Loop: Getting Started

I had a doozy of a low yesterday…and ordered my RileyLoop for OmniPod this morning. On backorder so I will have plenty of time to prep. I’d welcome any start-up advice from experienced users. :pray:

2 Likes

:clap:

Temper your expectations, Loop is definitely not a set-it-and-forget-it system, and it takes some time to learn how it works, how to adjust the settings, and how to make best use of it. But the outcomes can be very rewarding!

First, loopdocs and looptips are great resources - worth going through carefully. Do not worry if you find that there are parts that are not clear or easy to understand. You can always go back to these resources when a specific question comes up.

Once you setup the system, I’d recommend keeping Loop open-loop for some time - just to get familiar with user interface, observe glucose predictions, etc. Then, once you feel comfortable and you have some time available, close the loop and observe how it works and why it’s making certain dosing decisions. It is very likely that you may need to make adjustments to your settings (insulin sensitivity, carb ratio, basal rates).

Just FYI, most Loop users are on the FB Looped group, but there are a few of us here as well. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your advice and support! :pray::smiley_cat:

What’s the current status of the branch of LOOP that has that has the temporary overrides feature? Can you post a link to it?

It’s a branch named JoJo assembled by Katie DiSimone. Here is her wiki, which explains the extra features, and the JoJo branch itself. It goes without saying that Loop branches with experimental features should be treated with extra caution.

1 Like

I’ve had the strangest issue with LOOP lately. If I shutdown/reboot the iPhone, all the loop settings are erased. It no longer knows that I have a CGM or pump, it doesn’t know my ISF or carb ratio or anything. Is this simply an unfortunate interaction between iOS 13.2 and LOOP 1.9.5?

Swipe out the Loop app, and restart Loop. Hopefully, the settings should come back?

Edit: Pete (the main Loop developer) has recently opened an issue which I believe is related to what you’ve experienced: https://github.com/LoopKit/Loop/issues/1170. Swipe-out and restart should restore the settings.

1 Like

I built and installed the current release 1.9.6 of loop with the current xcode and updated carthage etc., and have confirmed that the issue is still there.

Fortunately, your solution works. I wish I had thought to try that rather than re-entering all the data each time…