How do you treat a low at night?

By the way, I find liquid pure dextrose to be the fastest way to bring up a bad low. I had a low of 2.3 mmol/L or 41 mg/dl at work today, which usually isn’t too bad, but my vision was starting to go all wonky and I was in the middle of a meeting. I excused myself and used a Dex4 liquid glucose shot to ingest 15 grams of carbs essentially instantly. The carbs didn’t kick in instantly, but it was certainly a much faster turnaround than chewing four glucose tablets! (After I had that bad low downtown several months ago where I thought I’d pass out, and another one a few weeks ago where I nearly collapsed while getting off the bus, I decided to keep a liquid glucose shot on hand for occasions when my vision starts to go wonky, because that means I’m pretty close to things getting much worse.)

These glucose shots are kind of expensive (something like $4 each), so I’ve decided to keep the bottle and buy pure powdered dextrose and dissolve the desired amount in some water (possibly with some Kool-Aid flavour added). I think this will be substantially cheaper.

4 Likes