Insurance for kids with pre-existing condition (CWDs)

Some states have state paid medical insurance available with no income limits for children with particular conditions. If your state allows this, you may want to consider picking it up for your son. The insurance would be in his name however it would be secondary to your insurance which would remain primary. In the unlikely event that you lost your insurance, his would immediately and automatically switch to primary. If your state has this, it would be a good backup plan that may help to alleviate this particular concern.

2 Likes

This is such a valuable tip I gave it its own thread (moved from Insulin containers/ storage in the fridge).

Are you aware of particular states that offer state paid coverage for children specifically with diabetes? My son qualifies for Medicaid despite my income due to other disabilities, but I wasn’t aware that it might cover diabetes in some instances.

I would definitely pick up something like this if Virginia offered it but I don’t think they do. Can’t find anything on it if they do. Maybe we should move to one of those States! lol

This interesting link has some information on diabetes-related state legislation between 2007 and 2017:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/diabetes-health-coverage-state-laws-and-programs.aspx

I have not found the specific info @Thomas as talking about yet, but I’ll be looking over the next few days.

I have no specific information about either Alaska or Virginia.

This particular program is controversial due to no regards for the family income. Like any social benefits program there will always be abuse. However that does not mean that a portion of the funding is not finding its way to actually providing quality medical care for the intended children. One could optimistically hope that the majority of the funding is being properly used.

A social worker employed at a Children’s Hospital in your particular state would probably be the best one to inquire as to specifics in your state. A state sponsored program may be tied to Federal programs and could require a determination from SSI that your child does not qualify for Federal benefits due to family income limits without a corresponding denial due to the particular medical condition not being a covered condition.

If a particular parent has vigorous objections to certain labels or wording that may be used in conjunction with their child then a state sponsored program may not be the best fit. Similarly if a parent has objections over providing excessive personal, financial or medical information to the State or Federal government than such a program may not be a good fit.

2 Likes