Hello, I am back

Hello all, I have been inactive for awhile, ( hoping to change that) hope everyone is doing well. I have been fighting both medically and mentally, have really let. My diabetes care fall to the wayside, haven’t even seen my endo in 6 months. Hardly ever wear my. Pump. Medicare stopped supplying my libre and doesn’t supply enough strips to do anything (4) a day. My endo is is very good but I feel they forget all about you when you walkout, they never follow up on on anything like getting me the supplies they say I need.
Any way this was supposed to be a hello to all, hope everyone is still on here and looking forward to interacting with those I haven’t meet yet.

11 Likes

Glad to “see” you again! Please know we’re here for you!

3 Likes

Hope you find some renewed motivation:) This battle is 90% mental in my humble opinion.

6 Likes

Great to see you back. Sorry to hear about your insurance battles. Those take a lot of energy.

1 Like

Leaving an endo would not get Medicare to refuse to cover CGM supplies you qualified for previously. Not seeing an endo every 6 months or not having a replacement endo would.

Your post makes it sound like you left a practice under bad terms, that they hold a grudge because you stopped seeing them . That should not make a difference.

By law your healthcare records must be provided to you and to any physician you authorize to have them. Any doctor who “forgets” a Medicare patient by losing their records would be in serious trouble.

Medicare is very specific about what CGMs they cover, and what is needed to obtain and continue to receive equipment coverage. Frequency of visits is a specified requirement for CGMs.
The rules were loosened this year, but it is still necessary to have a continuing relationship with a doctor to have a prescription renewed.

If you want Libre then you need to have a a doctor to prescribe it. If you need more strips than the standard you can get more but will need a doctor to write it up.

2 Likes

That’s a big problem in the US at present; we don’t have endos, or at least they prefer golf to patients. My endo jumped ship (left the US) in the middle of 2021. After discussion (he was a good endo; his employer wanted to send me out-of-company to a local PA) he referred me to an endo 50 miles away (2nd choice, his preference, was 100miles). Said endo did nothing for a lot more than 6 months then said FOAD; so I went back to the PA, who accepted me (but rejected my wife) and I can’t see her until August.

No doubt the semi-distant endo is trying to deal with the vast influx of patients as a result of the ACA. In the US people who were poor couldn’t get health care. The ACA changed all that, so there are lots of poor people who can now get health care for the first time and they want it. As a rich guy I have to stand in line with them, that is good.

1 Like

Yeah, I know it’s hard.

It’s harder if you’re not one of their scheduled regular patients.Maintenance is easier than repair or replacement.

Right now they are dealing with a flood of demand for CGMs for Medicare T2s because of the loosened CMS guidelines and heavy advertising by Dexcom.

I had to wait for 4 months to get an appointment with an in-system referral to an endo who’s in a local group of physicians with 3 other endos associated with a large regional hospital system.

Knowing what I do now I would have attempted to find one earlier, and if this one leaves the practice I will immediately ask to be transferred to another one in the group.

I saw them in mid January, they scheduled my next appointment in June. I’ve had frequent contact with the practice through it’s educators and did not see the doctor at the time when I asked for a prescription for CGM and pump. When I send MyChart messages to the doctor’s attention, 90% of the time they get answered by an assistant or an educator.

The previous time I had an endocrinologist was in 2008. I was in the 5s back then. He had a private practice and retired. Since then I’ve changed all my doctors, and finally, the hospital I used. I’m on my second PCP with them, the first one moved to Iowa. The first question I asked his replacement was did he have any plans to retire, quit or move. He laughed and said no.

I had looked for another endo previously but since I was doing well at the time and there were none that were not part of a practice where I had had a bad experience with the lead “founder” of that group.I couldn’t imagine that people that he hired would have any different philosophy or attitude than the the one who hired them .

He actually snapped me for not having a better fasting BG and walked out without asking me a single question or looking at my logs, didn’t make any suggestions how to do better. I was following the protocol he gave me to follow to the letter my averages were good but I was waking high every single morning. My PCP sent me for lab tests. He found that I had an intestinal infection.

What I learned that may be helpful to others in the future is that if you hear that any of your physicians is going to be leaving a practice, contact them immediately.

They should be notifying you in advance of that happening, should be making your records immediately available to you and offer to assist you in transferring to the care of another physician. That should cover you in most cases except if your doctor dies unexpectedly. Or you aren’t an active patient.

2 Likes