FUDiabetes

Complications with gastroparesis

I have diabetic gastroparesis. i take Domperidone for it (i get it from Canada b/c its not available/FDA approved in the USA)

for the most part it works without a glitch. my BGs are excellent; my food digests normally now.
however, i get sporadic flare-ups and get bacterial infections in my stomach. it is very very uncomfortable. i get nauseated, seriously bloated, and get very toxic gas, and my stool is abnormal. (hope that isnt too TMI )

last night i was so uncomfortable, i paged my GI doc but he wouldnt perscibe antibiotics (which always work perfectly) which he knows has worked for me in the past. but, he wouldnt perscribe until i came in to his office (all the way into the city, ugh); but i just saw him 2 months ago; what could seeing him in person that could possibly help? i had already had an endoscope, a gastric emptying test, etc. in the past he has put me on a 10 day round of erithromyacin., and it works like a charm within two days, whats his deal besides wanting more money for an office visit. UGH.

anyhow, i just wanted to have some FUD info on dealing with this disorder. i went on the “search” site and couldnt find anything on this subject. just want to know what others do when these flare-ups happen.so this morning at 8:30 my husband drove me to an Urgent Care Office. the doctor was amazing, she was D educated and commented on my pump. she knew immediately what i was talking about when we went over my symptoms and she called the antibiotic right in to the pharmacy. it was ready in 3 minutes.
thank goodness.

so, SOS on the subject! thanks in advance, DM

3 Likes

@daisymae, Samson doesn’t have gastroparesis (that we know of) but reading about it it certainly seems like a major frustration and pain. Either way, I’m very happy that you lucked out in Urgent Care and were able to get relief without the same level of hassle as the GI doc would require!

4 Likes

DM, sorry you aren’t feeling well, we all know how much that sucks, especially on top of diabetes management. uugh.

4 Likes

Gosh, @daisymae, so sorry this happened to you :frowning: I can’t believe your doc wouldn’t call in it :frowning:

I was unaware that the definition of gastroparesis had recently changed (2013):

I know this is not much help to you, but I recently read this fairly recent (2009) article on diagnosis and treatment of gastroparesis that I thought you might be interested in (you may have read it already):

RareDiseases.org also has an interesting in-depth write-up:

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/gastroparesis/