GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

First I’ve heard about this.

Here is a good article.

3 Likes

Glad you are feeling better, and back in the pool. Great swim today and amazingly, tight BGs! I hope your husband is recovering well from the surgery, too.

I have a friend who got Norovirus and he had a very similar experience as you, saying it was awful. His whole family got sick, too.

4 Likes

MM2, Thank you so much for this informative article. Although I know so many people who got it, and seemed to get it all at the same time, it side swiped me and my husband like nothing else. It was actually worse than when I had CoVid! (but I had inoculations and boosters before I ended up getting CoVid, and I had been wearing a mask for the entire time beforehand)

3 Likes

OOPS, TOOK TOO MANY GLUCOSE TABS BEFORE MY SWIM, EXPERIMENT #1:

I was so excited to be going swimming two days in a row and had walked like a lunatic to get to the pool, and I was so discombobulated by the time I got there that I didnt accurately calculate the amount of pre-swim glucose beforehand.Then once I realized what I had done I was certain that I would mess up my tight control, that I would get out of the pool with high BGs, so I swam as hard and as fast as my back could tolerate.

But all worked out as well as I could have wished for. When I was done with my swim, my BGs were 95. I was very pleased. I went in at 105, took enough tablets to bring me up to 160 (OMG!) and swam my heart out.

I was figuring out whether to swim longer (if my back held out) or to do a small correction if my sugars were too high (for my liking) once I got back up to the locker room. I was calculating and calculating my options, and then I realized it was interfering with my swimming pleasure, and I let all that wasted thinking go. I always want to remember that I am not a Diabetic when I am swimming. I am free, healthy and happy. I am a full fledged member of FUD gosh darn it!

Tomorrow I will be going over to my dads to give him a haircut, so I wont be swimming. But, I’ll b back in the pool Friday. Tuesdays and Fridays are the best swim days bc there are no pool exercise classes and all the lanes are open, so they are the most meditative for me (today was very crowded). Im looking forward to it.

Signing out,

DM

5 Likes

Thankfully no, but it’s the famous Cruise Ship bug. Very contagious.

3 Likes

First, I am so glad you are finally feeling better DM. Second, yes, I had the norovirus years ago when one kid brought it home from school. The absolute awfulness of it and lack of control that you have over yourself is unforgettable. I can’t believe it’s spreading around Brooklyn like that – I thought it was only contagious in that manner on cruise ships and prisons, etc! Horrible. So glad you are better.

5 Likes

DM your recovery and ability to persevere under painful circumstances are amazing! Thank you for sticking with it, Thank you for being part of FUD. You are awesome! Sorry about the Norovirus, sounds awful.

5 Likes

WHY OH WHY DO I GO HIGH FROM YOGURT? EXPERIMENT#1:

I could eat a high carb meal and stay easily in my target range. No problems at all. However, whenever I have yogurts (any type: greek, sheep, goat…all plain/no sugars added) my sugars rise considerably. I am guessing that this has something to do with the lactose in it. But I can easily digest cheeses without a problem whatsoever. I dont even need to bolus if I’m just having a snack of it. But that darn yogurt!!!

And I like it in the mornings, especially before a swim bc I get all the protein I need with very little grams of carbs and it tastes great (I like the Goat’s Milk the best) But I cant seem to escape the problem with the BG rise from it. Does anyone else have this issue? I can even eat as much as two servings of oatmeal (76gms of carbs), and I dont get this post meal swell. Its crazy. And annoying. I’ll have to experiment a little more to solve this issue bc I dont want to give up enjoying eating my yogurt :pray:

when I woke up this morning my sugars were 79, and by the time I was done with the yogurt (with no IOB), my sugars had climbed to 136!
So, as soon as I had no more IOB I dashed to the pool to swim off the high BG. When I got to the pool, my sugars had come down to 120, so I took 4gms of glucose and jumped right in. It was a wonderful swim. Nobody in the pool today (Fridays seem to be the best day of the week during the hour that I am in the pool [before the lunchtime crowd] ) I can really get into that wonderful groove where I can let my mind wander and experience the feeling of the water and I can focus on my stroke.

So as I am writing this my Dexcom alarm just went off. My Dex showed a 65 with an arrow going down on an angle. So I did a finger stick and my sugars were 54. I took 8gms of glucose and am finishing my Boost refuel shakes. Hope that solves the problem…

I was wondering if anyone goes low while they are eating. And if anyone of you are a slow eater, as I am, and I am wondering if eating so slowly can cause a BG to drop. Does my NovoLog peak while I am still eating? Is there a correlation?

I am having my back procedure this Monday. I’m nervous as hell but hoping it helps rid my pain…even just some of it. I (obviously) wont be swimming for a bit afterwards, but I’ll be eager to get back into that pool ASAP.

Have a great weekend everyone! :star_struck:

signing out,

DM

5 Likes

I do that all the time. That helps me prevent a post-meal spike.

3 Likes

I never thought about that. I dont have post meal spikes either. I tend to go lower after a meal than higher.

2 Likes

I frequently go low while eating, but usualy just for a few cycles til the food starts to metabolize. I also tend to spike post meal, but several hours later, post meal.

3 Likes

That’s me,

4 Likes

That’s me too. My endo suggests that I need to do extended bolus at lunch - and when i remember to do that, I get better control. So if you can do extended boluses, that’s something to think about.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m on a pump, DIY Loop auto-bolus, so can’t do extended, but it makes sense. I just monitor CGM closely post-meal, and do fake carbs as I start to spike. I could also do an override for more insulin, but I’m more comfortable doing small corrections along the way.

3 Likes

I learned this from some others on FUD - if you enter some longer carbs, it’s basically like an extended bolus with loop.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, you are right, I forgot about that technique. I could set Absorption Time to a longer period, say 5 or 6 hours. I usually just accept the default of 3 hours. I will try the longer hours tonight! Thanks for the suggestion!

4 Likes

I actually made a modification to the code which is pretty easy, if you want to do this.

In the standard Loop code, I think the limit for food was something like 8 hours.

I changed it to 24 hours. I thought that might be useful like after a Covid vaccine for example.

If you want to see which file I edited and what my code changes were, I can post them.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks, that’s great. I don’t think I would ever use a 24 hour absorption rate, well, except for illness, as you mention!! I could see that being useful for illness, and for abnormal absorption due to other reasons primarily like stress, too! And of course, lack of exercise, due to over work, lack of time, etc., etc.!

1 Like

My thought was - it’s an easy change, and I’d rather it be available and never use it, instead of wanting it and not being able to have it.

The change is easy. You take one value in the code (the 8 hours) and change it to 24 hours.

The challenge was finding it! :grinning:
But I can tell you where it is if you want it.

1 Like

I agree. Yes, thanks, please let me know! I’m still on v2.2.9, but I’d like to make that change for those really bad days!!

2 Likes