FUDiabetes

Infusion Set Cannula Length

Some extremely smart person on this forum must know how to select the best cannula length. Sets come in 6mm, 9mm, 13mm, 17 mm, etc. Why would a person prefer a shorter vs longer cannula length?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

1 Like

Need to also consider if set is 90 degree (straight in) or inserted at an angle. I use the shorter 6mm with straight in 90 degree (quick set). An angled 13-17mm can be 30-90 degree insertion, mostly used as shallow/low angle) for those that use them.

2 Likes

Same. 90 degree 6 mm.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies @MM2 and @Thomas! I have been using 90° sets with a 6mm cannula too, in addition to 30° 13mm sets. What advantage if any would there be to a 9mm cannula on a 90° set and a 17mm cannula on a 30° set? I am attempting to ascertain if I am using the correct length cannulas.

These would help in areas with thicker skin or fatty areas. The 30 can be angled upon insertion to be deep or shallow. I think @daisymae mentioned using them because 6mm straight in was too deep/painful. She may be using 20-25 degree angle.

Many years ago, before quicksets, I used the angled sets, but so happy when they come out with quick-sets.

Tried the steel sets, but did not like at all.

3 Likes

that’s exactly why and how I do it. 20/25 degree angle, barely under the skin. I got no fat in my tummy.

1 Like

If your 6mm sets seem to have inconsistent absorption/insulin action, the 9 mm can be option to see if it improves. You should be able to get samples from endo or pump company.

2 Likes

@MM2 , @daisymae and @Thomas, I very much appreciate your help. I have an Endo appt next week with a new Endo. I hoping she won’t think I’m a complete idiot for asking about longer cannulas. Depending on location, I do have absorption issues.

Thanks again for all the help!

1 Like

I use the 6mm @elver because I have a relatively low BMI. The 9mm used to work fine, but that was 40 lbs ago

2 Likes