Learning How To Bolus

Try pressing a little more firmly over the inserter area of the pod to reduce/prevent recoil. This has helped me a lot.

I feel like I have this issue, too…plus one of my cats likes to knead on my belly, which surely doesn’t help matters.

4 Likes

Although it’s probably covered by incorrect dosing, I’ll throw in incorrect carb counting (or guessing). Usually happens away from our own kitchens. Look at some food, guess it’s x grams of carbs, bolus, eat, and get a surprise when your CGM sends the “high BG” alert 45 minutes later. I am guessing that is the most frequent cause of unexpected BG spikes. Sometimes it’s incorrect wishful thinking, (“I’ll bolus for 20 grams and only eat a few nachos…”).

5 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Luckily I have the calorie king food library on my dash pdm, however - due to the skeptic in me, I will still google nutrition facts to verify again. Sometimes I’ve found the pdm undershoots the carb count, so I will manually put the higher number in. Typically the carb bolus is on point this way, and I have minimal issues. One thing I have noticed is that my breakfast and dinner boluses more often than not need correction. I believe that in the morning and evening I’m a little bit more resistant and may either need a different basal setting for this (I’ve increased by 5% to cover these meals and it seems to help blunt the spike) or may need to look at a different I:C ratio for morning and night. Afternoon is perfect though, I usually pre-bolus 30 mins before lunch and never go past 140.

6 Likes