"Good foods" for diabetes

Those look yummy! I am going to look for those next time I am shopping. :smiley_cat:

3/1/20: Finally tried ‘em and yum!! :yum:

1 Like

2 good now makes a 3 carb yogurt that my son likes. We combine that with a piece of whole wheat toast with butter, Jimmy Dean makes a crustless quiche muffin thing in the freezer section that he also really likes that for 2 only has 9 carbs. (Son is 5 and seems to like all those things— also loves the yogurt as a “free snack”)

2 Likes

So much of our BG is affected by what we eat.

What are some foods that are generally moderate to low carbs that we can eat in relatively large quantities? I am thinking of “substitutes” for rice/pasta.
Please add your suggestions. Thanks!

Spaghetti squash
Riced cauliflower
Broccoli? - does anyone eat broccoli as a substitute for starch?

I have never found these to feel like a substitute for bread/pasta. My son can eat a lot of cashews and finds them filling and they tend to have a more gradual rise in blood sugar than a piece of bread. But for him, pasta/pizza are not hard to bolus for, so not sure…

1 Like

Im a KIND bar addict. I find that eating just half of one before heading out the door to scurry about my neighborhood (errands) without bolusing keeps my BGs completely level. no spikes or lows.

just my 2 cents. but as always, YDMV. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve recently started using the Muir gels for running. They offer carbs of 10-18g depending on flavor but they actually taste like the ingredients listed on their packaging, unlike other gels, including HUMA gels! I now use HUMA gels for pre-run (21g) and Muir gels for carbs during run. The Muir gel is sightly smaller, too, so easier to carry.

I also like the Kind nutrition bars. Haven’t eaten them in a while though. The ingredient list looks pretty good even compared to the Caveman nutrition bars. Kind bars have 7g of fiber vs Caveman’s 3g, so they probably have a lower GI, good for T1s. I might try 1/2 bar for my walks, too! Thanks for the tip @daisymae and @cardamom!

5 Likes

@Trying Thank you for dropping the Muir and HUMA names! I’ve been trying to find something that helps me stay in range when I work out or go to work (I work in a kitchen and usually end up dropping during rushes) I typically use some kind of juice (apple or cranberry) before a work out or shift and have glucose tabs with me for when I start to drop but I tend to skyrocket after treating the low. Im going to try these gels to see if that helps!!!

3 Likes

@clo - My go to for lows is Hammer Gel. Don’t know how I ever survived without this stuff.

The vanilla flavour is my favourite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FUOEOA/?tag=malmodatcamme-20

4 Likes

The Huma has 21g carbs so you may need to take a bit of bolus for it. I don’t usually bolus during exercise but I use Loop in Omnipod pump and Dexcom CGM. Loop will give me small boluses if my BG starts to go past a configurable value, eg., 100.

FUD’s exercise expert is @Eric. He has really helped me with running through all his help with everyone. Take a look at some if the exercise Wiki posts. I know for me, my body is extremely sensitive to insulin during exercise so even 0.1u will drop me!

Good luck with the gels, and hope they prevent the lows and the spikes.

3 Likes

@Jim_YYC oooo yes the vanilla sounds good, thats usually the flavor of protein drinks I get lol I will definitely try that brand and flavor too! I just ordered a box of the Muir and HUMA but ill definitely try the hammer brand next!! Thank you for the suggestion, im excited I have all these new things to try :smile:

1 Like

I need to look a Loop, I was told about it by someone on here a week or so ago and have yet to check it out (mix of being lazy and going back to work and being a master at procrastinating lol) it sounds like something that will help me out a bunch.
Thank you for recommending the wiki posts and @Eric! I’ll definitely check out those posts and keep him in mind if I have any questions :grinning:

2 Likes

You named me! lol

Here is the documentation for Loop after procrastination is done, of course!!! :wink:

2 Likes