Going from moderate carb diet to paleo(ish)

Congrats on staying track with it!!

I’ve also been thinking on this (and I’m assuming @T1Allison would be upset if I didn’t mention her here :blush: )

The way I was thinking it would work out was that I found I need around -20 to -35% basal while eating paleo consistently (for me I’d say that’s a few days in a row (since these past few weeks have been hectic and I’ve mostly been paleo, interrupted by nonpaleo meals here and there)). For my insulin resistant days of my cycle (week 4, a few days before starting my period and about 24 hours after starting my period) I need about +10-40% in basal. For my insulin resistant days of my cycle (week 1, about 24 hours after starting my cycle to about day 5/6), I need about -10 to -20% in basal.

HOWEVER, I’ve found that with eating paleo, these basals aren’t perfectly summative. As in if I’ve been eating paleo (-25% basal) and I’m on week 1, day two of my cycle (-15% basal), I can’t just add the -25% and the -15% to say my basal should be -40%. I found (at least in this month) that it’d be more like -30 or 35% that I’d need (and likewise for my insulin resistance in my cycle that if I need -25% for paleo and +10% for my resistnace that I’m actually more in the middle of just going with +0%). Maybe it’s just that I’m eating more around starting my period or something like that. But I’m going to try to document the dampening of paleo insulin needs surrounding my period.

2 Likes

I’ll be going on vacation on thursday until mid-July so paleo will be going out the window for me :sweat_smile: . I’m going to try to have most of my meals consist of whole foods, and I’ll be staying away from non-paleo based dishes most of the time, but it’s not like I’ll be cooking my meals, and it’s also not like I’m going to skip out on trying awesome food! So I won’t have anything new until I’m back

But @TravelingOn and @Pianoplayer7008 - some recommendations (if you haven’t already heard of them!):

• Steve’s Paleo goods: big big thumbs up for the Peach BBQ sauce, ketchup, and maple mustard. I’ll throw the maple mustard on pultry and veggies to easily get flavor while cooking a quick meal and all the sauces are delicious. I get my Steve’s stuff from Whole Foods
  • Paleo in 28 - I really like that the recipees are quick and easy to make
4 Likes

Oooh! Have an excellent trip! I’m sure there will be lots of new things to try! Safe travels!!!

1 Like

And thanks for the tip about Steve’s! I’ll see if I can find it.

1 Like

My biggest struggle right now is up until now I haven’t seen a dramatic enough increase in insulin needs to change anything between various stages of my cycle - I’m only on 4u Levemir/day (now 3u eating paleo), and I “guesstimate” my Novolog boluses most of the time, so I don’t even know what my ICR is or how much it changes. Somehow it just all has worked out… :blush:

I had 3 nights of after dinner lows, then last night things seemed to have balanced out again (ate a bit more carbs at dinner, too). Hopefully things will be more steady for a little while.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m struggling in the sauce area…I’ve had to cut out a lot of acidic things and nightshades, so no tomatoes, peppers, etc, which is honestly really depressing. Last night, tried to make a sauce for some shrimp and pineapple kabobs (which were amazing), but it was overly sweet since I couldn’t add any heat or much acidity to it.

1 Like

Can you tolerate Lemon? If no, is there any acid you can tolerate i.e. vinegars, etc?

I can tolerate lemon and lime, and so far ACV, but not balsamic (which is one of my favorite homemade dressings :sob:).

1 Like

Well then you can make some awesome Chimichurri’s this time of year, also pineapple juice, lemon and a little sugar and salt make a nice sauce.

I do love a good chimichurri…I somehow managed to run out of garlic yesterday (a true tragedy). I’ll have to try the pineapple sauce - thanks!

Can you do avocado? When I was really sticking to true Paleo I loved avocado and lime and cilantro as a sauce or dressing - I would use a hand blender to turn it into something that roughly approximated the consistency of ranch dressing. Clearly, this depends on the availability of avocados. I have heard you can actually freeze avocados for use later in the year. I heard this at an avocado farm, so I assume it must be true – or a complete lie? Maybe they were just trying to make money off of me!? I have no idea. :rofl::avocado:

Also I like Tessamae’s dressing if you can find one that’s AIP.

2 Likes

I’m so glad that you find that book useful!

I’m not necessarily the worlds biggest fan of super low carb for myself, because I find that I slip into a depression very quickly. I did the Whole 30, and it was bordering on disaster. So, lots of sweet potatoes and carbs happen for me when I’m sticking to a Paleo plan. That being said, I think that you can eat a lot of carbs in Paleoland.

I like the following (had it on the fridge until recently actually), which you probably spotted in the book, but maybe it’s not there? Anyway, I’m posting it here:

1 Like

Thank you so much for that guide! I really just need to be more diligent to keep food on hand. I ran out of sweet potatoes several days ago, and it’s been a struggle trying to figure out what to eat for carbs. :laughing:

Unfortunately, avocados are on the no list right now. I starting reacting pretty horribly to them a few months ago. It’s been an off and on reaction for a while now, so not unexpected, just difficult. :slightly_frowning_face: I do think there’s a truth to the freezing fact, as I’ve seen bulk bags of frozen avocado at Costco before!

1 Like

I am going to have to check this out. Am/have started on a paleo (ish) eating style. Have basically stopped eating processed foods and being carefully what I do eat.
With what I have been eating and recently getting back into exercising I have had to cut back around 25% on my basal. BUT and for me a big but I am loosing weight, I am 6’-4" tall, weighed 280lbs (hardly no fat) untill heart attack and cancer in 2015 when i dropped to 160lbs in less than 3 months. Have been trying hard to gain weight, when I started exercising again my sugar started dropping alot, instead of dropping basal I would eat myself back up, pump stops basal at 60 so I stayed with it got up to about 190 , then 2 weeks ago I did workshop with neurologist specializing in nerothropy and paleo was big on his list so started trying, now I’ve lost 20 pounds fell like I am way low most all day which I am not.
Anyway went the long way around to saying I really like this tread.

1 Like

Well skip the avocados then! Not worth feeling crummy! I am sorry they’re making you feel bad.

Avocados are high in histamines—I used to be fine with them, but ever since my body got more reactive to histamines, they are on my rarely list, and never during allergy season. :frowning: If you’re reacting to them due to histamines as well, then it would make sense that it’s inconsistent, since may depend on the amount of other histamines in your system at the time, since unlike anaphylaxis-causing allergies, it’s a levels thing, not all or nothing.

2 Likes

I am curious about eating “whole” foods and also being mindful of carbohydrates. How do you incorporate nuts, seeds into your diet? Some nuts/seeds can be great sources protein, fiber and some carbs and are filling. Walnuts are my favorite; I can eat as much as I want; I have less than about 1 Cup a day. Cashews, almonds in small quantities are ok too.

2 Likes

I am interested in hearing your progress. Do you eat quinoa, nuts and seeds, and beans as part of eating unprocessed and whole foods? Some nuts and seeds seem really good because for a satisfying snack portion, the carbs aren’t too high. I used to like eating beans - but a satisfying portion at a meal would be too many carbs and high fiber. The combination of high carb and high fiber is too difficult for me to bolus.( I count carbs quite poorly- and I don’t count fat, proteins.). Walnuts for example, is very filling and I don’t need much to satisfy hunger. So for about 5-6 g carbs from walnuts, I can be pretty satiated for a snack…
Pumpkin seeds also seem to be sufficiently filling for a snack, without too many carbs. With processed foods, if I were to eat a bowl of cereal, it could be easily 60-80 g carbs from the cereal and milk. Nuts are so satisfying so, currently, I am not concerned about gaining weight from over eating nuts. Assuming no allergies, are there downsides to eating nuts and seeds?

2 Likes

No, nuts and seeds are a great nutritious food, obviously they shouldn’t be the backbone of your diet, but for what they are you should be fine.

1 Like

I am not eating paleo/unprocessed and whole foods right now since I just got done with marathon training, and I was frickin hungry and eating anything and everything in sight for a couple months :rofl:

I think quiona is debated as paleo or not. Nuts and seeds are considered paleo. And I’m not sure about beans. But honestly, I would just go with what you enjoy eating, what is manageable with BGs/makes BG management easier, and what keeps you full! I was eating a lot of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. when doing paleo(ish) eating! I think their fats helped fill me up, and so delish!

I totally agree with what @Chris said here! As long as you’re balancing out nuts and seeds with other foods in your diet (so you can get proper vitamins/nutrients/protein, etc), I think it’s fine to fill up on nuts and seeds!

3 Likes