Help finding a vaccine in the U.S

This site was extremely helpful. Rather than you having to go through all the different sites for the different pharmacies, this kind of pulls them together for you and lets you search by location.

Check it out, and good luck! :+1:

7 Likes

Another good site for details by state

3 Likes

I have first moderna shot scheduled in alaska where I’m working on Monday.

My main concern is the potential complexity of getting the second one elsewhere… seems like a lot of places are only scheduling first doses and then your second if you got the first there… and a hodge lodge of different vaccine availability everywhere I look

Seems like Kroger’s online scheduling tool is the best bet for scheduling specific vaccine second doses regardless of location that I’ve found… then it will just be a matter of watching it like a hawk for availability somewhere I can get to

5 Likes

I had my first at Kroger, and 2nd one scheduled for end of march. (Moderna).

2 Likes

Yeah they’re the only one I’ve found that lets you schedule a second dose of a specific vaccine unless you started with them… I’m sure others do it too but it’s not as simple to schedule with their online portals

2 Likes

@Sam I’d expect a call to the local health department would resolve it as long as you had the card they give you. My understanding is all the cards (simple data) are put into a CDC database that can be checked by anyone in the business of giving shots. Like everything else, there’s probably a lot of variability around the country and you need to get the same “model” of vaccine you got the first time (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J).

1 Like

Many places have you schedule the second shot when you get your first one, not before. That said, there’s no problem if your second one is delayed; you just don’t want it too early.

1 Like

When I showed up for my first dose on Monday, they scheduled my second one on site. Hopefully that will be an option for you.

Separately, my sense is as long as you have the card to present, the shot is the same dose. So, in theory, if you schedule for moderna elsewhere as a first dose (even if this will be your second), it’s all the same to them.

1 Like

That’s how it seems generally set up to work, but working in one state for weeks at a time (on moving ships generally) and living in another complicates that quite a bit

A lot of the scheduling tools online will only allow you to schedule “first dose” and then presumably after you complete that at a place it allows you to schedule the second…

2 Likes

Yes, that makes perfect sense and adds to the stress of it all. I’m just hoping it means that you can receive your second dose locally by signing up for your first (maybe?) It’s all really awful, and WA makes it SO MUCH WORSE.

They’ve been policing any volunteer sites that pop up trying to help people locate available appts. It’s terrible. I’ve seen data on the NYT that suggests it’s one of the 6 worst states for obtaining vaccines.

Really hoping you can schedule your second dose easily once you are there for your first. Keep us posted!

1 Like

We’ll see what unfolds, I’m getting the first one in alaska… I’ll have more opportunities to get them in alaska again but not without potentially significant disruption… Eg last minute flight changes and hotel stays etc etc… would be a shame to get myself covid in an attempt to get the vaccine

2 Likes

This is awful. I’m sorry. And hoping for you.

Also, really really hoping a month will make a difference in local availability for you so that you can schedule a “first” appointment, which will really be your second nearby and avoid all the exposure by having to travel to AK.

2 Likes

We’ll figure it out

1 Like

First moderna shot down. Other than priapism no side effects.

3 Likes

I have an Apr 6th appointment :mask:

My wife was out of commission for about 3 days (flu symptoms) after her first, so hopefully I’ll have better luck.

1 Like

That video I posted the other day made it sound like they’re researching whether people who have large immune response to the first vaccine may indicate they already had some antibody positivity… hence their first vaccine triggered the immune response that others’ second does because their immune system had been primed naturally

3 Likes

Interesting. My sister who works for Mayo mentioned a few weeks ago that nurses that previously had covid had a strong response to the 1st vaccine.

1 Like

I had NO symptoms after first injection. Given this discussion, maybe my 2nd will be more reactive, so will plan accordingly with errands I was planning for that day.

1 Like

It’s not the day of the vaccine, but rather the next day typically that’s particularly bad for the people who have a strong reaction, starting at soonest about 8-10 hours after the shot, sometimes a bit longer. So for anyone taking a second dose (or a first dose, if you’ve already had COVID, in which case I believe the thought is you only need one shot anyway), I’d assume you may need the day after off from work/normal activities, and possibly the one after that as well. My partner had a fever of 102, chills, fatigue, aches, and was generally miserable the day after, was somewhat better (no or only mild fever) the next day, and mostly better the next couple of days after that. Took about 5 days to be back to normally completely.

4 Likes

I have to hop on an airplane for about 8 hours of flights and airport shuffles a couple hours after my second moderna so hopefully that doesn’t go badly…

Will be looking for opportunities to change my apt to where I’m going to instead of coming from, but if a clear opportunity doesn’t present itself I’m not going to pass up the appointment I already have… even if it means staying at work for a few extra days unpaid

2 Likes