How often do you see your endocrinologist?

I’ve never challenged my endo’s timeline, but I don’t get the feeling she’s push back if I asked for 6 months. Do you think your endo still has you on the short leash because you’ve only recently started “demonstrating” good control??

Wow, I’m as bad as they are. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I definitely think that. He basically told me that to my face at my appointment in November lol

It’s going to be interesting to see how things play out at my next appointment though (in April), at some point we’re going to have a chat about the fact that I’m graduating in June, spending summer in Boston, and have no idea where I’ll be after September so I’m going to need a longer term insulin script aaaaand I’m probably not ever gonna be back to see him after June, if he schedules one then, which I imagine he will want to

3 Likes

I hope you find a great endo at your next stop, and I hope this guy makes getting that long term prescription easy. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

@Eric , if I am on a 2 or 3 month schedule, my endo will write rx’s for 6-9 months out. If I am on a 6 month cycle, she writes for a year. There are times I actually want to go see my endo in 3 months, especially if like @Nickyghaleb I want to know if I have made progress on my A1c, or need a medication adjustment, or if something just flatout isn’t working. I’m all for problem solving on my own and with crowdsourced help, but there are times I actually value my endo’s opinion. Add to that, my endo is the one individual on my care team that I absolutely know beyond a doubt that doesn’t have the “here’s my next 8 minute science experiment to deal with” attitude. My endo is my biggest cheerleader after my spouse and is greatly responsible for pulling me back from the void.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of warmth in that. How nice, @elver. :blush: How long have you been with this endo??

1 Like

That, in my opinion, is totally out of line.

Like @Eric, we get yearly scripts and we would never accept anything else.

[EDIT] Just read your next comment about bad control and mulling it over. I am not quite sure how I think about it. Is it good to have an endo force you to come by withdrawing script when your control is bad?

2 Likes

I have been with my Endo for almost 4 years now. Prior to that I was either uninsured, or continually in the process of being fired by my pcp for non-compliance. My A1cs were never lower than 9, and normal was 12 to 14. To be quite honest, between being paralyzed by fear of another serious hypo and low self esteem, I just didn’t care.

Now… I care. I want to be sub 7 A1c. I have tools and strategies. I have support (that I most likely always had but failed to recognize) and am focusing on living a fulfilling meaningful life without limitations. I’m a willing participant in my Care. This is starting to sound like a soap opera…

My Endo rocks!

8 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Broad response to different comments: how much I cooperate w my endo’s office’s “wants” is directly proportional to how much they cooperate with mine. It’s easier to get prescription changes and renewals between visits if I’m sticking to their desired frequency of visits. It’s worth it for that reason for me.

4 Likes

We have much in common, and I’m glad we’re both on this side of it. I worry sometimes whether or not this is sustainable— whether or not I could ever be back in that category again where I don’t care/don’t want to know. Part of me is afraid of that, but part of me says no way. I also have tools and strategies. I didn’t then.

4 Likes

I understand this very well. I try to focus on the now and the near future. What’s done is done. For me FUD has been solid reinforcement in an arduous journey. I’ve read tons of blogs and websites, and now I read mostly one. I’m happy to be here now.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, @elver. :heart:

1 Like

I go every 6 months and to be honest they probably be fine if I came in less. But personally
I want to check in at least every 6 months because it makes getting the things I want (pump, cgm, prescriptions) much less of a hassle. Within reason, they will pretty much do whatever I ask.

2 Likes

Liam gets his drawn every 3 months. :stuck_out_tongue:

…and I want it drawn so that I can see if I’ve improved, or slipped, in my management over the past 90 days so that we have goals for the next 90 days.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I do that dance too.

3 Likes

I believe some of the frequent visits, especially with pump patients, is insurance requirements for documentation, proving medical necessity and adherence/confirm effectiveness of our expensive tools.

1 Like

Wait, how silly is it to have to beg for refills and basing a return schedule on that number. Who is working for who?

I personally see my endo every six months. If I ask, he’ll refill my Rx’s for a year. But out of habit I think he writes for six months.

Six months or a year, I really don’t care. If I’m out of something, there’s an app for that, and it’s ready the next day.

It is not a parent/child relationship. We are equals in my diabetic care, and I pay the bill.

This is not some private office yahoo. This is a well respected university endo practice, headed by Ralph DeFronzo.

6 Likes

:heart:

:+1:

:fist:

I try to be like you when I go in. You own your visits, and, for me, that’s an inspiration. I still buckle a little, but I’m getting better with each try. :grin:

4 Likes

In my opinion, no. All the endo appointments in the world aren’t going to make you try harder on your diabetes management if you don’t want to.

5 Likes

I’m the same. So much so, that I’ve stopped making an appt until my prescriptions are no longer renewed! Then I’m forced to go in to get my prescription renewed, but that is the only reason as the endo clinic I go to does NOT do ANY blood work/testing, just does an in-office a1C test. I go separately to an internist at another hospital who does all of the blood work and other tests in an annual, physical exam. I have to send THOSE results to the endo and hopefully she’ll review them before I see her!