Medtronic 670 recall

I have an old 670g subject to the recall. I will probably never use it again, it sits in a drawer as my backup-backup pump.

Has anyone sent theirs back as a part of the recall? They’ll send me a replacement 670 right? Not a newer model? I’m not going to send it back for another 670 but I have a mild interest in trying out a 770/780.

2 Likes

I would like to have a backup pump. If I had one of these 670g pumps, I would send it in to get the retainer ring replaced. That’s just me. I would not expect an upgrade.

1 Like

Right. I prefer my 530 as a backup, and I’m on Pods now so the backup is just more pods (unless something happens to the PDM, I suppose).

Anyway I am not for lack of options, so sending a recall isn’t of a lot of value to me unless its a different model.

2 Likes

Well my current pump back up inventory is:

1. Lantus SoloStar pen.
  2. Humalog KwikPen JR pens.
  3. 1 vial of Lantus.
    4 Lots of vials of Humalog.
  4. Loads of syringes and pen needles.

I am really pleased with Tandem C-IQ, but if I had to go MDI, it would be a minor aggravation.

2 Likes

Great to see someone with a plan! I have met a few too many diabetics in our sphere of friends that I am always shocked at the number of pump users that don’t have any Lantus laying around. Then they end up injecting one of the log inslulins every 4 hours until their pump gets replaced. uugh. So unnecessary.

2 Likes

Thanks, Chris, it comes from rural living, got to have backups.

2 Likes

If the pump is out of warranty, I doubt they would replace it. (The link says oow will be replaced, if ring is broken).

Any valid replacement could be a refurbished pump, usually same model.

I had a 523 fail a few years ago, and bummed when replacement was a 723. Now using Tandem.

1 Like

Mine was under warranty. I sent it in and got a new 670 back. It’s a backup for me too, since I use a Tandem. Not sure I even remember the training well enough to use it. Long after I sent the old one back I got an email saying I had not yet sent them my old pump. I just sent them the photographs from my phone documenting the return, and have not heard from them again.

1 Like

That pretty much mirrors my approach; I stop at (2). I do have humalog vials, but they are for filling the Omnipod. Bottom line I can survive on any “long” acting insulin, even Lantus. I don’t want to, but I could. The current tech still isn’t offering enough over MDI for me to be tied to it, it’s fine in a nice, protected, environment, but in the real world it doesn’t cut the mustard.

What was not on your list but is on mine is test strips. I don’t stock these as backups; I have five or six contour meters and the corresponding strips distributed everywhere I might need them. I try to rotate through the strips to keep them sort-of up-to-date, but they don’t evaporate so I’m not that worried. The only time I’ve started to panic was when I was running out of test strips 20 years or so ago and the two pharmacies in Cave Junction were closed. There is only one now, but I’m more careful. If the cure for diabetes is ever found I’ll be out at the test-strip parade throwing mine into the air, but until then.

1 Like

Oh I have strips and meter with me always. I have a kit with meter, strips, glucose and snacks.

I don’t test as often after I figured out G6 on the back of the arm is more reliable for me

1 Like

I wish. Anything on the back of my arm gets whacked off within a few days. Yet I have my own G6 location and it lasts 10 days, after the first you won’t find me poking my finger for another nine :slight_smile: I scatter glucose tablets around; it’s another point of possible panic but it’s easier to fix. McDonuts are always around, and while I would never stand under a pair of golden arches (one, maybe, not two) under normal circumstances… :slight_smile:

Thanks. Thats what I figured. I’ve been getting the warranty notice for a while now but they finally sent an ups care package urging me to send the old one in and I may as well respond.

I had the reverse experience with a 522. I sent in a later model, non loopable 522 and got back a pre-2.4 in return :stuck_out_tongue: .