How Long Does a G5 Transmitter REALLY Last? **UPDATE-Transmitter Died** UPDATE-New Transmitter ***UPDATE-2nd Transmitter 😭

I have not taken apart one of these sensors, but I am pretty sure that the battery drains in the box faster than you think because the Bluetooth is active in the box. The only difference to between in box and out of box is having a sensor connected which may or may not impact the power used.

Dexcom Canada says - “Your transmitter is covered under a limited warranty for three months, starting from the shipment date.” which says to me, they do not want these things sitting unused in a box.

Here is an update on my G5 transmitter use with xdrip:

First Transmitter lasted 199 days (~6.6 months)
Second Transmitter lasted ~60 days (2 months)
Third Transmitter - 29 days and counting

In Canada, you can only buy one transmitter at a time, so I do not have the 2 transmitter problem @docslotnick was describing; BUT…

I bought the transmitter 2 about 3 months after I bought the transmitter 1 because I wanted to have a spare in the event that transmitter 1 only lasted the advertised 3 months. So the second transmitter sat in a cupboard for about 4 months doing nothing useful. It only lasted 2 months in service, which is a month short of expected life. So I had the thing for 6 months total - 4 months collecting dust in the cupboard and 2 months of useful work.

If you look at this another way, both transmitter 1 and transmitter 2 worked for about 6 months after shipment.

I ordered transmitter 3 just after transmitter 1 died, so it was only sitting around for less than 2 months before I started to use it. It has been in service for about a month. So we are nearing the 3 month warranty period after shipment.

I want to order a new transmitter (no 4) now because I like to have a spare. The Dexcom website says my transmitter is still in warranty so I can’t re-order. If I count the time between when I ordered the last transmitter and when I am allowed to re-order it is about 82 days. Which is basically means I am only allowed to order a new sensor about a week before the previous one will be out of warranty.

Some pictures for those that like them…

First Transmitter - Just before Death

Second Tranmitter - Just before Sudden Death **

1 Like