GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

So glad you are back in the pool, DM. The viruses and covid sound like they took a huge toll though. Enjoy your much deserved good health now and hope these pesky virues stay away!!

I, too, caught some virus, but tested negative for covid. Im still recovering after a week but each day i think i will finally be fine. It just sort of lingers. Nothing like the experience you went through though.

5 Likes

COURAGE OVER FEAR EXPERIMENT #1:

Since I havent been doing those old 2 hour swims, I forgot how much power a ZERO basal has on my blood sugars. When I was getting ready to leave the house for my swim, my BG was 85. I was nervous that the 15 minutes of 0% basal would not be enough to keep me afloat, so I waited another 10 minutes before leaving the house. (The Force)

Its pouring cats and dogs here in Brooklyn and my umbrella broke from the gusts of wind on the way to the pool. I was already soaked and I hadnā€™t even jumped in yet :rofl: . I was glad that I waited that extra 5 minutes before leaving though. It took me 20 more minutes to get to the pool, so by the time I was changing into my suit, cap and goggles, my BG had come up enough to help me to feel safe to jump in. I forgot what a daredevil I used to b. Iā€™ll get used to it, I know, but I need some time to build up to swimming with BGs on the lower end of the spectrum. My fear is that I am going to sink and the 10 year olds there that call themselves ā€œlife guardsā€ wont know what to do or wont know how to do anything fast enough to help me.

(I think bc it is pouring and cold here in Brooklyn today, nobody wanted to leave their homes. I had the pool all to myself.That was a definite plus)

I had a really good nights sleep. this ALWAYS helps, especially bc I am not a good sleeper. My sugars during the night were all in the 70s, but I woke up at 51 and had to take 6gms of fast glucose.This brought my sugars up to 93 in just 1/2 an hour, before my breakfast, and I was able to bolus. I had Goats Milk Yogurt with Cashews on the side. I like the fresh RAW cashews. they have a really nice, buttery sweet taste to them and when theyā€™re really fresh they are deliciousā€¦if youre a nut person, which I happen to be.

Stats:

6:05am BG 51 6gms glucose
6:30am BG 93 bolus for bfast
11:30am BG 85 Turn Off Basal
11:50 walk to the pool
12:15 BG 104 took 4.75gms glucose and jumped in
12:45 BG 95 climbed out of the pool and went to the locker room and bolused .4 U/h for insulin replacement. I dont know if that was enough to cover all of the Zero basal, but Iā€™ll find out later.

It was a good swim. Stronger than Mondayā€™s, but I still had to push myself as it was rather painful on my spine and the muscles up and down my back. My breathing was still a little labored but not as it was on Monday. One small step at a time.

I feel really good about not having the fear of low blood sugars dictate my desire to swim. Iā€™m a full fledged member of FUD for goodness sake! :star_struck: Iā€™ll keep u posted.( if I go low this evening, I still have some left-over homemade Pumpkin Pie from Thanksgiving to munch on.)

ill be back in the pool on Friday.

signing out,

DM

8 Likes

Congrats on an awesome swim DM! Those are great numbers!
:star_struck:

4 Likes

STARTING OUT HIGH FOR UNKNOWN REASON EXPERIMENT #1:

All yesterday and all throughout the night and overnight, my sugars were in perfect TR. Nothing above 100 and nothing below 72. At breakfast this morning my sugars were 92. I ate my usual 12gms of Goats Milk Yogurt with fresh cashews on the side. But for some unknown reason this morning after breakfast my sugars began to spike. Just as soon as I had no more IOB I dashed to the pool. When I tested before jumping in, my sugars had climbed to 150!!! OMG. I detached from my pump and started my swim. I was so determined to bring my sugars down that I swam an extra 15 minutes. When I finished my BG had come down to 104. I bolused .3 u/h for the time off my pump (45 minutes) and showered, dressed and dashed home. I changed my pump out for a new one, and bolused 3.2 u/h for my 2 Boost refuel shakes. I waited 20 minutes and then began drinking them. Unfortunately, my husband came home and wanted to talk and kept interrupting me while I was trying to enjoy my shakes. This might have been the low BG culprit I had. He kept delaying my drinking and it took me about 1 full hour to enjoy my shakes. Gosh darn it! :grimacing: It could also have been the fact that this was my third day in the week that I was swimming, and I just needed to turn my basal down (thats what Eric would tell me and has on many occasions; im forgetful like that).

So, my sugars went down to 50, and ive been having a really tough time bringing them up to at least 70. Im taking Skittles and chocolate, but making no progress. I turned down my basal to a TB of 95%. That may not be enough, but im certain I will find out.

It was a really great, strong swim. The pool was empty. I had the lane all to myself. it was bliss.

Its freezing here in Brooklyn today. I decided to put on my old winter running gear ( instead of my sweatpants ) for my walk to and from the pool. But it was still really super cold, and on the way home, I had wet hair and despite my hat and hood, I couldnt get warm. It was so nice to get home and turn on the heater :wink:.

I will be having ablations on my back on the 14th for the pain. They are supposed to give relief for between 6 and 8 months. I really hope they work for me. I am scared. They give you anesthesia and put u under. My husband doesnt want me to have them. Heā€™s frightened that they wont b done properly and I will b paralyzed. But the procedure has been cleared by my spinal surgeon, and I trust both doctors completely. I think I am in good hands. I am not certain how soon I will b able to get back into the pool after the surgery, but I am hoping its soon!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: Please keep me in your prayers!

So Iā€™ve got the weekend off, and I will b back in the pool on Monday. I am already looking forward to it. I want to thank you all again for your extreme generosity for contributing to the cost of the pool membership. It really is life changing for me every time I am in the water. I think of all of you during every swim.

some stats:

12am (last night) BG 95
3:30am BG 98
6:30am BG 81
6:45am BG 90 bolused for bfast
11am BG 143 OMG!!! Dashed to pool
11:20am BG 150 Jumped in ASAP
12:05pm BG 104 bolused .3 u/h
12:35 bolused 3.2 U/h for 32gms refuel shakes
2:05 BG 50 skittles and chocolate
2:50 BG 53 more skittles and chocolate turned down basal to 95%

hopefully the night will run smoothly.

signing out,

DM

9 Likes

It is awesome to see you back in the pool DM.

5 Likes

Thank you so much Chris. It makes my day when someone gets happiness from something I delight in doing!!! A double winner.

5 Likes

A LITTLE CORTISOL REACTION EXPERIMENT #1:

AT 11:30am I was getting ready to leave for the pool. My sugars were perfect for the start of any swim (for me, IMHO). I didnt want to leave as early as I did bc the Big Fat Ladies take up 3 lanes to do their water aerobics (? Not really certain exactly what they do :rofl: ) until 12:30. But my husband needed me for some marital support at 1pm and I wanted to make it home in time to help him out. So I suffered through the fat ladies interfering with my luxurious lap lane to myself . (I had to share the lane with 2 other swimmers, which stinks for a number of reasons I wont get into.)

It was a strong swim. Probably the best yet since Iā€™ve gotten back into the pool. My breathing problems were completely absent. My arms and legs were strong. If I hadnā€™t had the pain in my back, I would say all things were perfect. But I swim through the pain. I wear it like a badge of honor. (I have chosen to go through with the back Ablations and am having them next week on Wednesday; I dont know how long I will b restricted from the pool afterwards, buts its fair to say that I wont b bk in the pool until the following Monday.)

I have noticed how a really good nights sleep makes such a difference on my performance in the pool and out of it. For a long while I was in so much pain that it woke me up during the night and I was unable to get back to sleep. Then, after bfast, I would take a nap and then I couldnt sleep again the next night. Terrible cycle. But I am happy to say that I have broken that cycle and am enjoying great nights of restful sleep. I see how it effects my BGs, too. It seems to effect everything in a positive way. Anyhow, last night was a good night. woke up a bit on the high side but nothing dramatic (102). I made my Goat Yogurt and cashews for my bfast, and settled in until I had no more IOB (11am) I was ready to leave for the pool but hung out a bit with my husband for a while and then at 11:35am I was out the door.

stats:

11:35 BG 100 walk to pool
12pm BG. 116 (was this a cortisol rise? or was my meter wonky?) I took 4.1 gms of glucose and jumped into the pool
12:30 BG 82 went up to the locker rooms and bolused .3 u/h for missed basal while detached from my pump, showered and rushed home.
1pm bolused 3.2 u/h to cover y refuel shakes
3:30 finger stick: BG 98

feeling totally relaxed and was happy to b home to help out my husband. Then had a million little errands to do, so ive been busy ever since. Its nice to sit down at the computer and share this part of my life with you. I am always grateful when I see the little ā€œheartsā€ light up. It encourages me more than you could knowā€¦so, if you have taken your precious time to read my posts, please click on the ā€œheartā€ icon for me so I know I am helping another diabetic or relative of a diabetic with my babbling. I just want people to know that disabilities can be frightening and overwhelming, but they dont have to restrict us from loving and enjoying our lives to the fullest.

signing out,

DM

9 Likes

A DISAPPOINTING SWIM, EXPERIMENT #1:

Last night was rough for me. I had severe lows throughout the night which disrupted my sleep and when I did get out of bed to have my breakfast, my BG was just 45. I pounded back some apple juice immediately and waited 1/2 hour before testing again to see if my BG had come up. It did, but only by a little considering how much juice I had had. It was 60. So, I went back to the kitchen and had more juice.(1/4 Cup which translates into 6gms)

Shortly after (15 minutes) my BG spiked to 144! Holy cow. I bolused for bfast and did a correction on top of it. I just new this wouldnā€™t turn out well.

By 11:15 my BG was 114. Phew. High, but acceptable. But then I decided to retest just in case my meter was misbehaving. My BG had spiked to 130. And by the time I had left the house, my BG was 135. I felt frustrated, tired, and just pissed off that there is no magic formula to make this disease more manageable and predictable. I walked to the pool. So far, the best part of the day was that it was rainy and cold and the streets were empty.

when I got to the pool it was completely emptyā€¦I guess no one wanted to get out of bed on a miserable day like today (certainly anyone who even thought about getting into a cold swimming pool!)

It was a labored swim. Breathing was off, my muscles hurt, and the pain in my back was pretty bad. But I put in the 1/2 hour and did the best I could. when I got out of the pool, my BG was higher than usual so I bolused .1 more unit than usual for my basal replacement. (I found out that when I got home and looked up my basal rate for that hour, I could have bolused another .1u/h. Oh well.) my higher than usual sugars post swim (IMHO) caused my BG to rise pretty quickly as I walked home. Even 15 minutes after my refuel bolus, my sugars were high. I had to wait for them to come down to TR before chugging down my Boost Shakes. (darn it)

stats:

6:30am BG 45
8am. BG 144
11:10am BG 114
11:20am BG 135. another 1/2 hour to go before I had zero IOB.
11:45 walked to pool
12:05 BG 130, took 1 Gtab (should have only taken 1/2 but was so frazzled I wasnt thinking and overdid it) jumped into the pool.
12:35 BG 110 got out of the pool frustrated and bolused .4u/h showered and dressed and walked home. On my way home I bolused 3.2 u/h for my refuel shakes and figured (as usual) that I would be back in TR by the time I got to my desk. But when I did, however, my BG had shot up to 138! I waited and waited for the darn BG to come down. Finally after an hour, my sugars were 98 and I drank my shakes. Very frustrating. Didnt even get my ā€œrunners highā€ today. Bummer.

Well, Iā€™ll b back in the pool on Friday and with any luck everything will run more smoothly. I my harshest critic and I just gotta learn to let go when things dont run according to plan.

signing out,

DM

7 Likes

AN APOLOLGY:

I feel terrible about a way that I expressed myself a few posts back, and I owe a huge apology to anyone I offended. My attitude was inappropriate, especially bc on FUD we all support one another no matter what. And most of all, we encourage one another to be the best that they can be. I was rude and insensitive and should have thought what I was writing through with more care and compassion. The last thing I was was humble. I was flat out hurtful. I have been regretting what I wrote, and had to think it through before I could amend my insensitive post. Everyone here has rooted me on for years now. When I started out, I was at the very very beginning of a long journey. I didnt even understand how most of my pump worked. I didnt know what basals or boluses were. I didnt know what an ICR or a TR or a FOTF was. But I put myself out there and started at the starting point. Where else you gonna start, right? No one ever shamed me. Just rooted for me. I very slowly made some progress, and with each milestone, the FUD community applauded my small achievements. You have been nothing but sensitive and kind, and as I mentioned, I regret terribly some comments I made on this post.

APPOLOGY:

I was ranting like a spoiled child about how the pool was being taken over by Overweight Fat Women doing exercises and taking up 3 lanes in the pool that could have been put to better use. What better use could there be than for these women to be out there exercising trying their very best to get and be healthy? NONE. There they were, trying so hard to help themselves, and all I thought of was myself and the inconvenience it put on me bc I didnt have enough pool lap lanes to accommodate my desires.Its so childish for me to hold such an attitude that the entire pool be there for my benefit and mine alone.

THE SOLUTION:

Humility. I am very pleased that someone I respect pointed this out to me in a private post. I was unaware of what I had written. And its not just that I need to keep these thoughts to myself, its that if and when I have these thoughts, I can recognize them and put them ā€œback on the shelf,ā€ so to speak. There is no place for them. Not here, certainly, and not in my brain. I strive to be the best that I can, and that does not mean just with taking care of my diabetes, but how I chose to live my life.

I truly am sorry. I hope I did not offend many people.That was never my intention. I hope that you can accept my humble apology and continue to move forward with me on my journey.

signing out,

DM

12 Likes

I did notice this bit in your prior post, and it seemed a bit off.
I would venture to say that itā€™s a small error in anyoneā€™s scheme of things.
We all make mis-steps, donā€™t we?

Keep on truckinā€™

7 Likes

Itā€™s very noble of you to apologize like that. And in my life I certainly have more regrets for things I have said than for things I have not said!

You are great! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

AN UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCE, EXPERIMENT #1:

I got a second Flu Vaccination a few days ago. I know that sounds like a strange thing to do, but what happened was just as strange. I had my original Flu shot about a month ago. I had absolutely NO reaction from it other than a sore shoulder. All seemed well until I got a call from the corporate offices of CVS Pharmacy informing me that the store from which I received my flu shot hadnā€™t had their refrigerator at the correct temperature and therefore it was possible that I did not get a healthy dose of my vaccination. They told me to discuss this with my Primary Physician and decide whether I wanted to receive ANOTHER flu shot just in case just to cover all the bases. After a hearty conversation with my doctor, I decided to get the second shot.

Well, ever since that shot, only 2 or 3 days ago, my BGs have been all over the map. 42 BG here, 196 BG there. But mostly highs that were very very stubborn and almost impossible to bring downā€¦of course I neglected to do a raised temp basal, but heck, we all make mistakes. But, finally last night I woke up around 2:30 and my BG was 148 and I was so frustrated that I did a correction bolus and turned on a TB of 120% and went back to sleep. This seemed to do the trick bc when I woke up this morning my BG had come down to 90.However, all seemed to be going well until after bfast when my BG went down to 61 and no matter how many Skittles I ate, I couldnt bring my BG into a safe swimming range. So I turned my basal off (much earlier than I usually would have) and waited longer on the ZERO basal than I usually would. And, of course, finally, my BG came up to 81. I left the house for the pool. Right before I jumped in, I did a finger stick; my sugars were 104. I ate 6gms of glucose and started my swim.

I really didnt know what to expect with my BGs bc of all that time on 120% TB and the 0% TB (for 40 minutes + the 1/2 hour in the pool disconnected from my pump), but I swam my heart out. I was pleasantly surprised when I got out and my BG was 99.

Who would expect a Flu shot to have such an impact on my sugars 2 or 3 days after the injection? Seemed strange. But it was what it was, and I did my best to navigate around the situation. weā€™ll see what happens later. When I reattached to my pump again, I put the basal bk to 120%. I may not need that much insulin anymore, but I can always turn it off. One step at a time.

Stats:

10:30pm (last night) BG 87
2:30am BG 148 .7U correction and Upped TB to 120%
6:30am BG 85 bolused for bfast (had a hearty bowl of Oatmeal, 34gms)
10am BG 71 took 4 gms glucose (still had IOB from bfast)
11:35 BG 61 took 4 more gms and turned off my basal
12pm BG 89 left for the pool
12:25 BG 104 took 4.5 gms and jumped in for my swim
1pm BG 99 bolused .6 U for insulin replacement for time on zero basal
1:25 bolused 3.2 units for carb/protein refuel (32gms)

and now I wait. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

I am having my Ablation surgery on Wednesday, so I wont be swimming again at least until Friday, but Iā€™ll make up the days out of the water the following week. If I dont exercise I get really crazy in the head :rofl: .

signing out,

DM

7 Likes

A DECISION I HAD TO MAKE:

I found out more about the pain of the ABLATION and its aftermathā€¦everything I could expect. SO, I changed my mind about it and cancelled the surgery.

I should expect terrible pain post op for 3 weeks (Jesus, thats a long time!). Absolutely no swimming for about 3 weeks (holy cow!), and that everything I do, I should expect pain from the procedure until the nerve is fully non-functioning which will take about 3 weeks.

I must admit that I have been feeling ever so slightly better as Iā€™ve been more active with my swimming and my walking around, and perhaps I will feel even better next month and I wont even want to bother with the ablation at all. I would, in a perfect world, prefer to go ā€œau naturalā€ as much as possible.(Acupuncture, Medical Massages, etc)

I have been getting regular massages, which I dont remember mentioning previously, and they have seemed to give me some relief. (they are not even professional medical massages, but ones from my local nail salon; they are very comforting though, and the woman who gives them to me is aware of my surgery and does a half decent job.) It is getting expensive though, but the Medical Professional massages and acupuncture are not covered by my insurance either; so, I will have to weigh out the costs and the kind of results I can expect.

Also, a contributing factor I weighed into my decision was based on how crappy I would feel going into the Holidays ahead. I think I would rather suffer for the 3 weeks post op AFTER than before and during such joyous times. I dont celebrate Christmas bc I am Jewish, but my husband and I light the Menhorah candles and say prayers and sing and exchange gifts for 7 nights. I love how we celebrate. I love the prayers and the laughter, and I REALLY love the gifts :star_struck: . :wink: (my husband can b the most generous man on the planet.)

So I wanted to post this info. Perhaps there will b someone out there in cyber FUD-Land who is considering getting an Ablation, and may want the whole picture before diving in. It is not a Quick Fix. Perhaps my post will b helpful. I hope that it will b if, God Forbid, someone actually needs to have one for their pain. I wish no one the pain that I have been suffering through. I just want you to get the full picture of how I came to making my decision.

Now I can look forward to swimming tomorrow as well as Friday. I am very relieved about thatā€¦and excited :smiley: :man_swimming: :man_swimming: :man_swimming:

signing out,

DM

8 Likes

WHAT A NEW UNEXPECTED TWIST; EXPERIMENT #1:

This one blew me away. This disease truly can be unpredictable!!!

I had a great overnight. Woke up refreshed and in TR. Made the usual bfast and kept myself busy until I had no more IOB. After 2.5 hours post bfast bolus, I did a finger stick and my BG was a little high at 138. I still had .9 U OB so I tried to chill instead of getting all OCD about it, even though I wanted to start swimming ASAP to get my sugars down. However, during the wait time, my sugars came down to 125 and I walked like I had fire behind me to get to the pool. When I got there, my BG had come down to 104. I took 6gms fast carbs and jumped into the water and swam my A*S off for 35 minutes. When I got out of the pool my BG was 65. I took 4gms of carbs and went up to the locker room. I didnt know what to expect. I bolused .6U for insulin replacement (perhaps too much today), got showered and dressed and bundled up and walked home.

when I got home I retested and my BG was 97. Perfect. I bolused for my refuel shakes 3.2U, waited 15 minutes, and started drinking. Bliss. Heaven. Oh do I love those shakes!!!

however, while I was drinking, I got curious about what my sugars might be since I had bolused while my sugars were low after my swim and I had taken the glucose tab and bolused on top of that. My BG was 57. I took another Gtab and continued drinking my shakes. I truly dont know what to expect. It is what it is.Theres a first time for everything.

It was a great swim though. And, I did something different than I have been doing in the past: I took my muscle relaxers BEFORE my swim so that they might kick in and relieve me of that post swim pain. It was a success. (I had never done this before bc I thought that since they make me feel so drowsy I wouldnā€™t swim well. Today I learned something new :+1:.)

stats:

Overnight : between 71 and 91
6:30am BG 95 woke up
6:50am BG 98 bolused for Oatmeal (34gms) 1:5.3 ICR
10am BG 138
10:50am BG 125 left the house for the pool
11:10am BG 105 took 6gms glucose at jumped into the pool
11:45 am BG 65 took 4gms glucose and bolused .6U for replacement insulin
12:20pm BG 97 (home) bolused 3.2U for refuel shakes
1:10pm BG 57 took 4gms glucose, continued drinking my shakes
1:45pm BG 59 took another 4gms and had a few cashews ( was ravenous and wanted to eat something I didnt beed to bolus for)

now its a waiting game. I will keep you posted. I am in unknown territory, so everything that happens is experimental and educational. I will keep a good eye on my sugars.

(this happened a few times when I was running at the very beginning of the pandemic, but I was on an 85% reduced TB. If I remember correctly, my sugars went down to something like 54. I just stopped, took 2 glucose tablets and kept running. It all worked out well in the end. However this time I was on 100% basal, and the only time off my basal was while I was in the pool and off my pump.)

will keep you posted! Iā€™ll b back in the pol on Friday.

signing out,

DM

9 Likes

HOW MUCH REPLACEMENT INSULIN DO I NEED?? EXPERIMENT #1:

A great swim today, except the pool was unusually cold, and it is so fridged outside, it didnt help things. :grimacing: But I had a great swim.

Last night was the first night of Chanukkah, and I went hole hog on the meal. I had to put myself on a 120% TB for 10 hours post meal just to keep my sugars in TR. (it worked like a charm, btwā€¦woke up at 96.)

So for my swim, my body was very well fueled.( I also had a large bowl of oats for breakfast this morning) I was rearing to go! :+1:

I started out my swim at 98 BG, right beforehand I took 8 gms glucose and jumped in. When I was finished with my swim my BG was 78. I bolused .5U for 1.25 hours of Zero Basal (I thought that would b just enough), and when I got home I bolused 3.2 U for my refuel shakes.

However, like last times swim, I went low (44) 3 hours after my first bolus. I had some apple juice ASAP and all is well now, but I really need to figure out just how much insulin I need to cover without over or under bolusing post swim. Today, for example, I was on a ZERO basal for 15 minutes before leaving the house. Then I walked to the pool, then I changed into my suit, then I left the locker room and went down 2 flights of stairs, then I jumped in and began swimming. I swam for a little longer than 30 minutes, then I did a finger stick when I got out of the pool, then I dashed upstairs and hooked back up to my pump just long enough to bolus .5U , then I unhooked again and took a 10 minute shower. Then after drying off, I reattached to my pump, got dressed and walked home.

at that hour, my basal rate is .55U/h. Having been off insulin for 1.25 hours, it seemed reasonable to bolus just .5U. Clearly, I am missing a piece of the puzzle here. Wednesday Iā€™m gonna try less insulin (but gosh I hate going high. Iā€™m so OCD Mathmatical about these things; I like to get it just perfect) (anywhere from 80 to 105 will do just fineā€¦I dont allow myself much wiggle room, I know.) So maybe Wednesday I will give myself 1/2 that bolus. (Yes, I know, I said that last week, but in the moment, under the haze of swimmerā€™s ā€œHighā€ I dont think so clearly. Im just surprised I actually am back swimming. :rofl:)

anyway, all is well. Getting ready to eat dinner. My body is still in a lot of pain, but quite relaxed. An odd sensation. Yesterday I had a back and leg and foot massage for 45 minutes. I think that the massages I have been getting work better than all the darn drugs I am still taking. (quite pricey though) (it certainly would make more sense for Medicare to pay for the massages, acupuncture,etc instead of the pain pillsā€¦which must cost them a small fortune anyway.) (and you dont have to tip the pharmacist)

not stats needed for today. I think Iā€™ll leave it at that. I look forward to my swim on Wednesday. Wishing everyone Happy and Healthy and Joyous Holidays.

DM

6 Likes

TAKING MY OWN ADVICE; EXPERIMENT #1:

yesterday and this morning were challenging. I was having a terribly hard time keeping my BGs up. If I had listened to my gut I would have simply turned down my basal, but part of me was getting a real kick about eating all those pastries my husband bought for us on Chanukah. I was on a manic roll to clean my apartment and push myself to let go of all the things I havent used or worn or even looked at for the past years. So, overnight my sugars spiked. it was around 2:30 in the morning. And it was as if all of the sugars I had injested throughout the previous day had piled up and then blasted themselves into my system. When I did my finger stick I was shocked : 165 !!! Holy Cow. So I did a correction bolus and went back to sleep.when I woke up this morning my sugars were 60. I took 1 glucose tab and waited for my BG to rise before I bolused for bfast. But like the day before, I couldnt get my sugars back up so I just kept drinking juice. Finally, I went high and I bolused for my bfast and added on some extra insulin. All I could think about was getting into the pool with a half decent BG and I really like to eat a hearty bfast beforehand. I was really impatient and drank too much juice. I overshot the mark. So, as soon as I had zero IOB, I left the house for the pool.

it was only a half decent swim. I felt tired and my muscles felt weak. I think I overdid my activity level cleaning the house yesterday. All Charlie Horsed and spinal pain. Ugh. But it was still wonderful to b in the water doing my thing.

when I finished and was back in the locker room, I only bolused .3U/h of replacement insulin. Iā€™ve been writing about this for too long now and promising myself I would stop over-bolusing after my swim. So, I am eager to see how this plays out. fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Stats are boring, but just for information here they are:

6:10am BG 65 took 1 Gtab (4gms)
6:30am BG 60 (was I going down?) I decided it couldnt hurt to take another tablet.
6:45am BG 77 bolused for bfast
7:05am BG spiked to 138, did a correction bolus of .5U/h and ate bfast
11:15am BG 120 made a mad dash to the pool to swim off the glucose
11:30am BG 110 took one Gtab (4gms) and started my swim
12pm BG 84 bolused .3U/h replacement insulin, showered dressed, bundled up and walked home.
12:35pm BG 96 bolused for 2 refuel shakes 3.2 U/h (32 gms)

now weā€™ll see what happens from my smaller bolus post swim. I am eager to see how it works out. And, if I go low again, thereā€™s still some delicious pastries in the fridge :yum:

Im taking tomorrow off, but ill b back in the pool again on Friday.

signing out,

DM

8 Likes

Wow, DM, some great stats! I know, a result of your super hard work and effort, but you ARE amazing. Happy holidays!!

5 Likes

WELL IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY;EXPERIEMENT#1:

I REALLY HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU:

I havent swam in a little over a week. I had a sneezing fit and burst the blood vessels in my left eye. I looked like a vampire. It didnt hurt, but I was concerned so I went to the eye doctor for an examination. He told me not to worry about it at all, but to definately not go back into the pool until it had cleared up. Well, this morning it looked almost healed. There was a small spot of bright red in the outer corner, but compared to what it had been, this seemed like nothing to worry about, so I went swimming.

so today I went to the pool. Not my usual swim day, but I simply had to get into that water again ASAP.

I wont bother you with stats today, but a new thing happened during my swim which I think is definately worth mentioning.

When I was getting ready to jump in, I did a finger stick and my BG was 106. I took the usual amount of carbs needed for my swim, and jumped into the pool. However, when I was done with my swim, my sugars were 58!!! OMG. Holy cow. I wasnt certain what to do. Instinctively I took some carbs, but I was pretty certain that by the time I got upstairs to the lockers that my BG would have climbed bc of all the time off on Zero basal. But, when I got up to the locker room, my sugars were only 61. I was afraid to bolus any replacement insulin , and on top of that I took another glucose tablet (4gms carbs). I showered, got dressed, and did another finger stick before leaving for home. My BG was now 65. I still felt uncomfortable bolusing, so I skipped it and walked home.

once home, I tested again, and my BG had came up to 78. I bolused for my refuel 3.2 U/h. and I waited my usual 15 minutes before drinking. However, my sugars began rising quickly. I assumed this was bc I didnt do the replacement bolus for my time off of my pump and on the zero basal beforehand and while I was in the shower (almost a total of 1 hour). So, when my BG had climbed to 103 from 78 in a matter of 10 minutes, I decided to bolus the .3U/h I had skipped earlier. I am trying to use Ericā€™s method of using The Force, but truly I havent a clue if I chose the ā€œrightā€ thing to do. It was just my gut reaction.

I started using the Dexcom G6 2 days ago. It has not been accurate at all. This bothers me. I had no success on the G4 or the G5, but I was holding my breath and hoping this new updated version would work for me. Perhaps I need to find another site to wear it on. Time will tell.

I REALLY HOPE THAT THIS INFO HELPS SOMEONE IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY, WHETHER DUE TO EXERCISE OR ANYTHING ELSE. I WILL CERTAINLY KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE OUTCOME OF MY CHOICES WITH THE CARB TAKING AND THE BOLUSING.

signing out,

DM

8 Likes

Iā€™m on the edge of my seat DM. What happened after the .3 u/h bolus? Did everything get stable?

The Dexcom system is famously inaccurate - as Dexcom will acknowledge. The big advantage they push is the ability to see the dynamics of changes in BG movement. And thatā€™s true, except when the sensors start malfunctioning. Then the dynamics that the sensor generates are wildly inaccurate and misleading. I expect you know all this?

4 Likes

Thank you for responding!!! After too many calibrations and alarms going off inaccurately, I took the darn sensor off. I couldnt take it anymore. I called up their customer service and they are sending me a replacement one. I put in a new one on the opposite side of my tummy. Weā€™ll see how that goes. I just started it so I am in the ā€œwarm-upā€ period for the next 2 hours. :grimacing:

This is definately worse than the Freestyle Libre I had been using. that was notoriously inaccurate, but it was always inaccurate by the same readings: about 20 points too low, but consistent.

I recovered well from yesterdays low after swimming. I didnt have much of a problem with adding the extra .3U/h. I went slightly low twice, but I had some Key Lime Pie and all was well :rofl: :yum: :yum: :yum: If I need something sweet, I would much rather have Key Lime Pie or Pumpkin Pie than Skittles any day of the week, even if it just a spoonful.

Thanks again. I dont understand why so many of us are able to bolus off the readings on the Dex. I wouldnā€™t have dared. I have now tried the G4, the G5 and now I am trying the G6. UGH!!!

4 Likes