Low carbohydrate diet in type 1 diabetes, long-term improvement and adherence

Conclusion: An educational program involving a low-carbohydrate diet and correspondingly reduced insulin doses for informed individuals with type 1 diabetes gives acceptable adherence after 4 years. One in two people attending the education achieves a long-term significant HbA1c reduction.

Low carbohydrate diet in type 1 diabetes, long-term improvement and adherence: A clinical audit - PMC

2 Likes

In case someone is wondering - 48 person, retrospective analysis.

Approx. 16 hours of education and a request to stay below 75 carbs per day. About half were able to maintain the lifestyle change.

1 Like

My endo tells me I am “highly educated” and “highly motivated.” Therefore, she says I am “an outlier, an edge case.”

She says her average patient could not sustain a low carb diet for more than 3-7 days. (That is, not long enough to truly adapt.)

This study shows that it is possible for T1s to eat a low carb diet and sustain it – for 4 years.

Yes, it was a fairly small study. Yes, half the pts dropped out. The point is that the 45-60 carb meals along w/ 15-30 carb snacks that I was provided by a CDE when diagnosed isn’t the only way.

(That CDE told me there were no other options. This was the officially blessed ADA diet. She noted in my chart that I asked a lot of questions re: carbs.)

I realize that my diet is considered “extreme” by many. Others would consider @Eric’s diet extreme, too… And yet, we are both rockin’ it.

There is no one-size-fits-all “diabetes diet.” Each of us has a unique microbiome, culture, socioeconomic status, personal taste, etc. Many of us have comorbidities (i.e. challenges). Why would we be presented with just one diet?

3 Likes

Britt, no argument from me. I think it is nice they are looking at things like this. I was not trying to disagree with you or minimize things, just let others understand that this is directional research. It takes a good number of these kind of studies before someone invests in a bigger more definitive study. It doesn’t mean it isn’t valid, just that it could all be caused by one amazing educator which can’t be replicated in the “real” world.

1 Like