How to get an Afrezza sample?

Sam,

At my Endo appointment today, my doc said she doesn’t have access to Afreeza samples but mentioned there may be a way to get a sample from Mankind. Have you heard of this?

She did give me an Rx for it but I want to try it first before battling with my insurance. I don’t think they cover it.

1 Like

Might be able to contact Freedom@mannkindcorp.com and ask them to send your doctors office a sample… Can always just submit your script and see what happens too

2 Likes

I can send you some if you want it.

2 Likes

@Sam, @Eric, thanks for the input. I submitted the script and Voila!

And to my complete surprise and joy for $0 co-pay (my Endo said my insurance didn’t have in their formulary. :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Nice! Congrats!

1 Like

Please feel free to ask any questions you have… I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned in a new public thread with you on the subject

1 Like

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I tried it for the first time tonight but wasn’t positive that I inhaled all of it?

Please start a new thread in the afrezza category and tell me all about it and we’ll go from there

@Millz, do you mean you submitted it to Mannkind or to the pharmacy? I am surprised about the pharmacy working it through with $0 copay if it isn’t on the formulary :slight_smile:

I went through my local pharmacy.

2 Likes

That’s not been an uncommon phenomenon… people have logged onto the inter web and seen others talking about insurance challenges and thought “that sucks I don’t need that headache” and talked themselves out of trying something new and revolutionary. I forgot my meter today and spent all day wandering around a Spring Break beach destination eating junk food and drinking a totally unreasonable amount of booze. When I got home my BG was 81. Maybe a little luck involved there but I certainly couldn’t have done it without afrezza.

So what are your initial impressions? I’d love to hear from step one how its been going and if you’re having any troubles maybe we can troubleshoot…

1 Like

Congrats on getting Afrezza!!!

As @Sam mentioned ask away. I absolutely love the stuff.

1 Like

Thank you all for the support. I really like it! Thoughts so far:

• It’s FAST (still working out when to take it as a meal bolus)
  • Noticed it’s tail was too short for some LCHF meals (with protein).
    @Sam and @mikep, thanks for the info you both shared, I knew this was likely to happen so I’ve been experimenting. Had dinner tonight at a great Indian
    restaurant and noticed my BG stayed pretty flat then started to spike an hour afterwards…so just took another 4u dose.
  • I seem to have less of an appetite when using it (never a bad thing :smile:)

It’s a keeper for me.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve learned that the follow up puffs are really good/necessary sometimes. If I see my CGM trending over 130 about an hour after using it I will take another 4u puff.

2 Likes

On the Mannkind site there is a link for professionals and buried in that is a way for them to request samples. I am going to do a screenshot of the page for my HCP (they don’t have email–so backward).

4 Likes

I tend to do afrezza and novolog at the same time so I don’t have to do follow ups. Creates a pretty smooth curve.

3 Likes

Exactly!
I was gonna say the same thing before I saw you posted it. I do something similar except it’s not Afrezza.

1 Like

I do this as well with some foods. Excellent results.

1 Like