

There is actually a very easy way to do the conversion.

The molecular formula for Glucose is C6H12O6. Of course everyone knows the periodic table, and the atomic mass for each element in a glucose molecule.

carbon - 12.011 (x 6)
hydrogen - 1.008 (x 12)
oxygen - 15.999 (x 6)

So it is very easy to see that glucose (C6H12O6) has a molecular weight of 180.156

Converting moles to grams then becomes just as elementary as converting millimoles to moles, grams to milligrams, and liters to deciliters.

First convert millimoles to moles by dividing by 1000. Then convert moles to grams using the molecular weight. Next, convert grams to milligrams by multiplying by 1000. And finally convert the liters to deciliters.

(millimol / liter) x (1 mol / 1000 millimol) x (180.156 grams / 1 mol) x (1000 milligrams / gram) x (1 liter / 10 deciliters) = milligrams / deciliter

So for example, for 7 mmol/L, the conversion is:

( 7 millimol / liter) x (1 mol / 1000 millimol) x (180.156 grams / 1 mol) x (1000 milligrams / gram) x (1 liter / 10 deciliters) = 126.1092 milligrams / deciliter

Super easy. Much simpler than all that confusing multiply by 9 and then 2 stuff, or dividing by 10 and then 2 and adding something.

Come on people, let’s keep things simple here, okay?

9 Likes

That is way too simple - you need to add some more details.

@lisa and @Beacher - thanks for the answer - It seems I was just diagnosed during whole metrication thing after all. As a Canadian born during at period I neither work well in metric nor imperial measurements and usually either use both at the same time depending on the context.

4 Likes

@eric - it is irresponsible to report this measurement with 7 significant figures. This implies that the original measurement was made with a high degree of accuracy that is just not possible with today’s glucometers :laughing:

I was trying to work MARD in to the response but I am too lazy.

4 Likes

There is an even easier way to do not only this conversion but also to answer all other questions in the universe.

illuminati

9 Likes

I thought that’s what The Lounge was for.

3 Likes

This chart is awesome and super-handy!

3 Likes

All Eric needs to do is draw a line under the 8 to account for the significant figures and he would be fine. That seems easier than actually just saying 180. /sarc

1 Like

I was diagnosed in Canada in 2000 and used mmol/L. I moved to the US in 2006 and it has taken a long time to get used to mg/dL, I refused to make the change at first. But, my old meters have died, my endo used mg/dL, so I’ve given up and made the switch. I know to convert back I divide by 18, and for an easier calculation in my head I sometimes divide by 20.

5 Likes

Welcome to the site, @rishmack! I look forward to your posts. You may want to introduce yourself on the welcome thread if you wish.

Good lord. Pumps in the 80’s. Dis you have a backpack with a commodore 64 in there running the pump? I had no idea pumps were around that long… mind blown.

2 Likes

For the size of the backpack insulin pump, you need the commodore 64. LOL

1 Like

Imagine the size of the infusion set needle. Scary!

How about the conversion between the new A1C unit mmol/mol versus the old unit % HBA1c. Talk about trying to confuse the diabetics. I think the doctors are more confused. (sarcasm)

Hahahaaaa! Gold!. I see he got the deluxe combo. Insulin pump jetpack.

1 Like

That is incredible. I though you were kidding but that is a legit pump. And from a quick read it was more like a bionic pancreas with glucogon and insulin. Wow.

1 Like

Here’s gramma, inserting her 2" long steel needle infusion set that comes with her NEW Autosyringe! Cool!

insulin-pump-sexy

3 Likes

And I thought I was half cyborg.

You are. Just observe how your cellphone is running your life. LOL
It’s true.

cell%20phone

1 Like

I have been Type 1 for53 years and had no idea that there were insulin pumps in the 80’s. With that being said I tried a pump in the early 2000’s and had many problems. After joining these groups and doing a lot of reading maybe I should try again. Looks like they have come a long way and easier to understand. I will admit I am not very tech savvy and feel more comfortable with injections. Old habits are hard to shake!!!

3 Likes