Got my Baqsimi free

BCBS Federal Employee Program refused to cover Baqsimi in November 2019, saying it’s too new for them to have processed an approval. (It’s the powdered form of glucagon that you snort.)

Called Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 833-808-1234 and they sent me an email with an attached .pdf coupon. My endo faxed a scrip to the local Harris Teeter pharmacy and they accepted the coupon. I am getting one unit and one additional as the first refill. Free. Refills will cost $95. Coupon is good until December 31, 2019.

The coupon details say you must not have insurance coverage for Baqsimi or for injected Glucagon. The guy on the phone from Lilly did not mention the injected part. I called the coupon info number to ask about that since BCBS Federal Employee Program does cover the injected version, but they just said use the coupon. I did.

Thanks @Chris for the suggestion that I identify which BCBS I have. I edited to add that.

Edited again: I got my Baqsimi product, and the expiry date is 6/2021. This is probably their first commercial batch, since they announced availability 6/2019 and that would make two years.

7 Likes

Great news on getting the Baqsimi for free, saying BCBS doesn’t cover, however, is a bit broad. Many of the BCBS run state plans with different rules which vary by state, and some larger employers hire BCBS to administer an internal plan. So if it doesn’t identify you too much which plan refused to cover Baqsimi?

Appreciate you pointing out to our members a pathway to get the coupon.

2 Likes