It finally happened

Some of you may remember some posts i had created a year or two ago reference the loss of my contract (defense contractor) i had been working on for the past 15 years. Well, it’s finally happening. January 15th is it. We’ve spent the past few months transitioning the new team who is taking over the contract.

The good news is that i was picked up immediately for a new position with the same company. The new job comes with a promotion and quite a substantial pay raise. The down side is that i no longer have the option of teleworking… In my current role, i only go into the office twice per week. In my new role i have to be in the office 5 days per week. With a drive each way of 1.5 - 2 hours, it isn’t going to be pleasant. I have discovered; however, that there are a few people who lives down my way so there may be an opportunity to carpool, save the environment a little, and used the express Lanes for free (if 3 are in the vehicle, the express Lanes have no cost).

The new contract I’m switching too is a ten year contract with 9 years or so remaining on it… So job security is awesome.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the future but I’ll miss my team I’ve worked with for going on 2 decades now.

Cheers to you all for your new year’s commitments and goals. I’ll be spending The next decade or so getting some real world experience in an area i am certified in but have no real world experience as of yet. Putting this knowledge into actual application is going to be very exciting.

Cheers to you all for 2020!!

25 Likes

Sounds like a fabulous opportunity, and an excellent start to 2020! I hope you are eventually able to do some telecommuting. Cheers to a fantastic 2020 for all of us on FUD!

8 Likes

Facing similar career transitions in near future as well. Best of luck

9 Likes

Wish you the best of luck in the new position. The commute doesn’t sound pleasant, but having lived on the east coast for part of my life, I understand that it isn’t an unusual thing. The job security is nice though!

4 Likes

It’s not uncommon if you don’t want to live in the city. We live in the country and that has a price unfortunately.

3 Likes

8 hour days generally? I work 12s and only a handful of times have had to commute about 1 hour each way 7 days a week for 2-4 weeks at a time. At the end of that I was absolutely beat… particularly with the added burden of spending several hours / day actively managing blood sugar… I think it’d be pretty doable working 40 hours / week.

Generally I fly to work sites (ships) and work around the clock as needed for weeks at a time though and get plenty of rest

4 Likes

I know I’ve been spoiled over the past, nearly two decades. :laughing:. Definitely no complaints here. I have it really good comparatively. But I’m still not looking forward to the 95/495 daily traffic.

4 Likes

Would you consider relocating? Is it worth considering?

Either way, I’m thankful you’ve got a job for 2020! That was good news to read. :smiley:

4 Likes

…and the great news is that it sounds like you still have your health insurance.

Best wishes for your new position.

6 Likes

Yes. Once our oldest son graduates (at the end of this school year), we’ll probably move closer.

1 Like

Yes! That is always my biggest criteria. Salary and position are great but health benefits trump it all in my world.

5 Likes

@ClaudnDaye
Congrats on the new job!
I just retired from 31 years of commuting 90 miles per day 5 days a week in 2 states (my husband is a rancher and we raise cattle). I really didn’t mind it for a long time, it was a place to plan my day in the morning including sending myself phone messages about ideas, plans or important meetings etc. And at night I enjoyed the “decompression” time. I listened to books on tape, sermons, and developed a liking for new genres of music (especially contemporary Christian music). I enjoyed having the time to just think. It was later as I got older and developed anxiety about icy roads and going over the pass (higher elevation, I’m in MT) that I started to not like it as much, but the enjoyment of the"freedom" and time thinking lasted a long time. Hopefully you’ll find your enjoyment in the commute!
Best wishes!

12 Likes

If you’ve ever driven in northern va/dc traffic you’d know there is zero relaxing about it. Lol. If it were long country roads I’d be less anxious about it. But i do enjoy the quiet time that it provides since i have six very loud boys at home. Lol. Thanks! I can’t wait to be retired honestly. I’m not one of those people who has to “stay busy.”.

8 Likes

Congrats on your transition - it’s great that it went so seamlessly. And an exciting new job I hope it goes well for you.

I am on my last job - which I just started about a month ago. I didn’t feel I was quite ready for retirement and am wondering how long this one will last. I like the dynamics and rhythm of working, but I would not be able to do a long commute - I’m glad you’re thinking about moving.

Many of my friends and relatives have had work situations where they needed to be onsite but it took 3+ hours to get from home to work. They usually worked out a system where they were away during the week and had a place to stay near their worksite. I don’t know if that’s possible for you - with a big family, etc., but something to consider.

e

5 Likes

I didn’t find the joy of long travel until recently; I grew up in the UK where if you relax for a second you die, horribly similar to @ClaudnDaye’s east coast commute but worse, really, it is worse. These days I’ve found that I can drive over 200 miles (the UK is 800 miles, end to end; no one ever does that) listening to previously downloaded (no internet) eBooks.

This only works because I have, in parallel with the eBook, a CGM heading up my dashboard. Years ago I really didn’t know by blood glucose. Have you ever tried doing a fingerstick while driving, let alone ■ into a bottle and dropping a tablet therein? If I can continuously monitor my blood sugar and I’m not in a challenging driving environment I’m ok.

Yeah, I’m with you; those icy roads are seriously scary. That said, it’s one of those driving challenges that interests me. I don’t have to deal with people in ■■■■■s with blindfolds on and my brain can turn an eBook off instantly. Crater Lake is a joy to drive (highway 62 into highway 230) at this time of year and the concentration I need is not like the deadly 18 mile commute I did in my youth; these days it will be my fault.

As to the music, well, we will disagree about that until the day we are reborn :wink:

4 Likes

@jbowler
I can’t believe that within Hillsong, Phil Wickham, Chris Tomlin, Passion, Kari Jobe, Jesus Culture, Elevation Worship, Lincoln Brewster, David Crowder, or Delirious you can’t find something to like. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Pink?

Believe; I can’t find something I like. However, nothing bad comes out of listening to other people, and Delirious led to me, via a cynical thought; “no good music ever came out of Sussex”, to actually ask myself whether any good music came out of the place where I grew up:

And, right at the end of that list, are the Specials; (“The Special A.K.A.”) So I had forgotten Ska and 2 Tone, though I grew up with it in Coventry, somewhat distanced by intellectuality; the people around me were into Sabbath (formative and Ozzy is a fundamental part of my religion these days), Deep Purple and, curiously, Santana (definitely important for me now). Certainly my loss and my fault; it was there, but, in my defense, I was a 16 year old boy.

Thank you @Jan

1 Like

Any interest in Journey? ( composed of former members of [Santana] )(Santana (band) - Wikipedia)
Lincoln Brewster toured with Steve Perry during Perry’s solo career. Seems all music is interconnected. :musical_score::notes: