Forgot to take my basal

Ok, I know this is the stupidest thing I’ve ever done re diabetes. Never done it before. Somehow, completely forgot to take my 18 units of Tresiba last night. Didn’t realize until 8:30 this morning. Took it then, but have no idea how to deal with this. I totally forgot what having sustained highs feels like. I’ve been trying to bring it down with boluses,(trying IM for the first time) but its not really working. My question is, how much Humalog should I be taking at a time, and at what intervals? Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your mistake and your woes. I wish I could help but I am on the pump and have no clue how Tresbia works. I wish I did, just in case my pump breaks, etc.

I am certain that shortly someone will chime in and give you helpful suggestions. Thats what we do here on FUD. And I am certain 100% that you are not alone in this situation!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :heart:

4 Likes

Hey @Mariethm!

So, I’ve not used Tresiba before. I thought it was theoretically somewhat flexible about timing, so that might be helpful.

I myself ended up in a bit of a ■■■■ show when my endo had me trying different timing on my Lantus…and then I improvised big time and got myself in a hole. What I learned from that experience is this (take whatever seems useful to you and leave the rest):

1. You will be okay.
  2. Reach out to your endo for some guidance.
  3. Drink a lot of fluids to keep your hydration up. Like a lot of fluids. This is what got me because I didn’t keep enough hydration going while I was in a basal-less situation.
  4. It’s okay to be aggressive with the correction doses to limp you through. The nice thing is those only have so long of a tail to worry about while you get the big picture back on the tracks.
  5. If you get fruity breath, go to the ER. That’s what ended up happening in my situation. But I did some stuff WAY stupider than your understandable mistake so I don’t see that happening to you.

I hope it smoothes out soon!!!

5 Likes

For us, if my son is over 300, the his blood sugar based insulin resistance requires a 1.5 - 1.8 dose. When he is over 400 it is more like 2x. Sometimes it takes a couple boluses to deal with.

3 Likes

Years ago, I had to switch from Lantus, because its so unforgiving about schedules. Running home because I had to work 2 hours late, setting alarms for my shot at 8 when I had to be at work at 5 am…no thank you!
I’m not even sure what the carryover is with Tresiba, maybe an extra 12 hours? I know you’re not supposed to take it less than 12 hours apart, due to stacking…
Thank you for the advice! I’m definitely hydrating. At this rate, I’ll be spending the rest of the day in the loo!
My husband keeps on asking what “fruity breath” smells like. “An orange? Pineapple? Kiwi? Coconut?” He’s completely serious, but I can’t help cracking jokes. And he keeps sniffing at me!

I’ll be ok, I’ve been timing the corrections, and obsessively checking my Cgm. I’ll just have to keep a close eye on it, and stay away from anything yummy!

4 Likes

So I never knew what they meant by fruity breath either. I was home alone with my baby and had to go to the pharmacy to get Pedialyte/Gatorade whatever trying to fix my situation and when I was driving in my car, it smelled like Bath and Body Works had exploded all over everything. I was like, “I don’t even own Bath and Body Works lotion…where is that coming from?? Oh crap! That’s me! That’s the fruity breath they warned me about!”

So that’s the best way I can describe it. You can’t miss it when it happens. I think I went 36 hours without Lantus. Not great.

6 Likes

Think of overripe bananas.

4 Likes

My husband’s least favorite smell! That’ll be easy to identify!

2 Likes

I think it smells a lot like the old fruity gum like juicy fruit, it has that chemically edge.

1 Like

@Mariethm, how are you doing today?

2 Likes

Crazy busy day. Forgot to update. Thank you for reminding me!
Doing ok, kinda out of whack from yesterday’s stress and roller coaster. Was very low this morning, as my basal was a bit overlapped, but hopefully it will just take another day or 2 to get back to “normal”.
I hate the next-day ughs of sustained lows or highs!
Thanx to everyone for the help!

5 Likes

I walk fast every day, and my Dexcom shows me that I drop 60-70 blood glucose points in 90 minutes.
I’ve used this to manage when I’m too high.

Ken

5 Likes

Insulin sensitivity is very person subjective. I take 1 unit of humalog for every 30 mg/dL above 100. Like I said everyone is a little different. I take a very small about if basal, 1.5 units, twice in a 24 hour period. I also take 4 units of humalog before each meal. I also use the Dexcom G6 system to give me a constant evaluation of my BG level and projections. I use a smartwatch as a standalone BG data collector. The watch does send the data to my smartphone when the phone is available. I do use the Dexcom receiver for all calibrations and sensor changes. I know this is a strange configuration but it prevents any conflicts since my smartphone and watch use xDrip and the Wear OS.

2 Likes

@dmac
Wow, your basal’s low! My lowest since dx is 12! And at that point, I could eat an entire pint of ice cream using only 4 units humalog! Oh, for that insulin sensitivity again! (I was also working 60 hrs/wk and weighed 109 lbs, that may have something to do with it…:crazy_face:) So, I definitely know how individual insulin sensitivity it!

When I asked how much to take, it was mainly because there’s some really smart people on here that have done calculations for every foreseeable “hiccup”. I’m not so good with the sciencey stuff…:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Mariethm; I am sure the goal of all T1Ds is to keep a good A1C without any hypoglycemic events. I have been able to keep my A1C in the range of 5.3. Of course I don’t consume any fast acting carbs. And as have mentioned a normal Body Mass Index also helps.

For my basal I use an old type of insulin, NPH. The main reason for using NPH is the even distribution with two doses. Of course when I was first diagnosed as a T1D in 1974 that was the only type of long lasting insulin available.

2 Likes