How to get free diluent from Lilly

That’s the one!

Is this really necessary? At least in my mind, I would think that pushing liquid in, would naturally push the air (gas) out. Both can’t occupy the same space. Or am I just thinking about it wrong?

The air can’t get out since the vial is closed. You can get some insulin or diluent into an empty vial, but if you put enough liquid into the vial, it becomes pressurized.

2 Likes

Having done a bunch of liquid exchanges in vials, you could always put another needle through the septum while you are filling, then the air would leave through the second open needle. Probably not the most sterile technique, but it is efficient.

5 Likes

Have folks tried this recently? I tried requesting the diluent as suggested at the beginning of the thread, and got a response that it needed to be requested by a pharmacist or physician…

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have not done it recently. When I did it before though, they did not say it needed to be requested by a physician or pharmacist, but only that it needed to be sent to the physician or pharmacist.

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD @diabeteez! It is members like you contributing that make this such an amazing place.

1 Like

I know this is an older thread - but for anyone wanting Diluent from Lilly- the policy has changed and the request must come from a pharmacist or doctor.

2 Likes

Hi! Is there any other possibility to get diluent? Ive asked pharmacy but they dont want to do it.

2 Likes

Lilly Pharmaceuticals will also send it to your doctor. You can ask him/her if they will do that.

The doctor just sends the script to Lilly and puts their office address on the form.

1 Like

We use regular insulin for protein. And its not that was prescribed by our doctor. We used to use the same diluent that we got for dilution Humalog but as we will switch to the pump, we won’t be able to ask for it.
Any suggestions how to get it?
Thank you very much in advance,
Julia

1 Like

I don’t quite understand the scenario. If you are switching to a pump, why are you still needing to dilute?

I need ro dilute regular insulin

I will still use r for covering protein

So you use R insulin to cover protein because it is slower than NovoLog or Humalog?

You can do the same thing with a pump. Just add a temporary basal or use an extended bolus.

With temporary basal, you can add whatever insulin amount you need over 1, 2, 4, or 8 hours. Or whatever time you want. You can increase the basal rate to cover any amount over any time-frame.

Or instead of a temporary basal, you can use the extended bolus feature of the pump to do the same thing.

Either of those methods would let you pick the amount and the time-frame.

3 Likes