Medicare Advantage and Freestyle Libre3

Hello,
My Medicare Advantage plan has been supporting the Freestyle Libre3 system in advance of Medicare approval. Originally I was told they could do this because an Advantage plan could expand the benefits of traditional Medicare and they were dropping coverage of Dexcom and encouraging patients to switch to Freestyle. I just go a call from my Medicare Advantage plan that they can no longer cover the Freestyle Libre3 after receiving a letter from Medicare prohibiting further coverage until the FDA approved Libre 3 reader is also approved by Medicare. I’ll have to switch back to the Libre 2 until that happens.

Anybody else using the Libre 3 from a Medicare Advantage plan? Just curious. I prefer the continuous aspect of the Libre 3 but will be okay scanning the Libre 2.

1 Like

@rdh76 I’m very confused, I just read an article saying Libre 3 WAS covered by Medicare. Found several articles from a few months back, including from Abbot themselves, indicating it WAS cleared by FDA and they (Abbot) were working on Medicare coverage. Perhaps the one article jumped the gun?

I’m on G6 and its performance works for me (a little wonky at times), but having the option would be nice for many people. Please keep us posted here as you go down the amazing road of our wonderful US medical system! (Sometimes the bureaucracy amazes me!)