ILet Bionic Pancreas study released

7 Likes

Thanks @CatLady. Interesting results. They don’t provide very many details on the bionic pancreas itself, such as whether users DO have the ability to enter carbs in order to maintain a tighter control. A1c of 7.3 is good but those with tight control will want to tweak it to get a more normal range A1c.

4 Likes

My husband downloaded the paper for me and the answer to your question is no. In fact, the system doesn’t use any of a user’s current insulin settings and mealtime info is based on meal size: usual, less, or more. The system is supposed to learn the user’s insulin needs but like some people have found with other hybrid loop pumps it is very slow to respond to hyperglycemia (in the absence of infusion set issues). Secondary outcomes showed modest improvements in time in range and mean glucose level. The control group consisted of people on any other insulin protocol and all participants used Dex G6s.

5 Likes

Thanks, @CatLady! It sounds like it is similar to the new Omnipod 5 with its focus on “learning” the user’s insulin needs. I wonder when it will finally be released to the public. I’m using DIY Loop on iOS and use the auto bolus, so it does react more quickly than perhaps other algorithms. Of course, I still have my ups and downs but those are mostly due to faulty device (CGM, pump), or my own failures, like ignoring a low trend, over correcting, etc. I guess the “learning” could perhaps help with those failures! But tradeoff could be not being able to target tight control. In any case, it is good to have another option!

4 Likes

Sounds like another black box approach that hides the methodology from the docs and users with no ability to influence the real needs. For everyone’s comments on YDMV etc., it seems big pharma is doing it’s best to ignore the maxim and it seems FDA is playing along with it or has no choice but to let them because legislature just doesn’t understand the needs of T1s.

3 Likes

I think the ultimate intention is to reduce the stress of D management for PWDs who have higher A1cs and experience less time in the 70-180 range.

3 Likes