Is the Dexcom G6 worth the hassle for T2?

My fingers look like raspberries lately… Been having a hard time / obsessing a lot, trying to find the right foods, exercise etc.

Would be nice to have near real time status of BG… who wouldn’t :slight_smile:

I don’t really care about cost and all, usually insurance will only cover T1 for Dexcom.

But I wonder if it’s worth the hassle for a couple of weeks, to get better around the clock assessment of those darn sugar molecules.

Thank you!

1 Like

@Alex
In another post you had mentioned:

I take Humilin R (30 mins offset) and normally 10UI in the AM and 10UI before dinner and maintain 100-120 very well.

Insurance may cover a Dexcom for any person with Diabetes who is using insulin? Worth a check.

If paying cash out of pocket, I believe the cash price for a Dexcom system is $200 for the Transmitter and $100 per G6 Sensor which come in a box of three sensor for $300 per box. Prices vary.

Yes - I think it is worth the hassle.

1 Like

Even if you have to pay for it, I know that in a month or so of using a CGM you will learn a lot about your diabetes. After that first month the learning slows down, but it is great to have. I consider it our #1 tool.

4 Likes

To expand on @Thomas 's sage advice, if you are a Costco member the transmitters are $27 each. Sensor price remain s the same, and a receiver is ~$54. No Insurance taken for the Costco deal

1 Like

The Freestyle Libre may be useful if you’re not looking for alarms. Lower cost for just a few weeks.

Check GoodRX for coupons, that may reduce cost, even if your insurance covers.

1 Like

@Alex. Yes, I think that a CGM is a great tool for anyone using insulin, whether T1 or T2.

1 Like

VERY worth it, at least for, say, 2 months (enough to get a sense of your patterns and to cover most of your routine foods). If you track and record meticulously in that month, you can get enough information to make major improvements in your D-care even if you go back to finger sticks.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest this, too. You could buy a reader and single sensor and get two weeks of data (I think…or maybe in the US it’s 10 days?). Or, if you have a phone that supports the LibreLink app, you could just buy one sensor to get the same data.

2 Likes

Check cash prices at Costco, they tend to be lower than copay for very good private insurance.

1 Like

IMO, yes for sure it’s worth it! It can be a pain and costly to get your hands on a CGM, but like others said it can help you learn your patterns and trends with your typical day and routine (food, exercise, etc.) In the end that would be worth it IMO so that you can not be so stressed about numbers and so that you can get better control and feel better on a day to day, which in the end probably helps your numbers and management and drives your overall healthcare costs down and… I could go on, but definitely worth it IMO!

1 Like

DEFINITELY worth it! G6 doesn’t require ANY calibrations. Haven’t stuck my finger in weeks, maybe months.

FYI, the costco cash price was an instant rebate that has now ENDED sadly. Unsure when.

I believe if you call them, you can get a cash price discount if you don’t have coverage.

1 Like

Absolutely worth it. It took a month of back and forth paperwork between my doctor, insurance, and the medical supply company, but now that I have it, I have a much easier time monitoring my blood sugar. My package came with two transmitters, a 6 month supply of sensors, and two handy little receivers.

Buyer beware though, if you intend to setup the Dexcom app on your phone, be advised that Dexcom DOES NOT SUPPORT all phones. Check their device compatibility list on their site first My OnePlus6T on Android 9 is not supported.
Fortunately, the amazing devs at xdrip have been able to make xdrip work with my Dexcom G6 so I finally have real time monitoring on my phone and on my watch. I now have the tools to be on constant watch of my blood sugar levels and can adjust my habits accordingly. From eating a banana to bump it up, or something simple like getting up and walking to lower it… The CGM monitor will change your life. Go for it!!!

1 Like

A couple of weeks will quickly turn into a lifetime once you start getting those real time numbers without having to finger stick. I will never go back to finger sticks. When I go to the doctor, first thing I do is show them my numbers. With Dexcom, you can get what they call Clarity reports and even send them to your doctor if supported.

1 Like

I’m insulin dependent T2 and had the G5 and upgraded to the G6 once available. It is totally AMAZING and I absolutely LOVE it. The biggest plus is the no finger sticks for calibration. You CAN add finger sticks if you want to, but don’t have to. I use a Galaxy S10+ and Xdrip+ which I find was very easy to install and use. I also use nightscout so I can have my numbers, arrow and trend graph in a separate tab on Chrome at all times. If you want to see it in action, visit http://bradsxdrip.herokuapp.com/ .

1 Like

@bpollina the NightScout /heroku app site is super convenient and easy to setup. I gave my Care team mine so they can run reports whenever. My Endo now prefers it to Clarity.

1 Like

Wish mine would. They claim it is not HIPA compliant and therefore they can’t use it. They said I could always print out reports, though, and bring them in.

2 Likes

Sounds like your doctors office is, like many, confused about HIPAA. One of the main points is giving control of how and what information is exchanged back to the PATIENT. I had the same initial response from the clinic. A short sweet discussion, and of course a suggestion that we could have DHHS review the clinic policies, brought the clinic’s privacy officer
around to remembering that as a PATIENT, I can share information with ANYONE I CHOOSE. Therefore, if I chose a specific app, and accepted the privacy risks, the clinic was free to use it for my data.

2 Likes

I like the way you reason with the privacy officers out there!

Welcome to our community, I hope you become a regular contributor.