Medicare and Switching from MDT to Dexcom Sensors

I have been using Medtronics MiniMed for about 3 years. I am going on Medicare 01/01/19. Looking to switch to Dexcom G6. Medtronics is really expensive! Needing input from current G6 users.

1 Like

Sure what input would you like?

Is dexcom easy to do business with? Does their monitoring system only check BP levels. Does it also have a insulin pump function?

@Marty In our experience, Dexcom is extremely easy to do business with. I have called them many times for support and replacement sensors when their sensors haven’t lived up to their warranty terms. All of my interactions with support and the company have been extremely positive.

The sensor checks Blood Sugar levels every 5 minutes and allows for alarms and following by family or friends that you would like to share your blood sugar levels with. It is extremely accurate for us and we couldn’t be happier. Also the new G6 sensor integrates with out Tandem pump and we are really happy with this.

Thanks!!! I am getting paperwork printed and contacting my endocrinologist on Wed.

Dexcom does not communicate with Medtronic pump, if that is what you are asking. It does communicate with Tandem, as mentioned.

I use medtronic pump 723 and dexcom CGMS, but they don’t talk to each other. (Unless using DYI Loop Systems with older models).

Tandem is the pump to use then. Does Medicare cover the cost of Tandem?

If your pump is out of warranty they should. But pump integration isn’t the only thing to look for.

I am looking at dexcom sensor with tandem pump.

Can you describe what you are currently using? Medtronic 640G with enlite sensors? Do you use and depend on enlite sensor to trigger suspend insulin, or just the integrated information on the pump screen?