Libre 2 as CGM in USA

sounds like if you switched to dexcom or Eversense, your a1c might improve, in the us, we can often have our drs fight for dexcom or pumps, etc, but i have no idea about other countries…seems like more and more companies are leaning towards pharmacy, which usually makes everything cheaper… have you tried testing on your arm? my arm tests vs finger tests usually only varied if i was eating or if i recently gave insulin or exercise… waking up/fasting, your arm and finger tests should be close… seems to hurt less, although i always had different lancet settings/devices for the arm

Libre 3 is totally different. The libre3 app looks exactly the same on the outside, but the inside is totally different. But it doesn’t seem to be more accurate than Libre 2. According to Abbott itself is the mean difference between sensor values and the real values is the same:

Unsurpassed 14-day accuracy — The FreeStyle Libre 3 system has a mean absolute relative difference (MARD), a measurement of performance for CGMs, of 9.2% for adults. This latest tech and FreeStyle Libre 2 are the only CGM sensors sustaining a high level of accuracy over 14 days.

Unsurpassed 14-day accuracy — The FreeStyle Libre 2 system has a combined mean absolute relative difference (MARD), a measurement of performance for CGMs, of 9.3% (9.2% for adults and 9.7% for pediatrics), making it the only iCGM sensor sustaining a high level of accuracy over 14 days.

1 Like

So I installed Juggluco a couple days ago, with 3 days remaining on my sensor. I connected it to xdrip using the menu option. It worked very well for about a day. The next day, I stopped receiving Bluetooth connection from the sensor in both The libre app, and the Juggluco app. The libre app would still do an NFC scan of the sensor. Juggluco gave me a message about needing to replace the sensor when I attempted an NFC scan.

Do the sensors sometimes lose ability to send a Bluetooth signal? I guess I don’t know for sure. At this point I intend to start a new sensor, since the old sensor was getting inaccurate anyway.

Sensors sometimes lose the ability to send via Bluetooth, but that is shown differently. If you remove the battery out of a sensor you have just ripped off, the sensor is still shown in the sensor screen of Juggluco, and that will show status=133 connection errors. Sometimes a sensor has status=133 connection errors for a long time, without any difficulty with scanning.

(If the sensor has a sensor error, in which case scanning results in a failure, the sensor screen shows a failure after ‘glucose value’.)

In your case, interpretation of the scan returned a SENSOR TERMINATED error and Juggluco removed it from the list of available sensors. That why it isn’t shown in Juggluco’s sensor screen.

The Libre 2 app should give the same message.

EDIT:
I see just now that the US Libre 2 app has a new version, that contains a libDataProcessing.so that doesn’t work with Juggluco. Thus you have installed a different one. They will also function somewhat differently.
EDIT2:
It is unlikely that the sensors are different.
Is it possible that US Libre2 2.7.2 has somehow changed the sensor? They would do, if they could. In that case you can better start the sensor with US Libre2 2.7.1.

1 Like

Update:. It works! I’m using Juggluco to collect the Libre2 signal, and transmitting to xdrip+with Juggluco.

Xdrip+ then receives the data stream, and does all the excellent things it can do: predictive analytics, custom alarms, etc. It even will send up my BGs to the cloud so my wife can track my BGs (and get alarms) just like she did with my dexcom.

Thanks @jka ! None of this would be possible without your critical link between the Libre2 and xdrip.

(BTW: I’m now digging into the capabilities of xdrip+, more than I have before… It’s awesome. Even can have my BGs on a screen saver on my phone at night, while it’s charging).

ETA: I forgot to mention, I used the libre app to start the sensor, then took it over with Juggluco. I disabled alarms in the libre app and shut off the libre app entirely. I then needed to manually pair the sensor with my Bluetooth, since killing the libre app apparently broke the Bluetooth connection)

1 Like

Even can have my BGs on a screen saver on my phone at night, while it’s charging.

Juggluco can show the current glucose value on the lock screen.

It even will send up my BGs to the cloud so my wife can track my BGs

Juggluco can send its data via TCP directly to another exemplar of Juggluco (Left middle menu-> Mirror).

Juggluco’s glucose values are not 5 minutes old, as are xDrips.

I then needed to manually pair the sensor with my Bluetooth, since killing the libre app apparently broke the Bluetooth connection

Sounds very remarkable to me. Where did you manually pair the sensor with your Bluetooth?

1 Like

Ok thanks @jka , I haven’t checked out those features yet.

By manually pairing the Bluetooth, I just used the Bluetooth menu in my phone, discovering available devices, and then pairing with the sensor when it appeared in the list, that seemed to do it for me.

Oddly, when I checked just now, it doesn’t show up in the list of “connected devices”, even though it’s working fine.

1 Like

Slight thread drift here,

Is there a way to calibrate with Libre2 in the USA? Maybe with xdrip+?

My current sensor is stubbornly 30 points low. Ability to calibrate or add an offset would help, imo.

Never mind, I think I figured it out in xdrip. Needed to allow plugin calibration using the xdrip algorithm, and then needed to configure the display to use the plugin number. A couple of calibrations later, and I’m in business

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the upper limit on calibration appears to be 20 mg/dl.

I never saw a Libre2 sensor shown in the list of Bluetooth devices, except once. I also tried to pair it then, but I don’t think that it is of much use.

I saw it, only that one time. Maybe it was an odd sensor? With subsequent sensors, I haven’t needed to manually pair in this fashion.