Intestinal bacteria may protect against Type 2 diabetes

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170411090159.htm

In this study in Finland, a higher proportion of people with impaired glucose tolerance who do not develop T2 diabetes carry a higher amount of indolepropionic acid.

“Indolepropionic acid is a metabolite produced by intestinal bacteria, and its production is boosted by a fibre-rich diet.”

2 Likes

There are actually more than a dozen studies now tying a high-fiber diet with lower incidence of T2, lower gut inflammation, and a host of other beneficial effects.

3 Likes

We are what we eat. So true.

Every now and then, a Whopper (or fill in the blank with your favorite “processed” food) tastes SOOO…good and hits the spot🙂. Then afterwards, I experience the headache from the HF corn syrup in the ketchup and likely the bread. The Whopper, or Whopper Junior was always one fof my favorite foods. I never made the connection about my food sensitivity to corn and the headache until I went to see a holistic doctor. He explained that I had several food sensitivities: corn, wheat, chocolate (well, I definitely cannot do without chocolate; it’s more like I don’t want to do without chocolate). He said that I didn’t have a full blown allergy to corn. However, eating something, or a meal containing several or many food sensitive ingredients could result in the body feeling terrible.

2 Likes

Apparently carob tastes pretty similar to chocolate.

But I know what you mean. It’s difficult for me to find brands of stevia that are safe for me with my food allergies. The one safe brand I’ve been using has inulin in it, which is fibre. It causes digestive issues, but I’ve tried to give up stevia completely, and decided that the minor digestive issues are worth it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember carob! For some reason, I haven’t had it in some time. Perhaps it’s not as readily available or ubiquitous as chocolate?

1 Like

Usually your local food co-op would have things like carob, maybe even in bulk. That’s where mine was sourced from when my mother thought I was allergic in childhood. I like that flavor. It’s been a while since I’ve thought about it.

2 Likes

Growing up I had a brother who was allergic to a wide array of stuff and we ended up eating carob instead of chocolate. While it tastes “similarish” I wouldn’t go out of my way to find it unless they have made incredible strides in making it taste better.

2 Likes

There is a product called Teechino. I seem to recall carob, possibly as one of the ingredients. My daughter loved Teechino with milk and a little sugar. My son disliked it. Go figure. I always had to remember, oh yeah, one of my children likes x, while the other hates it.

1 Like

yup. To me, carob is the taste of peak “health-food craze” California in the 1980s.

2 Likes