FUDiabetes

What to expect from 1st endo appt

Relatively new to diabetes (I am insulin-dependent) and tomorrow I got off the waitlist to see my endocrinologist for the first time ever! I’ve spoken to him a couple of times over the past year but all via video visit due to the pandemic, and I’m oddly anxious. Any idea what to expect for a first-time/new/routine endocrinology visit? Is it just an in-person discussion, or do they do a body checkup or anything? Should I expect to be weighed in person? Would love some thoughts from the peanut gallery based on your experience.

Also, not sure if I tagged this properly, so mods, if this should be tagged differently, please let me know!

3 Likes

I was getting diabetes care from my primary care dr for 15 years before seing the endo just a few months ago, he read my chart, they weigh and check bp, read your cgm data (or log if you dont have a cgm) and take an a1c test, and then a chat, and maybe an insulin adjustment…painless so not to worry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Make sure you write down all your questions and concerns before you go, including RX refills needed. When I don’t do that, I always forget something! :interrobang:

7 Likes

At my son’s last endo they also did a quick scan of injection/pump sites if there is anything to see and did a fingerstick A1c, or a blood draw to get the A1c.

1 Like

They check weight, height, BP, take a finger stick for an A1C test and then it’s just time to talk to the Endo to review charts, ask questions, get recommendations, discuss prescriptions, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, most definitely would forget stuff knowing me! :wink:

1 Like

Don’t expect anything. For certain aim for an in-person discussion; an endo in SF or in Houston should be able to do that. Ignore the routine; whatever they want to check/weigh/measure won’t affect what a good doctor does, which is to talk to her patient/client/employer.

You will certainly know.

2 Likes

As you’ve already had telemed visits, you may already have covered the basic questions/concerns. Not sure who/how you were prescribed insulin (possibly PCP?). I heartily endorse @CatLady and others recommendation to write down questions/concerns you may have…too easy to forget things you intended to cover. Don’t recall you’re previous comments on what you’re taking, on/not on pump/MDI/CGM, etc., examples could include: Is CGM recommended, if so, which and why? Review of current basal/bolus, ICR, ISF, GMI, charts you may have. Is current insulin still valid/dosage or is something else warranted and why? Is CDE/nutritionist recommended or is one on staff with Dr? Does Doc have an NP on staff you can see in addition/in place of doc? Is pump a recommendation, which and why versus other systems? Are you interested in participating in clinical studies? Are you a candidate for any? Does Dr recommend any?

I’m an admitted nerd, and I find the what, why and options important toward informed consent, vice just accepting the docs decisions. You may already have covered this and it depends on any relationship/trust you have established, but you have a right to be in the drivers seat, research and advocate for yourself; does the doc agree and act that way or do you need a different doc/practice?

5 Likes

Thank you, it’s like you read my mind! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thanks! Was especially curious about whether they would do this, but I just got back and they did not go through injection/pump sites at all. I suppose it must vary by doctor…

1 Like

This was pretty much 100% what they did! So thank you for the heads-up :smiley:

2 Likes

These are all REALLY good and useful questions; thank you. I definitely kept them in mind going into today’s appointment.

1 Like

Sorry I missed the “tomorrow” you mentioned and wrote away, glad it seemed useful. Here’s hoping all went well and you had a good experience with a good doc!

1 Like