Just ordered all versions of the Countour Next: your questions?

Thank you so much @MaryPat! This information is really helpful, along with @docslotnick mentioning about the xdrip features, I think it’ll really help folks.

I went ahead and ordered the EZ because it was the only thing I could get in 2 days with Amazon Prime (and I had only 1 hour left to the cutoff for two day shipping.)

Your information about the screens is really helpful, and if my mom is willing to test, and finds it difficult to read, I will probably select a different meter.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and best of luck with the moving!

1 Like

Have you been able to find meter averages on the One?

I can find them on the Next USB (under trends) but not on the One. I suspect that is because I am supposed to use the APP which I do not do because the app and xdrip+ do not play well together.

2 Likes

I agree with MaryPat. my favorite meter is the ONE. i love how small it is and i love the back light. i can see everything very clearly, especially in the dark (like in a movie theater or at night when i wake up still half asleep to do a finger stick) it is one of the most accurate meters i have ever used, as well. just ask Eric :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks! I did at first actually because I couldn’t find this thread! Lol! He talked me out of the Walmart ReliOn meter and into the Contour meters. For the record, they’re actually cheaper at Walmart than they were on Amazon, if you’re in a hurry.

2 Likes

this is great to know. i am always looking for the best deal. but generally, my endo gives me meters and insulin for free (samples) so basically anything i can think up, he has in his secret closet somewhere in the back of his office. :wink:

1 Like

The Contour meters?

1 Like

@Aaron, I had to go through the manual to check. There are no available meter averages on the meter itself. Because of the small screen, i find the menus a bit difficult to navigate through when you are not using them every day.

We are also not using the app, in part because our mainstream meter is the Freedom (Omnipod PDM). But we are also reluctant to have another device on my son’s phone since the Dexcom transmitter can be so picky with the iPhone Bluetooth requirements.

Here is a link to the Contour Next One manual:

Yes, the Contour meters. I’ve attached a photo below although I’m sure the Walmart pricing is variable.

Also, the strips, meter, lancets, and lancet device I ordered from Amazon arrived packed up in one “kit” however the strips were clearly labeled “For Use by Medicare or Medicaid Beneficiaries ONLY.” It seemed really dodgy to me. My mom IS on Medicare, but they had no idea I was ordering them for her.

3 Likes

I have been a diabetic for a long time and just the other day I was watching a youtube by Dr Bernstien (84 year old Dr with type 1 since age 12) and he said something that I had never heard or been told by any Endo. He said that as your BS gets higher it takes more insulin to correct. So, if your BS is 120 and one unit lowers it 20 points, it could take two or three units to get the same 20 point move when you are higher. Don’t go by these numbers, he has a series of really informative talks on youtube that have given me info that I have not heard in my 25+ years with diabetes.

2 Likes

I have to say I’m really disappointed with the One compared to the Contour Next USB that came with my Medtronic pump. The screen isnt as nice, it feels cheaper, there is no way to see average without the app and I don’t like the lancing device as much.

I know what you mean, we purchased 4 of my son’s favorite lancing devices, the Fastclix, and we use those regardless of which meter my son is using at the moment.

1 Like

I learned this through experience, but read somewhere that when your BG is high, your cells have what they need, and are less likely to let more glucose in… they are full !! So you become somewhat insulin resistant, and need more to convince cells to take in more glucose.

Insulin is the key that “opens” the door to cell, its not a bully that pushes glucose in. And then the door is locked again, requiring more insulin keys.

Stupid question - Where do you purchase lancing devices?

My son uses the Fastclix too, but I just got it included in a “free meter with 100 strips” deal.

Edit - ok I went to Dr. Google and he found me a deal for a free FastClix! Well - i had to pay with my personal information.

(sorry - Canada only.)

https://www.accu-chek.ca/en/get-my-accu-chek-fastclix

Glucose enters cells via facilitated diffusion. The rate of glucose uptake increases as the glucose concentration in the blood increases, but only up to a point. The limiting factor is the availability of carriers (GLUT4) in the membrane. At some point, regardless of increasing blood glucose, the rate that the cells can take in glucose does not increase, because there are insufficient glucose carriers within the membrane for the rate of uptake to increase.

Sorry about the primitive illustration.

1 Like

I used Amazon. $12 isn’t even a drop in the bucket when it comes to our diabetes spend.

1 Like

Thanks @Chris

I find that our pharmacies have nothing so I will turn to Amazon next time.

I have a very low diabetes spend - pretty much the only think I buy out of pocket is glucose tablets, alcohol wipes, and skintac. So I am a bit cheap when it comes to spending on diabetes :money_mouth_face:

1 Like