Life with mara

Wow, you clearly know your training and your dog!!! I’m so impressed! Thank you for describing the techniques and the reasoning behind those techniques. You are not your average dog owner and if anyone can train a D dog, it is you! I’m sorry you have to also be inflicted with D, too, of course. :wink: I think all your effort and positive outlook together with Mara will definitely give you greater insight into D and its daily impact on your own body.

Mara is absolutely magnificent in the snow and mountain background!!! :heart: :dog2:

5 Likes

she’s not the average dog, so that works out :sweat_smile: thanks! i have a lot of family who are very experienced working with animals and they got us started on the right path for sure. honestly part of why i am oversharing so much on this is to provide that insight, a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into it. the whole relationship dynamic changes when you go from pet to working animal, and your responsibilities to your teammate shift accordingly. i’ve certainly learned a lot as we are going through the process: i had a sense of what it might be like, but (lots of parallels to diabetes in general) the reality of doing the thing always has hidden complexities. it’s not quite as simple as “your dog goes everywhere with you that must be nice” :sweat_smile: (which we get from well-meaning strangers more often than you’d think! not only is it more work than it looks like on the canine front, also it means i have a chronic illness i would rather not have… but i digress :rofl::rofl:). you obviously get it, none of us wanted this but we’re all just doing the best we can to play the hands we were dealt… and i’m always grateful my hand includes m!

4 Likes

told you everyone would be sick of her!

although she is uncommonly motivated just by praise, she’s still a dog, and dogs (like us!) are all about that snack game.

in no particular order, mara loves:
pup cups aka whipped cream
fresh fruits (especially apples and berries)
baby carrots (celery was a reject)
hard candies
fruit snacks and gummies
a bite of a granola or clif bar
nuts (a fiend for candied almonds!)
pretzels
dried beef tendons/tracheas
bully sticks
icicles (i store these in the freezer for summer relief!)
marrow bones (frozen is best)
canned pumpkin
whatever i’m eating because she’s convinced it’s better than what she’s eating even when it’s the same thing

mostly, she gets training treat bites or pieces of kibble (we do too much training for bigger rewards, she’d be sick!), but the above are all extremely high value rewards for her. you should see the enthusiasm with which she sits when i’m waving a strawberry around.

she is also very aware of what’s going on around her and she desperately believes that she is also a people. she was so jealous of me getting the mail that we installed her own mailbox for her (our neighborhood all picks up at the junction with the main road). it’s at her height and all the neighbors know to put their junk mail in the red mailbox for her so she can “get the mail” too. this desire to be a full participant means she’s also very into matching with me. i show her the one for her (almost always a bandana, she has some jackets too) and the one for me (some combo of hat, scarf, t-shirt, sunglasses etc) before putting them on, so she can see the matching. you wouldn’t think she would care, but she’s really into “mommy and me” outfits :roll_eyes: she doesn’t have full color vision obviously, but she can recognize patterns or approximate matches pretty well and she starts spinning in circles she’s so stoked. so if anyone needs me i’ll be over here doing the homer simpson into the bushes while people talk about millenials who treat their dogs like children :rofl::woman_shrugging:t2::laughing:

7 Likes

That is amazing!! I wish my pups would eat them! All of the treats you give Mara seem healthy. My pups prefer meat, chicken, fish but they will sometimes take pieces of apple.

I adore the matching bandanas! What a happy doggie and owner!!

3 Likes

honestly, it’s the weirdest thing with her. i can share a sandwich with her by trading bites, as in she’ll take a polite nibble from the main sandwich when offered without trying to steal or snarf the rest. she literally eats baby carrots in multiple bites and chews her fruit snacks. i’ve recorded her doing it because i’ve personally actually never seen a dog do that before: i thought it was so bizarre that i asked the vet if i should be concerned :rofl::rofl: dr z said no cause for alarm but agreed it was strange.

she will spend a full 60 seconds savoring a treat. i clocked her with a jordan almond, i’m not even kidding. she turned it over in her mouth a few times to melt the candy, then gently cracked it with her teeth, dropped the resulting pieces, and ate them one at a time. it isn’t a one off behavior and it is just the weirdest thing in a dog :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2::rofl: i guess the upside is it means those chewable dental treats actually work for her, because she chews them instead of gulping them whole like a normal animal :rofl: she truly thinks she’s at least part person.

2 Likes

Mara is definitely a polite doggie!! I am sure she is taking her cue from you!! Afghans tend to be this way, too, but given the opportunity, they’ll “snarf” an entire chicken off the kitchen counter, too! I wish my pups would actually chew their food like Mara! I’ve actually stopped giving them the Greenies since they eat them too fast!

6 Likes

she’s literally never stolen anything edible, actually. super weird right?! and i taught her “no shopping” for any dropped food (she’s always been very polite by default but we got really maniacal about it on purpose for public access training, because in no circumstances should she ever be scamming people for treats, fishing off shelves, nor snacking off the floor in a store or restaurant! and the easy way to do that of course is simply to teach her never to eat random stuff off the ground and only to take food that’s offered, rather than trying to teach her the difference between various scenarios).

yours are absolutely majestic!!! may i ask their names? (totally understand if that feels like too much sharing, but i would love to have names to put to those regal faces :heart:)

3 Likes

I love the “no shopping” idea! I hope my pups eventually get to that point! Both are better as they grow to adulthood. They will still pick up something from the ground though, so I generally need to watch where THEY look! I definitely don’t want them eating anything from the ground outside! The white one is Shiro, and black one is Chacha.

2 Likes

shiro… do you speak japanese!? that’s the japanese word for white! (i lived in the tohoku region 2009-2012 as an english teacher, yes i was in the quake/tsunami/nuke incident :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2:.) what a pair! and that first two or so years with any dog is a time of constant vigilance and endless gentle corrections​:rofl: the crux for our “no shopping” training was having a BETTER treat to offer in exchange for leaving the dropped item: for us, it worked super well for me to make a big show of producing something from the tabletop (just keep a ziploc of whatever you’re using with you) in exchange for not snatching the dropped item. conditioning her to think that when something hit the floor, she would hear “no shopping” and it meant that something even better was about to come straight from on high also taught her to look UP at me as her default when something dropped, making it easy to secure her attention and alleviating the need for the ninja skills to spot it before she did. to prevent her from translating this into simply begging or associating the table with treats, i always paired it with the verbal command “no shopping” to build that association. she no longer needs a reward to honor the command, and that’s how we trained ironclad no food snatching manners! good luck!

and you’re a champ for taking on two at once! i have an only child, and i can’t even imagine juggling twins. brava to you!!!

4 Likes

Yikes, man, that was scary!! Glad you are okay! I visited colleagues in Sendai shortly before it occurred and felt bad for the people there. Wow, you lived in Japan a long time! Yes, I do speak Japanese, but not fluently. Thank you for your tips on the “gentle corrections”! These are excellent and you explain them so well! I confess I have not really tried any training with these two, and hence, they do have the upper paw on me!!

I like your reference to the “ninja skills”!! Funny, that’s exactly what it is!! I’ll have to start carrying treats for them on their walks as that is when they especially like to “picnic”, even dead / live animals :frowning: !

Any tips on how to keep them from chasing squirrels? One in particular has a penchant to chase them. She stops as soon as I tell her NO, but it is usually after she has nearly pulled my arm out of its socket (they are always on a lead in open, outdoor space)!! This is another reason why I have to mind where their attention is focused!!

2 Likes

i used the same “leave it” command for running squirrels as for squished ones. again, really what did it was getting her to associate the event with a treat from me. so i wear a belt pouch (this one right now: Kurgo RSG YORM Tactical Dog Treat… Amazon.com ) with either training treats or simple kibble bits in it, and a clicker. that way i always have the ability to mark and reward a desired behavior on the fly. the goal is that your dogs sees a squirrel, and rather than chase the squirrel they turn to you expecting a treat.

for pulling, we curbed that by using a herm sprenger prong collar. there are mixed opinions on this tool around the internet, but i found it very useful. when using a flat lead (the prong collar cannot be used with a stretch lead!), if a dog goes to pull it will activate a correction on its own. this quickly taught mara that yanking on the leash wasn’t a desirable behavior: the collar offers an autocorrect for pulling behavior with little extra work from you. it’s fairly easy to read up on proper use of the collar and it can really make a difference!

karen laws, on instagram, is a fantastic resource for this sort of thing. we watched a lot of her videos, everything from teaching not to rush the door to how to do introductions to other people, end pulling behaviors, etc. early on. she provides a comprehensive look at a variety of tools and methods to achieve your goals: i think her username is @karenlawslive? at any rate here is the website:

we found her really helpful and she has a very balanced approach to training methods and tools, and it’s very judgement-free and outcome-oriented info.

ps: i neglected to mention, because it’s digusting, that one of mara’s very few weaknesses is freshly laid turkey crap. we have huge herds of wild turkeys roaming near our house and she loves their, uh, “pudding plops”. :turkey::poop::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice!! Makes a lot of sense!! I will check out the belt pouch and Karen Laws’ videos for teaching my pups!! I can see you definitely know what you are doing and really appreciate your recommendations! And yes, I still have problems with them wanting to say Hello to all people and all dogs!! They are overly friendly. Most people love them, but of course, not all, so I need to respect their space. It can be challenging at times to calm them down. They have a lot of friends and they get so excited when they seem them on a walk!

Haha, yes, we have geese and bunnies who, like your turkeys, leave their “plops”, too :turkey: :rabbit2:

2 Likes

mara is a little more reserved but the methodology holds. basically just trying to ask them not to see their friends isn’t very motivating and can make being called back seem like kind of a bummer.

but!!! if you can practice situations where they get recalled, and it means a cookie and praise and pets and then some of the time they also subsequently get permission to go play, now we’re talking. dogs are born gamblers and if you can drill it into their skulls that leave it and recall are fun games that usually result in rewards, and that some of the time they get rewards AND also what they wanted in the first place… you see where i’m going with this! they will now have an interest in listening to you and over time, you will be able to taper off how frequently you reward the behavior. born gamblers! the result will be strong recall, and the ability to release your dog to play or greet in a controlled manner. some of this is simply a maturity thing (it sounds like m is a little older), and also it just takes time and practice practice practice. but i know you got this!

i still don’t know how you manage two! and btw i just can’t get over their coats, they look so luxurious and elegant! is it a lot of grooming to keep them so pretty? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, I don’t do this! Well, I give them pets and praise, but not a cookie, since I don’t carry any with me! That is something I will do from now on! You are absolutely right! My doggies are definitely gamblers! I love this description, and very important distinction in training with BOTH treat reward and sometimes just play!! I had not thought of this technique before but it makes a lot of sense! Thank you for this tip!!

Two pups are not that much more demanding. They love playing with each other. Their coats are indeed luxurious! They need to be bathed and brushed frequently but the time is worth it!! Daily brushing is best but each only requires a few minutes of time as long as there are no mats. I have a grooming table and doggie blow dryer which I’ve learned are critical to post bathing! I used to not use them and would just let their hair dry naturally but doing so risks matting their fur while they lounge on their wet coat! Bathing frequency depends on how dirty they get outdoors, esp due to bad weather - think of a white hound becoming black due to running on dirt paths! Generally, they get bathed weekly though, and drying/brushing takes about 15 minutes each. Every few months I have them professionally groomed where they trim their paws (otherwise hair gets too long for walking!). Otherwise, both keep their coats naturally without any trimming. The black one is a mountain hound so she has fluffy hair along her spine. The white one is a desert hound, identified by his smooth spine. Desert hounds are the ones that are typically shown. I was told by a breeder that mountain hounds can be shown but the hair along the spine needs to be removed (pulled out!). I don’t show my hounds. Sorry, for the long post! Way too much info on grooming!! :upside_down_face: I think Mara may be a bit less time to groom, but since she is clearly outdoors a lot, still needs bathing and brushing, despite her shorter coat!!

3 Likes

first off please never ever apologize for telling me in great detail anything about dogs :rofl::wink: i kind of like the critters if you didn’t notice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: i love learning more about them in any form.

and on recall: yes exactly. get them to realize that the ask to leave someone be, wait to say hi, or come back doesn’t just always mean the fun is over! sometimes it means a pet and a cookie and “ok go play!”. sometimes it’s a pet and a cookie and a short wait and then a return to play. sometimes, it means a cookie and pets and the fun is over…but now they’re thinking about if it’s worth rolling the dice. think like a dog!

you can even build up to teaching for example, to hold a sit-stay until/unless given a cue (like “go say hi”), or if they have human friends who want to help out, you could even think about teaching them to wait until the friend invites them over with a cue of your choice. it’s all built off the same starting point, which is being able to get and hold their attention.

i could never with all that hair care, i don’t do that much for me! :rofl: i had a long haired cat, and that made me very certain that i wanted a short-coated dog, honestly. i also purposely chose a color that wouldn’t show dirt no joke :grimacing::sweat_smile: she gets rinsed off if she’s a real disaster, otherwise we use a towel when we come in from walks and i go over her with a slicker glove maybe every couple weeks. she’s super low maintenance even though we spend a lot of time outside. shiro and chacha are fabulous though, all your hard work with them shows! they’re really beautiful and clearly deeply loved and meticulously cared for.

4 Likes

Yes, I think this is key and something I’ve never thought to do!!! Great suggestion! They love to play so I think this will really work for them! :dog2: :service_dog: I like the various cues you have come up with. I usually just use “No!” or “No pulling!”, neither are very imaginative!

Haha, Mara is definitely the right color!! :dog:

Oh, gosh, I wish the glove worked on Afghans! I’m glad you can use it! I also had a long haired cat when Chacha arrived. She was not a cat pup! I had no idea how to groom a cat, so I just gave her a lion cut every spring! :lion:

2 Likes

i figured i live in a cabin in the forest with ticks and underbrush, and it snows in the winter and it’s hot in the summer, so i was in the market for a fairly all-arounder sort of breed as far as coat. i wanted something that didn’t leave her totally vulnerable to hypothermia, but wasn’t going to need to be shaved in summer or make tick checks hell (it’s easier to get a good visual on the skin with a short coat to spot the lil buggers), or constantly need to be de-mudded, de-shrubberied, de-burred, de-snowballed… hence the malinois! (we are twenty miles from the nearest small town, so we also don’t have regular access to a groomer/grooming facility.)

again, if you’re able to meet their needs they check a lot of boxes: low grooming maintenance, low incidence of genetic defects, personable, very smart, very trainable, all-around fairly weatherproof, medium sized (she’s a leggy and lean 50lbs, small enough i can carry her off a trail if i have to), very sporty and athletic, confident, and basically a go-anywhere do-anything dog. i still maintain you would see a lot more around if the price of entry weren’t so high :sweat_smile: the really towering challenge for most folks here, even more than the exercise needs, is that mals bond to their person like glue, and simply don’t thrive if they don’t get full-time face-time all the time, and most people have family lives or work lives or hobbies or whatever that makes that really hard. (as a childless WFH air force widow living alone way out in the hills and on my way to grad school, i am the rare person without those kinds of “distractions” - that’s the secret behind how she gets such a monopoly on me :wink::sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2:…)

you genuinely do need to raise them as if they were a human toddler requiring a daily 5k run. they’re definitely a people dog not a dog dog, so i am sorta jealous that chacha and shiro keep each other amused! i have always thought that would be a highlight of having more than one. on the other hand, mara’s peopley tendencies lend themselves to her main job, so it works out. all about that fit yeah?!

i do use no pulling, no, leave it, all the basics, but often when we get into a more advanced behavior, i do have a little fun with the wording. it’s something i’m likely to repeat often, so i select a word or phrase that pops to mind naturally and has a sort of conversational vibe. this is just me being a little anthropomorphic but i like to believe those more conversational interactions improve our relationship. also i think it’s cute and so do other people when you say things like “no shopping” or “gimme smile”, “ok go say hi”, “wanna check your peemail?”, etc.

i’ve taught her these sorts of things so now, when she’s on a heel for walks (she is almost always off leash, so this is pure voice control), she’ll kind of nudge me in the back of my knee when something catches her interest and i can ask “wanna go check your peemail?” and let her go check out whatever it is. i retain the ability to say no not right now, but most of the time it’s a yes. it’s sort of like a small child tugging your hand and asking to go look at a shop window. this lets us communicate so that i remain in charge and know where she’s going and what she’s doing, but she has room to express her wants and interests too. since she can cue me when she wants to scope something out, she gets real input on the team itinerary. sometimes we can honor those requests and sometimes we can’t (whatever it was on the ground there let’s move, oncoming traffic dummy!), but ultimately she gets the sense that she’s a participant and it makes things really nice for everyone. i struggled for a while to figure out how to balance between being a “walk dictator”, wherein i rule with iron fist and call every shot, with the opposite end of the spectrum of letting her run roughshod all over me on walks (which confounds our overall authority dynamic). i found that this strategy of letting her ask to check things out gave us the best of both worlds, (it also endruns bolting after objects of interest if the default is to ask first!) and turned walks into an activity that’s cooperative with active engagement for both of us.

see? don’t apologize for writing a lot! i could talk about dogs forever.

derp.

4 Likes

@panda great training!

From what I’ve read, the key to declaring a true diabetes service dog (which would allow m with you on a plane, grocery store, restaurant, almost anywhere!) would be that m:

1. Recognizes and alerts you to the low - accomplished!
    AND
  2. Retrieves either the dextrose, or glucagon kit, or both. If you’re shakey and confused, you don’t have to search for it. In a dire situation, someone else could help you, too, since m has the kit ready.

From the sound of it, #2 should be no problem for m to learn.

Keep us posted!

4 Likes

actually unfortunately there isn’t a standard or any formal requirements beyond the terms of the ADA. it sucks in some ways, and is a big loophole for abuse: there is no standard or requirement for specific training or specific function for any kind of service dog. the law just says she has to do something, which she does, so she has that access already. i do usually ask the manager if it’s ok since we are still training, but people have been super welcoming. it is indeed very regrettable from my perspective there isn’t any specific set of things we need to “meet”, which makes it all my judgement call… i would absolutely dedicate us to any standards if they existed, i live in dread that someone thinks i might be faking!! i so wish a standard existed! :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2: but in reality all she has to do is behave in public (check!) and provide a trained function of any kind: simply alerting actually qualifies her under the language of the law, no additional skills required. personally i wish it WAS more regulated (to deter cheaters and also because i would feel better myself if an “official” cert or license existed, or even official standards for what the dog does), but that’s not the case. so actually there isn’t any kind of requirement for what precise functions the animal has to perform.

all that said if you watch the video i posted of her responding to a low (it’s higher up in this thread), she already actually does assist in treating as well! for the record, we do not have any glucagon: we treat lows at home with juice boxes, and out in public she wears all her insignia plus a labelled molle pouch on her vest containing a glucometer and glucose gel. i chose gel because as a former EMT i know it can safely be administered by a bystander even in the event of altered mental status or incomplete consciousness, as long as gag/swallow reflex is intact. i have more severe lows than i do highs, and lows are a more immediate health threat, so that is where we focused her “treatment” training so far: she will alert to both high and low but so far only treats lows. we can always expand her skill set later. since we have already covered both alerting and treating (that was the easy part, i can do a post on scent sample nosework training and item retrieval if people are curious how to do it themselves! and she’s a natural at wanting to help treat the low), the bulk of what remains for us to train is just maintaining her diabetic specific skills, and keeping her on task and out of the way in public situations. it’s a lot of sitting quietly for long periods in busy places dispensing cookies at random intervals while she lies on my feet :rofl::woman_shrugging:t2:

pretty cool huh?! people sometimes speculate that my late husband sent m to watch over me. i don’t know if i believe that, but she’s just magical enough to make me wonder! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Yes, I’m glad m is already doing that! :clap:

I realize there isn’t a specific diabetes service dog list…but someone I know who is training their dog for the same purpose said that to comply fully with these ADA requirements, both the Alert and the Task give the solid compliance of a service dog.

https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-2010-requirements/

Otherwise, she said, it can be argued her CGM is the alert, why need the dog if it isn’t doing anything more than the CGM.

Solely a suggestion, so you’re never questioned. And each state has different laws, too. Fun.

I personally use dextrose for lows, but always have glucagon on me “just in case”. In all my years with T1 I’ve never needed a rescue. But I’m like an OSHA safety officer - prevention first, but prepare for the worst!

4 Likes