GI Problems and How You Combat Them

In about the past 3 years, I developed chronic GI problems, ranging from GP (for which I take Domperidone), IBS, and motility problems (for which I use MiraLax). I am active, I eat healthily, my latest A1c was just 5.2% (and usually in a range between 4.9-5.3), so for all intents and purposes, I take very good care of myself and “should” not have these issues. but I am a T1D and I suppose that these issues can come with the package.

To the point:

Who out there has these kind of issues and how do you deal with them? I would be VERY grateful to hear back from you.

PS: I believe that this pandemic is just further aggravating my issues bc I am not able to be as active as I formerly was.

2 Likes

I have had GP for a number of years. My primary issue is constant nausea. I have been fortunate the last couple of years things have settled down a bit. I also take domperidone as needed(not sure it does anything…for me), but the real game changer for me was 4 years ago they gave me mirtazapine which really helped my nausea and my appetite. Mirtazapine is the only medicine that did any noticable good for me and greatly improved my quality of life.

Not eating after 8:00 pm and skipping breakfast also helps.

Stress also sends my nausea through the stratosphere.

Chewing gum also helps with my nausea, so you can tell how bad its bothering me based on amount of gum I’m going through.

It really sucks, but i also feel fortunate that it isn’t worse than it is.

Like you I keep my A1C in the 5’s. I’m really focusing on TIR and trying to the variability of my BS’s down. I’m 100 % sure the spikes in my BS’s is the root cause of my GP. Why my A1C in the 90’s was decent but it wasn’t showing what was making up that number.

2 Likes

I don’t experience any nausea, but a feeling of constant fullness with a total lack of appetite. Like you, I don’t eat after 8pm EVER…not even having a T.

but I do eat small, and consistent meals 3 times a day…always at the same time, unless I really feel bloated and uncomfortable. I am a snacker, but with micro portions.

I have found that yogurt helps, and I chew my food until its purred before swallowing. my doctor actually told me to put my food in a blender (Yeah, right, like I’m gonna put a roasted turkey in my blender :crazy_face:)

thanks for your replay. I am so sorry that you go through this as well, but I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this.

btw, have you ever taken the antibiotic Xifaxan? sometimes it has worked like a charm, but other times it has exacerbated all my problems. I never know whether to take it or not bc I never know what may happen.

2 Likes

Yeah, they have a lot of brilliant ideas, most which don’t work. GP is very individualized and what works for me probably want work for you…having said that I will plug mirtazapine again, it’s side effect is increasing your appetite. It did for me.

2 Likes

The idea of an increased appetite is unappealing to me bc I am so terribly bloated. my belly is swollen like a very rubbery basketball. Ugh.

2 Likes