FUDiabetes

Is the Dexcom G6 worth the hassle for T2?

dexcom

My fingers look like raspberries lately… Been having a hard time / obsessing a lot, trying to find the right foods, exercise etc.

Would be nice to have near real time status of BG… who wouldn’t :slight_smile:

I don’t really care about cost and all, usually insurance will only cover T1 for Dexcom.

But I wonder if it’s worth the hassle for a couple of weeks, to get better around the clock assessment of those darn sugar molecules.

Thank you!

@Alex
In another post you had mentioned:

I take Humilin R (30 mins offset) and normally 10UI in the AM and 10UI before dinner and maintain 100-120 very well.

Insurance may cover a Dexcom for any person with Diabetes who is using insulin? Worth a check.

If paying cash out of pocket, I believe the cash price for a Dexcom system is $200 for the Transmitter and $100 per G6 Sensor which come in a box of three sensor for $300 per box. Prices vary.

Yes - I think it is worth the hassle.

Even if you have to pay for it, I know that in a month or so of using a CGM you will learn a lot about your diabetes. After that first month the learning slows down, but it is great to have. I consider it our #1 tool.

To expand on @Thomas 's sage advice, if you are a Costco member the transmitters are $27 each. Sensor price remain s the same, and a receiver is ~$54. No Insurance taken for the Costco deal

The Freestyle Libre may be useful if you’re not looking for alarms. Lower cost for just a few weeks.

Check GoodRX for coupons, that may reduce cost, even if your insurance covers.

@Alex. Yes, I think that a CGM is a great tool for anyone using insulin, whether T1 or T2.

VERY worth it, at least for, say, 2 months (enough to get a sense of your patterns and to cover most of your routine foods). If you track and record meticulously in that month, you can get enough information to make major improvements in your D-care even if you go back to finger sticks.

I was going to suggest this, too. You could buy a reader and single sensor and get two weeks of data (I think…or maybe in the US it’s 10 days?). Or, if you have a phone that supports the LibreLink app, you could just buy one sensor to get the same data.

Check cash prices at Costco, they tend to be lower than copay for very good private insurance.

IMO, yes for sure it’s worth it! It can be a pain and costly to get your hands on a CGM, but like others said it can help you learn your patterns and trends with your typical day and routine (food, exercise, etc.) In the end that would be worth it IMO so that you can not be so stressed about numbers and so that you can get better control and feel better on a day to day, which in the end probably helps your numbers and management and drives your overall healthcare costs down and… I could go on, but definitely worth it IMO!