Insurance rant

This year I was in a bike race and broke my collarbone. The surgeon assured me I would heal with or without surgery but urged me to get surgery because the healing process would be faster and I wouldn’t have a bump on my shoulder. Pre approval process was seamless and for the general anesthetic, outpatient procedure I paid nothing. I’m doing the PT now that I would have to do either way and I pay 20% on each visit ($15 or so).

Compare this to diabetic supplies which, like everyone from the US on here, I pay my fair share of. I generally figure it works out to at least ~5k for me a year between copays, premiums, visits, etc. The incentives are absurd! Insurance should want to reconsider risky activities and choose the more cost effective treatment option for an injury, but theres zero conversation of cost when making the decision on surgery. Yet nothing I can do will change how much I need in pumps or insulin, but I pay tons of money with little rhyme or reason.

Thats to say nothing of end of life care, which is often an order of magnitude more expensive.

2 Likes

Healing faster, but isn’t the bump a badge of a serious cyclist? :crazy_face::clown_face:

1 Like

You have very succinctly pointed out the ridiculous hypocrisy in our current medical system. Why should you have to bear a car payment every month just to live. It is frustrating.

1 Like

Haha yeah the bump didn’t bother me as much as the extra month of not using my right arm.

2 Likes

I know, being laid up longer is no fun - just joshing with you.in my cycling group several have had shoulder, clavicle, elbow, dog bites, cars running over us and other injuries. Despite this we still ride. What does that say about our sanity?

1 Like

You are now treating yourself like an NFL player. Fracture, no problem, plate it and get back to work.

1 Like

:rofl: I’m definitely an athletic specimen, thats why they wanted to spend the extra money to get me back to fighting shape ASAP

2 Likes