Medtronic 7-day wear infusion set

3 Likes

Wonder what the tech portion of this is.

1 Like

I thought the whole thing about 3 days was to prevent scaring. Doesn’t say anything about how that is being prevented.

3 Likes

Not super sure this is a good thing. Yes, wearing it longer is more convenient. But is infusion set degradation no longer a problem? You are doubling the amount of insulin you are putting into a site. Maybe if you were to combine it with the use of U-200, so the total volume does not change.

And as Chris said, they don’t really give a whole lot of detail on the “how”.

But it is Medtronic after all. A name we have come to trust in diabetes care. :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t see how that helps. I supposed it was the amount of actual insulin that did the tissue damage, not the volume of fluid that contains the insulin.

1 Like

I can see someone like Samson, who dreads site change, loving this idea, unfortunately I’d really like to see the long-term studies showing that this infusion set doesn’t cause even more lipohypertrophy than a typical 3-day wear does.
I mean lots of people already wear their infusion sets for 3+ days, or basically as long as they can get away with it. So what makes this different?

5 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I figured it was a combination of both insulin and volume.

Like leaving the sprinkler on your lawn turned on. Eventually there is a point when the lawn just gets flooded.

I don’t really know though. I have not seen a whole lot of discussion on the topic.

1 Like

Did a little digging and this is what I came up with, a new tubing connector and reservoir with “advanced materials” that keeps insulin stable.

“The innovative design of the Medtronic Extended infusion set leverages advanced materials that help reduce insulin preservative loss and maintains insulin flow and stability. The new tubing connector improves physical and chemical stability of insulin, reliability of infusion site performance, and reduces the risk of infusion set occlusion. The adhesive patch has an adhesive layer that extends wear time and provides comfort and durability for up to 7 days. In addition to the new infusion set, the Medtronic Extended reservoir is also tested and approved to keep insulin stable and safely used for up to 7 days.”

4 Likes

My very basic and overly-simplified understanding of the problem is that while glass is inert with insulin, plastics cause a problem. That’s why even the pen cartridges are made from glass rather than plastic.

So apparently they’ve done something to resolve that?

But another thing they can’t solve is that motion can contribute to the breakdown of insulin. Like it’s fine to have your insulin on a big ship (Sam). But if you were to have it on a small sailboat and try to do a circumnavigation, you would need to restock with new vials every once in a while. It would eventually breakdown, just from the constant motion.

I keep my pre-loaded syringes next to the treadmill, instead of attached to the treadmill. Because I know the vibration from the treadmill would kill them.

5 Likes