How Do You Celebrate The Holidays?

I am not Jewish but I love the latkes and bolus away for them!

2 Likes

i love them so much, but i am very finicky. i like them the way that my grandmother use to make them and unfortunately we lost her recipe years ago.

(of course, i am not really all that finicky; my mother-in-law does a pretty good latke, and i have no problem stuffing my mouth with them :wink: )

2 Likes

Totally tried your tradition of ordering chinese food on Monday. Iā€™ve had such a hard time finding good Chinese in my area, and so I tried a new place a little further away (special occasion = worth extra delivery charge). The dumplings were amazing!!! It was by far the best hot & sour soup Iā€™ve had since I came to DC. The place even tucked a beautiful holiday card into the bag.

This may be my new favorite tradition!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Katers,
I noticed your new profile pic. Linzi Lynn! Nice!

1 Like

just curious: what was your soup portion size and how much did you bolus for it? i lovehot and sour soup and dont think ive had it in years and years. would love to have it again but have no idea where to begin. chinese is always a hit and miss guess for me.

Color me impressed!! I recently bought a canvas print of this painting for my apartment, and Iā€™m in love with it. Iā€™m looking for another piece to put in my living room area. Given that youā€™re apparently a connoisseur of art, any recommendations??

2 Likes

I ate it with a bunch of dumplings so I just estimated and did the ā€œeric-double-bolusā€ trick, and it all worked out pretty well. If I were to go back and eat the soup alone, Iā€™d guess that it probably had 15-20 carbs.

You should definitely have it again though! Hot & sour soup is definitely not high carb.

Donā€™t miss out on the things you love! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

but doesnt it have a lot of sugar in the soup part?

Hereā€™s a recipe that looks a little similar to what I ate (I donā€™t think there was pork in mine though). The corn starch and pinch of sugar look like theyā€™d have the most carbs. A quick google search says that a 1/4 cup of corn starch has about 29 carbs. However, this is a recipe for 4 servings (who knows how much per servingā€¦ Iā€™m going to guess 2 cups based on the amount of chicken stock), but if we split it 4 ways weā€™re only looking at about 8 carbs per serving for the corn starch. Everything else together probably adds a few more carbs, and Iā€™d guess weā€™re looking at around 15 carbs for 1 serving of this recipe. Iā€™d probably dose for 20 because Iā€™m sure ingredients vary from restaurant to restaurant.

A lot of guesswork in there I suppose, but itā€™s probably not too far off :slight_smile:

3 Likes

how large is the portion size? 1C or a bowl?

The recipe calls for 8 cups of chicken stock, so Iā€™d guess around 2 cups/serving because Iā€™m sure some of the water will have evaporated while cooking.

2 Likes

Art is such a personal thing, so some of the pieces I like would probably not go well in your living room. :grinning:

Art doesnā€™t have to be always be pretty. With that in mind, check out Adebanji Alade. Particularly some of his portraits.

Not happy shiny beautiful people, but tired and weathered by life. The struggle you see in their faces is inspiring, as it represents their unremitting desire to press on.

On the opposite end, the same artist has some beautiful landscapes. Contrast what this woman is thinking about and feeling compared to the portrait above.

Same guy did them both, which I think is impressive.

3 Likes

He definitely has some beautiful paintings. Thereā€™s a lot of emotional depth in the portrait you posted. While art doesnā€™t have to be pretty, I do need inspiring things on my wall (especially since there are so few of them). I really like the piece of his below.

Thanks for sharing :smile:

4 Likes

Definitely let us see what you decide to get!

2 Likes

thats what weā€™re all about here at FuD :sunny:

4 Likes

I donā€™t do special things to celebrate New Yearā€™s eve. I may eat some oliebollen (~Dutch fried donuts, picture), but thatā€™s it. I can tell a little bit about Dutch traditions, however. Many people in the Netherlands light fireworks to celebrate New Yearā€™s eve, which is nice - you donā€™t have to go anywhere to watch fireworks, you can watch it in your own street. On the other hand, itā€™s not without risk of course. Every year ophthalmologists dread this evening because of the number of injured eyes they have to treat. Lighting and selling fireworks is not legal all year round; selling fireworks is allowed during the last three days of December and only between 6pm today and 2am tomorrow it is allowed to light fireworks.
In the countryside thereā€™s also the tradition of ā€˜carbide shootingā€™. Some calcium carbide and water are put in a milk churn, a soccer ball or a lid is then used to close milk churn and after a little waiting the acetylene gas that has formed is lit through a small hole in the churn. The explosion then launches the lid or the ball.

Although some prefer bigger explosions :grin: :
2 Likes