Medtronic 670G and CGM - Looking for pump pointers

Welcome @Shoshana, what type of pump are you currently using, and do you also use a CGM? Lots of pump users around here.

Medtronic 670G with CGM. I’ve found higher fiber, protein, and keto diet has helped lower my blood sugars. I noticed that wheat products usually spike my blood sugars more than other types of carbs. Vegetables and salads are helpful for more stability.

1 Like

FYI - I am going to split your topic out to generate more views and commentary.

Have you tried eating the wheat products later in your meal, or do a portion of your meal dose earlier?
Are you using Medtronic cgms with auto-mode? Sometimes a setting change can help the match of insulin bolus and food.

I recently started Tandem pump with C-IQ, so am also getting unexpected highs as I learn more about what triggers pump to change delivery rate.

How long have you used 670?
I used older Medtronic pumps with dexcom cgms, until last year when switched to Tandem.

1 Like

I am probably an outlier. I use a Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G6 most of the time. I have the Control-IQ software and I like it a lot. I have it in sleep mode all of the time and that appears to be better able to keep up with gradual rises in BG in the afternoons for me.

I swim about 5000 yards everyday and that is where it gets complicated. I found that I need to check BG periodically when swimming and the Dexcom does not work in the pool. Also, the Tandem pump is not warranted for pool swimming.

I also have found that I need insulin while swimming. It takes me about 90 minutes to do the 5000 yards and during that time my BG drops quickly in the first 30 minutes, but then starts to spike despite how fast I swim. In about an hour, if I do not have insulin, my muscles start to fail since they have no energy.

Therefore, I use a Medtronic 670G pump while swimming. It is warranted for swimming and after a few years, I have had no problems.

I also wear an Abbott Libre on my arm for BG sensing. It is not continuous and must be scanned using a meter or a phone, but I can do that quickly and easily while at the edge of the pool between sets. If I get a low number on the scan, I keep a bottle filled with Cytomax energy drink and with a few swallows, my BG quickly rises.

I also tried the Medtronic BG sensor for a while.

My preference: definitely the tandem pump and Dexcom sensor. To me, this has been the best thing I have ever seen for managing my diabetes. While I have a few sensors fail, mostly due to pulling out while swimming or the sensor wire getting into muscle tissue since I do not have much fat on me, Dexcom has always sent me replacements without a hassle. I do wish the Tandem pump was waterproof and I would discard the Medtronic pump in a second.

The Medtronic pump has given me a number of problems over the years and I believe that they have sent me 3 or four replacements. The Medtronic sensor was not good in my opinion.

3 Likes