Lancets are “deadly weapons”

Sounds like a 6th grader screwing around like they do, to me… instead of “assault with a deadly weapon”

From the outside, it appears that this is a total overreaction. According to the article, the kid found a lancet and started poking the kids around him. He seems to have just horsed around.

But he could also be a bully, and this would be the straw that broke the camel’s back? Speaking for myself, I have no pity for bullies.

1 Like

The kid may or may not be a turd, but this is silly. Do you assault your son with a deadly weapon while he is sleeping?

Do I assault myself with a deadly weapon every day many times? It sounds like a young kid goofing around to me… and an inappropriate charge.

Perhaps something like a phone call home and some after school detention in which he could have written an apology and a paper on risks of blood-born pathogens would be more appropriate

3 Likes

In the video report, they report that a diabetic Lancet is used to check insulin levels.

Can’t they get the facts right!!

2 Likes

I agree that it’s an overreaction, but I also understand the “deadly weapon” label now that we live in the era of HIV — like medical professionals have to treat used sharps and patient blood as potentially lethal hazards.

3 Likes

One of the students drew blood from the injury, according to the chief.

If only one student drew blood, I would avoid that brand of lancets like the plague.

5 Likes

None if that could have happened if they had used a Fastclick :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is really stupid for a kid to do that.

But maybe they are using it to harass other kids. Also, the other people could get infected by the blood.

1 Like

Used lancets are dangerous. After about eight months use they become somewhat difficult to remove from the lancing device. Injury may ensue.

After a year it’s almost like they’re soldered in.

2 Likes